The manual says not to do this but....

18 replies to this topic
  • Jayzonk

Posted September 04, 2005 - 07:23 AM

Can I take a pressure hose to the 650L if I do it gently? Do I just have to stay away from the spark plug port?

• roadcam

Posted September 04, 2005 - 07:35 AM

if youre talking about a high-pressure washer, dont use it ... they force water into the head bearings, wheel bearings, and swingarm bearings, forcing the grease out ... thats in addition to other problems it can cause ... my explanation for my personal half-assed washing technique is: " if a garden hose won't wash it off, it's now part of the bike ! " :D

• don87xr600

Posted September 04, 2005 - 08:09 AM

ever been to a national? every bike is pressure washed by the mechanic.

• Jayzonk

Posted September 04, 2005 - 08:11 AM

Garden hose with a squeeze unit on it is what I used. Started her up afterward, and was okay. But geez, this is going to take forever to clean!!

• don87xr600

Posted September 04, 2005 - 08:17 AM

pressure wash that bad boy, just don't shot directly at the bearings or seals.

• J_Daniels

Posted September 04, 2005 - 10:05 AM

No disrespect Don, but after they pressure wash it, they tear it down for inspection and rebuild. I am replacing EVERY chassis bearing in my CR 125 right now because the previous owner used a pressure washer on it.

• don87xr600

Posted September 04, 2005 - 10:07 AM

between motos? thats fast!

• wr450fyamaha

Posted September 04, 2005 - 07:14 PM

dude, just dont sprat it directly at the bearings or the chain (can mess up the o rings) other than that, go for it....just hold it far away so there isnt toooo much pressure. pretty much stay away from all joints......like i just do wheels, fenders, forks, swing arm, light engine, gentle on sprokets.....it will be ok, just grease her up after ur done.

• J_Daniels

Posted September 04, 2005 - 11:09 PM

between motos? thats fast!

Well, not to belabor the point too much, I see a lot of things done by racers and race mechanics that are not recommended for recreational riders- it's racing; they pound a machine to the limits, then do massive repair work after an event. I'm sure that the bikes get all the bearings inspected and greased between weekend outings.
The main problem I have with pressure washers is that it is so easy to blast water past the seals. A guy can be careful not to hit anything important, but then accidentally get too close to a seal and get water under it, then the bearing under the seal rots out rather quickly. I have to drive a minimum of 1 hour to get to a riding spot, so I never want to have potential problems like this brewing that can ruin my trip.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Supplicate

Posted September 05, 2005 - 05:04 AM

" if a garden hose won't wash it off, it's now part of the bike ! " :eek:

:D :D :D

Thats why mine is slowly turning from red and white to a nice light tan color. The dirt doesn't come out of those scratches without some work.

• BRP27

Posted September 05, 2005 - 05:36 AM

Re: The manual says not to do this but....

Yes but.... They are constantly taking them apart for maint., or trade them off each year for a newer model.

• miguelitro

Posted September 05, 2005 - 06:00 AM

Well, not to belabor the point too much, I see a lot of things done by racers and race mechanics that are not recommended for recreational riders- it's racing; they pound a machine to the limits, then do massive repair work after an event. I'm sure that the bikes get all the bearings inspected and greased between weekend outings.
The main problem I have with pressure washers is that it is so easy to blast water past the seals. A guy can be careful not to hit anything important, but then accidentally get too close to a seal and get water under it, then the bearing under the seal rots out rather quickly. I have to drive a minimum of 1 hour to get to a riding spot, so I never want to have potential problems like this brewing that can ruin my trip.

he's right, dont do it. spray it down have a beer, repeat, then get out the soapy water.
then remove the tank and seat honda polish everything.
if you want a clean DIRT bike its gonna take work.
or you could just pressure wash it, and then go througha nd regrease all the bearings, wheels, headset swing arm if that isnt too much work for ya. :D
actually i bet most of our bikes could use a more regular thorough lubing(not to mention the riders:D
my .02

• Old_Man_Time

Posted September 05, 2005 - 07:34 AM

I pressure wash mine every other week or so. I can't say I have had any unusual problems because of it. I had 5000 miles on my first XR650R when I traded it in on a new one. It had been pressure washed all the time and never had a problem. Oh there was nothing wrong with it when I traded it in, I just wanted a new one with that new bike smell. :D

• Jayzonk

Posted September 05, 2005 - 05:30 PM

I also noticed that I'm wearing a mark into the tranny cover. Must be from the metal toe on my boot. Anyone else get that problem?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted September 05, 2005 - 05:38 PM

I've got so many scratches and gouges from going between rocks that're narrower than the bike, I'd never be able to tell if my boots were doing some of it!

I'm not so sorry to say that I'm not so worried about a few scars on the pig. It was soooo clean and new when I got it, though!

D

• Jayzonk

Posted September 06, 2005 - 06:52 PM

I'm still babying mine. But I'm sure I'll have one hard day of riding that will blast that notion right out of my head.

• Jayzonk

Posted September 06, 2005 - 07:35 PM

That Dave,
Your private message box is full, so I had to post this:
Just wondering if you are planning on going to watch/participate in Baja. I was thinking about going as part of a pit crew, but it's a long journey from our end of the world. If I'm going to go, I'd better be prepared, so any advice you have, I'll take! I'm a little worried about travelling through Mexico.
Also, have you taken in any moto racing this year? I understand they have dirt tracking at the Syracuse Mile again. It's a good 6 hours from here, but if the racing is good, I'm game to go!
jason

• XR650L_Dave

Posted September 07, 2005 - 05:45 AM

Jason, I don't end up doing much spectating. Any time I have for that gets used for riding!

Dave

• Jayzonk

Posted September 07, 2005 - 09:04 PM

Cool. Hardcore!! I don't get out much, so I figure it's time I took in a race, since I'm not equipped to race, myself. But I agree riding should outrank watching any day!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.