valve springs

8 replies to this topic
  • Brettv

Posted September 04, 2005 - 04:55 AM

G'day everyone, how hard is it to replace your valve springs? ive got a kibblewhite spring kit and want to put it in myself, do i 'really' need a spring compressor?
also if my stock valves are ok, is there any reason to put kibblewhite ones in? or just keep the stockers?
cheers - Brett

• Indy_WR450

Posted September 04, 2005 - 05:51 AM

As old as your bike is you might as well replace the guides, valves and have new valve seats cut. You cant see the fatigue or stretching on a ti valve but when it breaks the damage is going to be costly. :D

• kirkw

Posted September 07, 2005 - 08:42 AM

Indy, bowing to your imminent knowledge, isn't the 99 Wr Stainless and not titanium? I have heard the steel has much more longevity to it than the titanium nd does not require a complete redo as quickly. Am I off base?

• Cedric

Posted September 07, 2005 - 10:23 AM

I managed to get mine out by rigging up a sort of compressor with a large C-clamp and a piece of carefully cut out pipe - so that I could grab the keepers. It worked, but it was a major pain in the @ss for me. I would look into buying one for cheap at an auto parts store - I think the clamp cost me almost as much.

and yes, the valves are steel, so I would buy new OEM valves instead of the KW valves - seems like some people are having lots of trouble with them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brettv

Posted September 07, 2005 - 03:59 PM

hmm, thanks for the input guys, the kibblewhite valves are SS, they offer white diamond for my bike, and i asked them how much for custom black diamond for my bike and they wanted about $50 a piece!, ill pull it all off, do a leak test, and if they look ok and dont leak or seem to seal ok, i may leave it, i guess its better to do it all at once though.
-Brett

• 99wr400

Posted September 07, 2005 - 08:07 PM

The stock springs work fine for me.

• Brettv

Posted September 07, 2005 - 08:59 PM

yeah, but i got a set of kibblewhite racing springs (kit) real cheap off ebay $75 US
so whether to go kibblewhite black or white diamond would be the next question is what i ment

• Hamish

Posted September 09, 2005 - 02:19 AM

When I changed the valves in my 426 (stock yammy) I also replaced the valve springs (with stock units) for no other reason that they were so cheap!
Some genuine parts are actually good value for money :banghead:

• Brettv

Posted September 09, 2005 - 03:19 AM

hey Hamish, hows it goin? hows ur bike? goin again? is it back to stock?
when you changed your valves, how did you know they needed to be changed? did u measure them for tolerances? or could u somehow just tell?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.