Need New Mexico Riding Info

8 replies to this topic
  • Dougie

Posted March 19, 2001 - 07:47 PM

Help, I am looking for info on riding areas in New Mexico. Trails, forest and mountain please. Preferably around the Santa Fe, Taos area. Definitely north of Albuquerque. Enough to keep us riding for at least 4-5 days.

Me and some buddies are thinking of forsaking our annual Memorial Weekend Moab trip for something new. Average weather and riding condition info during that weekend would be appreciated too. Thanks.

• James_in_New_Mexico

Posted March 20, 2001 - 04:52 AM

I can't say for sure where to ride north of ALB. but there are many forest areas such as Jemez, Santa Fe, Gila, etc...

Around Alb. though there are many areas to ride such as Rio Puerco, nine mile hill, montesa, I mostly ride around my home or at the Rio Puerco, sorry I'm not much help.

• James_in_New_Mexico

Posted March 20, 2001 - 04:54 AM

Also forgot to mention that nights and mornings will be very cool. Afternoons will get in the high 80s mid 90s.

• dwby2kwr

Posted March 20, 2001 - 07:22 PM

Dougie, im not real familar with areas north of santa fe, but if you find some good areas and dont mind a couple more people, my neighbor and I would love to join the ride for a day or two.

If you decide to hit albuquerque for a day i meet of a little more help.

I will see if i can get any help on areas around santa fe. ill let you know what i find out.

y2k wr, airbox lid and baffle removed, 180 main, 45 pilot, 426yz er needle,
wr timing

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dwby2kwr

Posted March 20, 2001 - 07:26 PM

where do you live in Abq. i am on sw mesa, I ride to nine mile hill from my garage. also have a couple other small places to ride. one is even on the airforce base.

lets get together for a ride some time. i work a lot of saturdays so i usually ride on sundays.

do you ride in any of the NMDRC races or prerides? There is one coming up in April in Soccorro. and one in abq in May

y2k wr, airbox lid and baffle removed, 180 main, 45 pilot, 426yz er needle,
wr timing

• BruceWA

Posted March 20, 2001 - 07:28 PM

Try and contact Roger Pattison. He's in Clovis, NM. He promoted the LEER rallies in the early to mid 90's and knows the state extremely well. If you need his info contact me via e-mail.

• James_in_New_Mexico

Posted March 21, 2001 - 05:38 AM

I am in Rio Rancho, I ride in the mesa across from my housing development and also at the end of Southern Blvd. I haven't ridden anywhere else yet because I just got a way to transport the bike about three months ago and I don't know anyone who rides the other ares.

Lets hook up sometime, Sundays wiould be good for me. Email me at

• Vincent

Posted March 23, 2001 - 08:33 PM

Do you frequent ? If you do, go over there and put a post in the "Places to ride" forum. Specifically, address it to Trailryder42. He's from Texas (his real name is Derek) and he's ridden all over your state and all over northern New Mexico. He hired a guide to show him around the jemez mountains and he's also ridden up around Red River, Taos, etc...

He rides down here in my neck of the woods too, which is the southern part of New Mexico. I have miles and miles of beautiful trails just 16 miles from my house up in the mountains above the desert floor (Cloudcroft/Lincoln National Forest). But, I think I live a bit further south than you are wanting to go. I'm about 3 1/2 hours south of Albuquerque.

Anyways...get a hold of him, Im sure he can give you some good advice/tips.

[This message has been edited by Vincent (edited 03-23-2001).]

• Dougie

Posted March 24, 2001 - 09:52 AM

I already posted on DRN also. Sounds like there is something in that Taos area. We are debating if we want to go further South of Albuquerque. Cloudcroft sounds like a great place. I drove down from Denver to Belen (just South of Albuquerque) in Aug. to see an old friend. It took me about 7 hours. So I'm probably looking at 11 hours to Cloudcroft. That may be too far for us. But we are taking a long weekend. So it may work out.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.