Octane Boosters

8 replies to this topic
  • PBDBLUE

Posted September 04, 2005 - 07:38 AM

I am in the planning stages for a dual sport ride across Death Valley on my WR426. It has come to my attention that the only fuel available in DV is unleaded regular! Has anyone had any experience running any of the octane boosters with regular gas? I'm not really concerned about maximum performance I just want to preserve the motor.

• dman450f

Posted September 04, 2005 - 05:36 PM

I would like to know the answer to that as well....

• rushfan

Posted September 04, 2005 - 06:12 PM

My questions would be:
1) Really?? and,
2) Why?? and,
3) Would it even make any difference?? :D

• Joe Reitman

Posted September 04, 2005 - 06:45 PM

Octane booster makes sense in hot low altitude conditions especially if the motor will be seeing much of a load- such as frequent acceleration, especially hard acceleration. Those are the prime ingredients for detonation.

Learned a bit about that running 21 psi in a DSM turbo. Used a datalogger and found that computer was pulling timing back from 20+ degrees advanced to just 10-12 so the engine would not detonate. Huge power loss.

The solution was to mix in toluene. This is all from 4 years ago so I don't remember all the details, but I think the toluene was 114 octane or so. I ran 33%, which when mixed with 93 octane yields 100.

The computer no longer pulled timing and was able to pull 85 mph trap speeds on street tires in the 1/8th, out of a 2 liter 4 banger. It works, very well. Very very close to race gas.

Gas is already made up of up to 40% toluene so a Little extra is safe. I would not run more than 10% in the bike for starters. You can get toluene at a paint store such as Sherwin WiLLiams. It used to be $30 for 5 gallon can. May have gone up due to gas prices. You could store the toluene in perhaps a metal cantene. I estimate 3 cups per tank would get you 10% toluene and bump up your octane from 87 to a bit over 89.

ps- the "points" octane increase from 104+ are only a decimal point increase. So when the can says 2 points, you are going from 93 to 93.2. Waste of $$$.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dman450f

Posted September 04, 2005 - 06:57 PM

Octane booster makes sense in hot low altitude conditions especially if the motor will be seeing much of a load- such as frequent acceleration, especially hard acceleration. Those are the prime ingredients for detonation.

Learned a bit about that running 21 psi in a DSM turbo. Used a datalogger and found that computer was pulling timing back from 20+ degrees advanced to just 10-12 so the engine would not detonate. Huge power loss.

The solution was to mix in toluene. This is all from 4 years ago so I don't remember all the details, but I think the toluene was 114 octane or so. I ran 33%, which when mixed with 93 octane yields 100.

The computer no longer pulled timing and was able to pull 85 mph trap speeds on street tires in the 1/8th, out of a 2 liter 4 banger. It works, very well. Very very close to race gas.

Gas is already made up of up to 40% toluene so a Little extra is safe. I would not run more than 10% in the bike for starters. You can get toluene at a paint store such as Sherwin WiLLiams. It used to be $30 for 5 gallon can. May have gone up due to gas prices. You could store the toluene in perhaps a metal cantene. I estimate 3 cups per tank would get you 10% toluene and bump up your octane from 87 to a bit over 89.

ps- the "points" octane increase from 104+ are only a decimal point increase. So when the can says 2 points, you are going from 93 to 93.2. Waste of $$$.

great info , thanks joe....more to think about... :D

• dominator426

Posted September 05, 2005 - 12:29 AM

As toluene is already part of regular gas, adding more may have little effect. MMT as found in most effective octane boosters, creates a hard metal compound that erodes engine at concentrations of 0.2g/gal or more. It is also already used in many pump fuels... Check this out; Octane/Lead
By the way, 100LL should be used sparingly as it contains volatile compounds designed to dissolve lubricating oils and flash them during combustion, to prevent oil fouled plugs in forced induction carbureted aviation engines. This single characteristic is why people say 100LL runs “dry”. It's specific gravity is also lower, which may require richer jetting.
I mix 91 pump gas with 30% 100LL, and 2 ml/liter of Lucas Oil Upper Cylinder Lubricant & Fuel Conditioner

• PBDBLUE

Posted September 05, 2005 - 05:19 AM

Good stuff. After reviewing the route for the DV trip I'll only have to go about 50 miles on regular gas before getting to a station that will have premium and most of that will be above 3000' so a little tolulene may be the best bet. Everything I am reading about the shelf octane boosters seems to indicate they don't do much.

• Flaminchiten1967

Posted September 05, 2005 - 08:43 AM

The NOS race formula claims a 60 point increase, I think its the silver bottle one.

• Joe Reitman

Posted September 05, 2005 - 10:34 AM

My brother and also some friends have small airplanes that run 100ll and they are not forced induction. Is forced induction common in small airplanes?

How much of that NOS booster does it take to get that increase?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.