wr450 rad guards

16 replies to this topic
  • old man dan

Posted September 05, 2005 - 09:05 PM

I'm looking for rad guards for my 05 wr450 but what i want to try to find is something that wraps under the radiators (particularly the right hand rad) to protect it from heat from the header pipe. I lose a cup or two of coolant every ride and I think that part of the reason is that the header is so close to the rad. Anybody seen any like that or has anybody come up with their own solution.

• Indy_WR450

Posted September 05, 2005 - 09:59 PM

Buy unabiker rad guards from our TT store! :D
There needs to be a half inch clearance between the header and the radiator.
You can put reflective heat tape on the radiator bottom close to the header. :D

• gregwr450f

Posted September 05, 2005 - 11:41 PM

I got heat tape on the bottom of my rad and it made a big diff.

• Matty05

Posted September 06, 2005 - 12:51 AM

Im thinking about doing that to the bottom of my tank.

• old man dan

Posted September 06, 2005 - 07:45 AM

tell me about this heat reflective tape, what does it look like, where do i get it and how do I apply it?

• clark4131

Posted September 06, 2005 - 08:20 AM

I got some aluminum tape from Wal-Mart. It was with the all the duct and masking tape in their paint section. I put it on the bottom of my gas tank and on my rear fender to shield them from the exhaust. It's cheap and works very well...SC

• old man dan

Posted September 07, 2005 - 07:20 AM

I found some heat shield tape at a speed shop. It's made to protect underhood parts from exhaust heat, rated to 1300 degrees. If it works well I'll post the brand name and part number if anybody's interested.

• Matty05

Posted September 07, 2005 - 02:56 PM

I got some aluminum tape from Wal-Mart. It was with the all the duct and masking tape in their paint section. I put it on the bottom of my gas tank and on my rear fender to shield them from the exhaust. It's cheap and works very well...SC

Does it keep your fuel cool? I can feel my fuel getting quite warm on a long ride.
I got some of that Aluminium tape from my work. I knew it would be useful for something!

"If you are not shopping at work, you are paying too much!" :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted September 07, 2005 - 07:57 PM

I don't think it keeps the fuel any cooler, but I put it there to keep the tank from suffering any heat damage...SC

• old man dan

Posted September 12, 2005 - 08:53 AM

Well, I tried the bike with the heat tape on and it doesn't seem to have made any difference. Every time I ride I lose about 300 ml of (1/3 pint) of coolant into the recovery tank. I think I might try to find some Engine Ice or similar.

• ample

Posted September 12, 2005 - 10:03 AM

Well, I tried the bike with the heat tape on and it doesn't seem to have made any difference. Every time I ride I lose about 300 ml of (1/3 pint) of coolant into the recovery tank. I think I might try to find some Engine Ice or similar.

I've heard that you should flush your rads thoroughly if you are gonna switch to Engine Ice...something about water pumps failing?

Also, isn't it normal for coolant to overflow into the recovery tank while riding? I thought that was the whole point....for coolant to overflow into the reservoir when the engine is hot, and draw coolant back into the radiator as the motor cools?

• old man dan

Posted September 12, 2005 - 11:02 AM

The point of the tank is catch coolant when it overheats, I just don't think it should overheat that often. If coolant is boiling out past the cap it is running too hot. Plus, it never goees back on it's own. I have to pull the hose off the bottle, catch it in a cup and pour in into the radiator. It's part of my pre-ride prep now. I'm going to try a mix of 75% anti-freeze (instead of 50/50) just because it's easy. But the real point is I just don't think it should run this hot. By the way, it never did this when I was breaking it in. I never rode it really slowly so i'm sure thats why, just open trails and dirt roads. Now that I ride single track it's an issue. I also did all of the free mods and installed JD jetting after the break-in so I don't know if that had any effect on the temp. Any help would be appreciated, anybody else experiencing this?

• minion

Posted September 12, 2005 - 06:09 PM

The point of the tank is catch coolant when it overheats, I just don't think it should overheat that often. If coolant is boiling out past the cap it is running too hot. Plus, it never goees back on it's own. I have to pull the hose off the bottle, catch it in a cup and pour in into the radiator. It's part of my pre-ride prep now. I'm going to try a mix of 75% anti-freeze (instead of 50/50) just because it's easy. But the real point is I just don't think it should run this hot. By the way, it never did this when I was breaking it in. I never rode it really slowly so i'm sure thats why, just open trails and dirt roads. Now that I ride single track it's an issue. I also did all of the free mods and installed JD jetting after the break-in so I don't know if that had any effect on the temp. Any help would be appreciated, anybody else experiencing this?

If you're jetting is too lean it'll be too hot. If its 90F out or hotter, I can hear my radiator percolating, but the level in the overflow never seems to change. My best guess would be its too lean. But, these things also run very hot... Does your header glow? Thats normal... And that is also freaking hot! =)

• dman450f

Posted September 12, 2005 - 06:50 PM

hey dan , try water wetter, I did and the bike runs cool . also , the bike is supposed to vent into the tank , the cap is a low pressure unit to let that happen although it should suck it back in when cool . some , actually most racers remove the tank and run a high pressure cap so it wont vent ... :banghead:

• old man dan

Posted September 13, 2005 - 02:39 PM

I just bought some "Water Wetter". I'll try it and see how it works. I understand how the system is supposed to work (I was a mechanic for over 20 years) I just don't think the coolant shoud get SO hot SO often. I don't really even think the engine is getting all that hot, I really think that the rad is just too close to the header and when there is little or no air flow (like when going slowly through the woods) the heat is transfering to the rad. The pipe is ridiculously close, not much more than 1/2 inch at best. I think they would be better to build the radiator a little shorter and keep it further from the header.

• old man dan

Posted September 18, 2005 - 08:29 PM

Well, I tried the "Water Wetter" mixed with a 75% anti freeze/water mix and didn't lose a drop on a 45K ride with plenty of slow stuf. Really happy about that. Thanks to Dman for the info.

• joshbeene

Posted September 19, 2005 - 09:50 AM

I have been riding my 2005 WR450 for 9 months now and I have never had to add coolant. I ride almost every week and the coolant has not changed. something else might be wrong with your bike. Check your oil after a ride and see if it is foamy. If it is foamy your coolant is getting into your oil. If it is fine, you are either burning it or have a slow leak. Don't buy the watter wetter or ice cooler stuff, I have asked several engineers and they all have told me the same thing, "It is a gimic." and does not make a difference, the heat properties are not effected much by what liquid is in the radiator. You could take a piss in your radiator if you were in a tight spot and it would work just fine. I would not reccomend it, but if you did, don't forget to flush it out when you get back.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.