XR650R over revving

9 replies to this topic
  • pbusanga

Posted September 05, 2005 - 02:09 AM

Hi can anyone tell me if there is a rev limiter on the XR650r. sometimes when i let the engine rev out in 4th gear it falters / stutters i am not sure (as there is no tach) if i am over revving or if i have a carb problem.
thanks

• BrettJ

Posted September 05, 2005 - 02:24 AM

Yes there is a limiter bout 8500 stock i think, from what you have said i can't say weather its limiter or carb problem

• BrettJ

Posted September 05, 2005 - 02:29 AM

that being said I have hit limiter maybe 2-3 times the whole time I have owned my bike bout 4 months, there is just not need to have it revving that high most of its power is in the low rpm's

• XRMANU

Posted September 05, 2005 - 02:47 AM

Main jet too rich?

• miguelitro

Posted September 05, 2005 - 06:19 AM

I hit the rev limiter all the time:p we really need more technical riding here in socal though.
could be a carb issue though too, you really gotta wind the sob out hit the limiter
too rich main? could be but if it started bobbling all the sudden its not jetting.
try a good clean

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted September 05, 2005 - 07:26 AM

Actually the rev limiter is easy to hit if your pushing the bike to it's max rpms. There is a after market CDI that raises the point at which the rev limiter activates. I don't think you need it though since you have already used the best portion of its power getting to the limiter.

• rippinroche

Posted September 05, 2005 - 06:58 PM

Is the bike uncorked ?

• Max Power

Posted September 05, 2005 - 07:03 PM

Hi can anyone tell me if there is a rev limiter on the XR650r. sometimes when i let the engine rev out in 4th gear it falters / stutters i am not sure (as there is no tach) if i am over revving or if i have a carb problem.
thanks

What happens when you shift to fifth.

• captb

Posted September 05, 2005 - 07:23 PM

You can remove the left side airfilter cover and take it for a blast if it's rich it should run better, watch the filter don't fall out, mine was a tad rich on top, I did the side cover mod and it's much more lively at higher revs and jetting seems very good now. Mines geared tall and has a slight surge on the hiway at 75 mph 1/3 throttle but mpg is so good I don't want to fug with it.

• pbusanga

Posted September 06, 2005 - 12:57 AM

hi when i change to 5th or back of throttle the stutter goes away. the bike is uncorked with an edelbrock carb and fmf powercore and powerbomb header.
strangely i have not noticed this in the lower gears although i tend to short shift in lower gears to keep the bike in the powerband (and to keep the front wheel on the ground....) and only wind it open when in 4th to get top speed. the bike is brand new and this has happened from the beggining it is not something that has appeared over time.
i am not an experienced thumper rider having ridden fierblades etc where you wind them out to the max.
tell you what though i have much more fun on this than i do on my fireblade.
cheers

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.