- - - - -

Road tyres on an xr650r

• Please sign in to reply

14 replies to this topic
  • Fordskin

TT Bronze Member

132 posts

Posted September 05, 2005 - 01:09 AM

I will soon be buying an xr650r and thought of buying a second set of wheels and road tyres to use only when i do road trips. Seems to be that some people spend a lot of money and time setting these bikes up as a ''motard". Motards seem to be not as popular in Australia as they are in the USA. At what point does my bike become a motard if just using road tyres. What are the recomendations for a standard motard setup?Thanks.

• BrettJ

TT Bronze Member

402 posts

Posted September 05, 2005 - 01:58 AM

To be a true motard you need to go and buy special rims and tyres not just wack road tyres on normal rims. Motard rims are really expensive and when I priced them they were about $2000 AUS just for the rims then you have to get hubs and tyres ut ends up costing big $$$. You can just put normal road tyes on the stock rims I believe the front tyre of Harleys fit straight on; this would make road riding much easier and fun but don't be fooled into thinking that you are ready for motard now. Since with stock rims the front is bigger than the rear you are not able to drift the back out anywhere close to what you can with motard rims. By the way where abouts in Aus are you?

• Fordskin

TT Bronze Member

132 posts

Posted September 05, 2005 - 03:44 AM

I am in Brisbane's bayside. Yeh i guess i'm not looking at hanging the rear out on the tar. I would just like to be able to take it up the the local scenic mountain drive and have some fun on those steep hills. I dont have the bike yet. Pick it up next month. I have been quoted a great price, $10,200 registered out the door. I am just trying to decide what else i need to do to the bike to suit me. I am 110kilos and 6ft 4in.

• mickoz

TT Member

58 posts

Posted September 05, 2005 - 03:45 AM

You can buy fully set up wheels for about $1800 using talon hubs and morad rims. Using excel rims brings the price up to about $1900 Australian. You can buy them from Ballards or John Titman racing products. Both these businesses are in N.S.W. Or you can convert wheels off a sports bike, eg cbr250 is a popular choice. But to do it this way you need to get the rims machined and set up to suit. Hope this helps

Mick

• BrettJ

TT Bronze Member

402 posts

Posted September 05, 2005 - 04:31 AM

yeah thought it was around 2g could remember if that included everything thou.... If you just want a nice ride on road then the road tyres on standard rims would do just fine. Other mods I would advise for your build are:
1) Tapered Bags
2) Suspension re-valve
3) adjust your rear shock tighter for a higher firmer ride
4) other stuff - uncork, chop air box, new muffler

• Cruise283

TT Member

55 posts

Posted September 05, 2005 - 04:47 AM

All ozzy thread!!
I've got a 2000 XR650R, also thought about going road tyres, i've got a set of tyres, just got to decide whether to use alternate wheels, or try to find another set of standard wheels. But it's not a huge issue at the moment, next thing on list is Edelbrock pumper carb, for a bit more grunt and better throttle response.

Rob

• Cruise283

TT Member

55 posts

Posted September 05, 2005 - 04:48 AM

Anyone near sydney or wollongong??

• mightymart

TT Bronze Member

157 posts

Posted November 22, 2007 - 03:00 AM

I know this is an old thread but I have just bought a second set of wheels for my XR650R for just road use, I currently run Bridgestone grittys but to be frank any thing over 60mph is dangerous on the tarmac, hence the second set of wheels.
Any more suggestions on a good road tyre on stock rims ?

• rm298z

TT Bronze Member

268 posts

Posted November 22, 2007 - 05:21 PM

Posted Image

I was too cheap to buy 17's. These stick awesome even on the stock rims. Not nearly bad as I expected on dirt roads either. I do mostly commuting and knobbies just did not last long enough and were way to dangerous for any large amount of road riding.

Tires are Bridgestone bt-45's. Suppose to be a 10000 mile tire. Stick great, amazing in the rain compared to any dual sport tire.

• mightymart

TT Bronze Member

157 posts

Posted November 23, 2007 - 01:42 AM

Many thanks.
Do you have the same on the front because I can't seem to find a 21inch, also what sizes are the tyres.

• zrt1

TT Member

69 posts

Posted November 23, 2007 - 06:32 AM

Ive had great luck with Avon Distanzia tires on the stock rims.

• rm298z

TT Bronze Member

268 posts

Posted November 23, 2007 - 08:45 AM

Many thanks.
Do you have the same on the front because I can't seem to find a 21inch, also what sizes are the tyres.

I think I put a 120 on the back and ran whatever size 21" they had on the front. I was going to go even wider on the back but was afraid it would become too round and not flat enough. 120 seems to work good. They are the H-rated BT-45. There is another BT-45 with a higher speed rating and stickier compound, but they don't make it in a 21" for the front. In case you continue having trouble finding it, this is the place I bought mine. http://www.motorcycl...Front-Tire.aspx

They are tubeless tires, but I've run a tube in them with no problems.

If you are looking for even more info, try supermotojunkie.com. Out here they call it a sportsman setup when you just run the stock rims with dirt tires. The front xr650r brake is horrible on the dirt and even more horrible on the street. A lot of street riders usually upgrade to a oversize front rotor too.

• needsprayer

TT Titanium Member

2,189 posts

Posted November 23, 2007 - 09:15 AM

Posted Image

Avon Gripsters

• FoolishMortal

TT Bronze Member

116 posts

Posted November 23, 2007 - 10:08 AM

If you are looking for even more info, try supermotojunkie.com. Out here they call it a sportsman setup when you just run the stock rims with dirt tires. The front xr650r brake is horrible on the dirt and even more horrible on the street. A lot of street riders usually upgrade to a oversize front rotor too.

Zackly. Plenty of guys go plenty fast with a Sportsman set-up at the track.

On the stock rims (18/21) for the XR6, I was running Pirelli Scorpion tires with great results, but Distanzias are very popular. The real reason that people go to the 17" wheels is to have access to the stickiest street rubber - and the look, of course. :thumbsup:

• bart dm

TT Member

38 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 11:17 PM

xr65orrrrrrrr.jpg

I was too cheap to buy 17's. These stick awesome even on the stock rims. Not nearly bad as I expected on dirt roads either. I do mostly commuting and knobbies just did not last long enough and were way to dangerous for any large amount of road riding.

Tires are Bridgestone bt-45's. Suppose to be a 10000 mile tire. Stick great, amazing in the rain compared to any dual sport tire.

normaly the bt 45 are tires for tubeless use...

apparently there is nog 18inch size tire that goes with the tubeless config

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  181 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.