Need help, oil mixing with coolant

4 replies to this topic
  • ctelms

Posted September 06, 2005 - 01:04 PM

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to Thumper Talk. Wish I had known about this site earlier. I have a problem with my 00' YZ426F. I was riding up in the mountains and noticed motor oil mixed with coolant coming from what I guess is the coolant vent hose. The bike continued to run until I got back to the truck, however it wont stay started now and just runs crappy. I've heard of a few things it could be...anyone have any ideas?

• alfie

Posted September 06, 2005 - 01:41 PM

It sounds as thought your head gasket as blown, allowing the motor oil to mix with the coolant.Also check to see if theres coolant in the motor oil as well and maybe just to double check see if you can get a compression check done.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Frostbite

Posted September 07, 2005 - 04:59 AM

First check the simple things. Confirm that it is the coolant overflow hose and not the crankcase vent hose. It's fairly common for white creamy crap to blow out of the crank vent hose. Is your engine oil cloudy? Is your coolant in the rads cloudy?
It may also be a water pump seal gone bad which is also very common. There are 2 seals on the water pump shaft, one holds back oil, the other coolant. There is a weep hole under the pump that will usually drain whatever is leaking, but yours may be plugged.
This wouldn't explain the poor running, a head gasket would, but it could also be a seperate issue.

• speddie3

Posted September 07, 2005 - 07:13 AM

sure sounds like a head gasket to me. like they said check the levels and if your at all unsure do a oil change, then you know there will be good oil in there and you can work off that. coolant in the oil==white oil

another thing, let the bike cool off and take the rad cap off and look down in there to see if there is oil floating aound on top of the green. If thats the case it sure sounds like a head gask. make sure u flush the cooling system regardless when your done.

How many hours are on your bike, has it been raced?? any motor work done???

• ctelms

Posted September 07, 2005 - 08:57 AM

Well these things will get me started. I haven't raced the bike, but I am addicted to climbing hills, which keeps the RPM's up. I will change the oil and coolant and go from there. Hopefully not a head gasket!!! Thx

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.