READY RACING OIL FILTER..and cover...

14 replies to this topic
  • dman450f

Posted September 04, 2005 - 05:32 PM

so I installed my new stainless oil filter today...without the billet cover, per clark4131 instructions...didnt feel like it fit that great. the cover that is, so what i am wondering is, how do you guys think that filter will hold up with no rubber gasket on the back side?metal on metal ...hummmm...vibration...hummmm..I wonder....DC. :D

• Joe Reitman

Posted September 04, 2005 - 06:47 PM

Was your cover also lacking the centering feature?

• dman450f

Posted September 04, 2005 - 06:52 PM

Was your cover also lacking the centering feature?

yep...seems weird....

• clark4131

Posted September 04, 2005 - 07:50 PM

5 oil changes on mine without issue :D ...SC

• Joe Reitman

Posted September 05, 2005 - 10:40 AM

CLark- you are using the RR cover not the stock one?

• clark4131

Posted September 05, 2005 - 11:10 AM

I'm using the stock cover...I like the little centering fin, it makes me feel good to know it's in there. Just did my 6th oil change to today with the ss filter and all is good. I wonder if it will ever prove to be an issue. I'll probably buy a new one every 18 months or so depending on how the thing fairs in the wear and tear department. My oil is looking better and better every time I change it now with less deposits on my magnetic drain plug, so I have no complaints on the filtration ability of the thing either...SC

• GlocksRock

Posted September 05, 2005 - 11:29 AM

Hey how do you guys clean your stainless filters? I have a Scott's, not a Ready Racing, but it is still stainless.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted September 05, 2005 - 12:38 PM

I drop mine in a Mason jar half filled with white gas and shake it around to dissolve all the oil out and loosen the deposits. Then I blow it out from the inside with my compressor and stick in back in the bike. No problema...AC

• Joe Reitman

Posted September 06, 2005 - 12:16 PM

arrived today- install tonight

• Joe Reitman

Posted September 09, 2005 - 01:58 PM

Used the RR cover- the true centering comes from castings on engine side, not the cover. Castings on engine side allow only about a mm of play each direction, whereas stock cap allows more play than that.

Interestingly, there was no visible metal debris or shavings in the stock filter.

• clark4131

Posted September 09, 2005 - 02:26 PM

So what you're saying is that the RR cover does a better job over the stock? Perhaps my paranoia was unfounded, no? :banghead: ...SC

• dman450f

Posted September 09, 2005 - 02:50 PM

So what you're saying is that the RR cover does a better job over the stock? Perhaps my paranoia was unfounded, no? :applause: ...SC

hmmm. I might have to put the rr cover on after all , more bling you know... :banghead:

• dman450f

Posted September 09, 2005 - 02:53 PM

Used the RR cover- the true centering comes from castings on engine side, not the cover. Castings on engine side allow only about a mm of play each direction, whereas stock cap allows more play than that.

Interestingly, there was no visible metal debris or shavings in the stock filter.

hey joe , let us know if you have any problems,I thought the filter was kind of loose behind the bling cover.... :banghead:

• Joe Reitman

Posted September 09, 2005 - 02:58 PM

Just came in from riding- everything was fine. In fact it starts easier now with the synthetic. 1st or second attempt instead of the usual 3rd try with the button- I guess with less friction it rotates more easliy.

Last night I compared the length of stock filter and RR one- same overaLL length despite one less gasket- filter body itself is longer, so more filtration surface.

As I snugged up the "bling" :banghead: cover it offered the expected resistance as the rubber gasket on the end of the filter compressed slightly. I think it is all good. time will tell. :applause:

• dman450f

Posted September 09, 2005 - 03:02 PM

Just came in from riding- everything was fine. In fact it starts easier now with the synthetic. 1st or second attempt instead of the usual 3rd try with the button- I guess with less friction it rotates more easliy.

Last night I compared the length of stock filter and RR one- same overaLL length despite one less gasket- filter body itself is longer, so more filtration surface.

As I snugged up the "bling" :applause: cover it offered the expected resistance as the rubber gasket on the end of the filter compressed slightly. I think it is all good. time will tell. :lol:

ok , now im jealous :banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.