Dip-stick dry after sitting - normal?

8 replies to this topic
  • elton

Posted September 04, 2005 - 11:49 AM

The WR has been sitting for a week on the kickstand.

The oil was changed 150 miles ago, but thought I would check the dip-stick today to see the color of the oil -- the dip-stick was "bone dry".

I don't recall if I ever checked it prior to warming it, I don't ever recall seeing it "bone-dry", but I don't want to warm it unless this is normal.

Please advise.

Elton

• clark4131

Posted September 04, 2005 - 12:45 PM

Normal. It's a dry sump engine, so the frame reservoir drains back into the sump after it sits. Run it for about 15 seconds and then check it. If after that there's no oil, then you've got a problem...SC

• roostmonster

Posted September 04, 2005 - 01:00 PM

There's that old saying, "Been there, done that." It fits here. I about crapped all over my garage when I pulled the dipstick out and saw nothing. So being the smart guy I am, I put oil into the bike until it registered correctly. Then I found out the correct way to check the oil level. I was just a little over, say a quart or 2. I had to drain all that brand new oil out. Felt stupid but learned alot.

• Bamster

Posted September 04, 2005 - 02:11 PM

Another reason why you should read your manual. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • banffboy

Posted September 04, 2005 - 03:33 PM

Another reason why you should read your manual. :D

:D :D

• rushfan

Posted September 04, 2005 - 03:54 PM

All of the above. :D

• Joe Reitman

Posted September 04, 2005 - 06:48 PM

The manual says to run a full 3 minutes...

• elton

Posted September 04, 2005 - 07:21 PM

Yeah, I've read the manual. Also, I've always been confident it had oil; thus would warm it before checking.

However, it freaked me seeing the dip-stick so dry; and since I hadn't checked the oil in (2) months while rehabbing from a tree limb though my leg -- Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks!,

Elton

• farkawi

Posted September 06, 2005 - 07:14 AM

SC is correct. The "sumping" phenomenon has been with dry sump Yamathumpers since the old TT500 days. I once dumped an extra quart of oil in my old SR500 roadracer and promptly experienced the Exxon Valdez oil spill in my pit when I fired it up. Embarrasing!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.