450 tranny...

12 replies to this topic
  • dman450f

Posted September 04, 2005 - 07:12 PM

hey guys , I am noticing that my 450 doesnt like to go into first all that well..realizing this on a very steep downhill today when I let the clutch out and the bike is in neutral...VERY exciting stuff :D ....happened more then once...bike only has 150 miles on it so far...hope this is not a big deal man... :D

• SPDFRK450

Posted September 05, 2005 - 11:31 AM

Been there crashed that

• Kamik

Posted September 05, 2005 - 01:07 PM

ya that's happened to me before too a couple times, everything on the bike is still loosening up. after i did my first oil change things started to get better, and the tranny seems to shift pretty good now, i don't hit a false neutral when i'm trying to get 2nd gear barely ever anymore, and i can find neutral easier now. i say just give it a bit more time for things to work themselves in, it should get better.

• dman450f

Posted September 05, 2005 - 06:23 PM

ya that's happened to me before too a couple times, everything on the bike is still loosening up. after i did my first oil change things started to get better, and the tranny seems to shift pretty good now, i don't hit a false neutral when i'm trying to get 2nd gear barely ever anymore, and i can find neutral easier now. i say just give it a bit more time for things to work themselves in, it should get better.

yeah , thats what i am hoping...the bike is awsome...real dusty up here right now..trying to put miles on the bike ..cant wait till it rains... :D

• Matty05

Posted September 06, 2005 - 12:57 AM

yeah , thats what i am hoping...the bike is awsome...real dusty up here right now..trying to put miles on the bike ..cant wait till it rains... :D

I know that feeling...................

• Joe Reitman

Posted September 06, 2005 - 07:34 AM

My KX did that sometimes until I started running sythetic oil. THat really helped the shifting. The WR gets synthetic on next oil change (3rd change, will be at about 250 miles or so).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fast_guy

Posted September 06, 2005 - 07:38 AM

My crf 450 did the same thing till I welded a shorter shift lever onto the shaft, it is from an old xr 100, the metal shifter is way stronger and having it welded to the shaft allows you to really stomp it into gear without stripping the splines. It works awesom and I am way faster now.

• simon@vic

Posted September 06, 2005 - 07:52 AM

i have the opposet problem. mine is all loose and floppy now.
want to trade?

• dman450f

Posted September 06, 2005 - 03:19 PM

i have the opposet problem. mine is all loose and floppy now.
want to trade?

nah...I think I will wait it out man... :D everything is so perfect after all the mods that I may be a little picky now :D

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 06, 2005 - 03:46 PM

I just noticed yesterday that my shifting isn't as good as I'd like it to be. Seems when I downshift I have to have the clutch in the right spot for the lever to go down into the lower gear. I've been using Motul 10-40 full synthetic E-tech 100 and change my oil like crazy... Maybe it's time for a change... :D

• dman450f

Posted September 06, 2005 - 03:57 PM

I just noticed yesterday that my shifting isn't as good as I'd like it to be. Seems when I downshift I have to have the clutch in the right spot for the lever to go down into the lower gear. I've been using Motul 10-40 full synthetic E-tech 100 and change my oil like crazy... Maybe it's time for a change... :D

Im wondering if it could be clutch related...I use golden spectro 10 40 synthetic blend and the bike up shifts great :D

• clark4131

Posted September 06, 2005 - 06:02 PM

After a little review, I just realized during this last oil change (yesterday) is when I switched over to synthetic. I haven't been keeping an exact running total of mileage, but I'm guessing I'm in the 700 mile range, though I am at 25 hours on the old Sendec. I too noticed during my last ride, that I had some issues with downshifting into first. Fortunately, it never happened when I was moving, only after I had stopped for a moment to decide which way to turn or to marvel at how fat and out-of-shape I had become. In any event, I would have to rock the bike a bit in order to get first to engage from neutral. Now from my experience with every bike I've had, that's entirely normal. I was having an issue popping it into neutral while upshifting from first to second, but a relocation of the shift lever cured that issue, not to mention I was riding with a new pair of boots that fit a bit differently than my old ones. I'm hoping to get out on the bike this weeked to see how the new Amsoil makes things mesh, but since I've run it all my bikes previously, I'm expecting it to make things smoother. From what I've learned over the last 26 years riding, shifting issues as described in this thread are often the result of a change in technique rather than an internal mechanical problem. New boots screwed me up, so who know :D ...SC

• dman450f

Posted September 06, 2005 - 06:29 PM

After a little review, I just realized during this last oil change (yesterday) is when I switched over to synthetic. I haven't been keeping an exact running total of mileage, but I'm guessing I'm in the 700 mile range, though I am at 25 hours on the old Sendec. I too noticed during my last ride, that I had some issues with downshifting into first. Fortunately, it never happened when I was moving, only after I had stopped for a moment to decide which way to turn or to marvel at how fat and out-of-shape I had become. In any event, I would have to rock the bike a bit in order to get first to engage from neutral. Now from my experience with every bike I've had, that's entirely normal. I was having an issue popping it into neutral while upshifting from first to second, but a relocation of the shift lever cured that issue, not to mention I was riding with a new pair of boots that fit a bit differently than my old ones. I'm hoping to get out on the bike this weeked to see how the new Amsoil makes things mesh, but since I've run it all my bikes previously, I'm expecting it to make things smoother. From what I've learned over the last 26 years riding, shifting issues as described in this thread are often the result of a change in technique rather than an internal mechanical problem. New boots screwed me up, so who know :D ...SC

yeah , when I threw on my astar tech 8s I had to move my lever also, still pondering the full synthetic... :D DC...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.