03 YZ450 frames???????

13 replies to this topic
  • BigDesto

Posted September 06, 2005 - 07:56 AM

Ok, how many of you have frames that are leaking OIL out of them?? Found a couple of drops of oil on the floor!!!! Upon further inspection i notice that my frame is leaking oil from under the headset left side of frame!! Looks like the paint is coming off!!! Oil is sweating out from it!! Geuss i need to get it welded????

• grayracer513

Posted September 06, 2005 - 09:53 AM

I have heard of this before. Usually happens to frames that have been jumped a lot, although I don't think it's a very common problem. A competent welder should be able to fix you up.

• BigDesto

Posted September 06, 2005 - 10:51 AM

Hmmmmm I did case a triple pretty hard a few weeks ago and now it's sweating oil from the weld! Hard to sell when theres oil dripping down the frame!! :D

• TIM696

Posted September 06, 2005 - 12:26 PM

I'm having the same problem on the right side I'm getting oil on the bottom of the right radiator but cant find the leak because it seems like it is only leaking when I'm riding the bike. Did you use something to find your leak or was it in plain view for you to find it. :D

• BigDesto

Posted September 06, 2005 - 12:47 PM

Check all the weld seams near the bottom of the headset, mine is barely sweating out to form a drop of oil @ the bottom of the down tube along where the drain screw is. Prolly steel brush the paint off and have my friend throw a bead on it.

• TIM696

Posted September 06, 2005 - 01:02 PM

Is there any possibility that it could be spraying up the down tube from one of the oil lines because if I let it go and run a full moto its all over my engine, head pipe and radiator.

• BigDesto

Posted September 06, 2005 - 01:13 PM

sounds like a line is leaking if your head pipe/rad is full of oil. If your engine is full of oil it might be your overfow line spraying onto your engine if overfilled.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TIM696

Posted September 06, 2005 - 01:33 PM

Is there another line other than the two that come from the top of the valve cover plus I don't think thats the problem I checked the oil level twice over.

• squidracer

Posted September 06, 2005 - 01:52 PM

Dry sump it! :D

• Satch0922

Posted September 06, 2005 - 04:23 PM

the 426's had that happen as well.

• grayracer513

Posted September 06, 2005 - 05:50 PM

I'm having the same problem on the right side I'm getting oil on the bottom of the right radiator but cant find the leak because it seems like it is only leaking when I'm riding the bike. Did you use something to find your leak or was it in plain view for you to find it. :D

In your case, check the front of the cylinder head just above the exhaust port, and see if there's a 1/2" hole there. If there is, welcome to the Blown Out Decomp Bore Plug Club. You need to check your bretaher tube to be sure it isn't pinched or something, then get One of These :D

• yzf450jack

Posted September 06, 2005 - 06:16 PM

Is the Decompression Plug still in the head :D

• BigDesto

Posted September 07, 2005 - 06:59 AM

Dry sump it! :D

Dubach kit?? You try it?

• MotoNatz88

Posted September 07, 2005 - 01:13 PM

You blew out your decom. plug. I did the same thing on my 03' 450 and I was pissed when I found out. Just get the replacment off here they work good.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.