scotts- vs- gpr stabilizer

13 replies to this topic
  • robman

Posted March 19, 2001 - 06:24 PM

anyone compared the scotts stabilizer to the gpr stabilizer? what's the difference besides the price?

------------------
00 wr400f pro circuit pipe ,uni-flow filter,no lid on breather,factory R&D accelerator pump cover.

[This message has been edited by robman (edited 03-19-2001).]

• Harold_in_So_Cal

Posted March 20, 2001 - 07:38 AM

I don't know about the GPR but I can't say enough good things about my Scott's set up. I have the stabilizer, bars, and tripleclamps and I consider it a must have.

Harold

• Team_Towrope

Posted March 20, 2001 - 03:19 PM

I just bought the GPR and rode for the first time with it this last weekend. I was amazed at the difference it made. I did some research but I'll have to post it later because I've got to run. Simply stated, I loved it.

• robman

Posted March 20, 2001 - 03:38 PM

Towrope,

does the GPR have the same adjustments as the scotts? and what kind of bars are you running? and if you don't mind me asking how much did you give for it and where did you get it from?

------------------
00 wr400f pro circuit pipe ,uni-flow filter,no lid on breather,factory R&D accelerator pump cover.

• Team_Towrope

Posted March 21, 2001 - 08:16 AM

OK...here's the scoop. I called both Scotts [ http://www.scottsonline.com ] and GPR (GPR is built by R.S. Norman Mfg out of Chula Vista, CA [ http://www.gpr-products.com ]) and talked to there sales people. I told them both that I couldn't decided between Scotts or GPR and ask what are the differences and what's better. Of course, they both said that theres was way better. What made the difference for me was that I was really impressed with the simple features of the GPR. I actually talked to Randy of R.S. Norman Mfg and he gave me, I feel, a real honest comparison -- not Scotts bashing. I asked about the high and low speed adjustments that Scotts claimed to be the main difference and Randy said that it's true when they said that you have several high and low speed settings but this is what he said. He said that he rode with a Scotts stabilizer for years and got tired of the several internal parts wearing out or just coming out of adjustment. He said that once he set his high speed adjustment he never change it and actually sent it out once to get it serviced and found that the high speed adjustment wasn't even working properly. He also stated that the service was another thing that bothered him. His Scotts needed to be service regularly at ~$50+ bucks a pop. Furthermore, he said that Scotts is 7 year old technology that has been virtually unchanged since its intro. And then this is what he said about his GPR stabilizer. He said that the GPR has both the high and low speed dampening features too, it's just that the GPR high speed setting is built into the unit at a setting that people usually prefered; therefore, it will never come out of adjustment. He also said that the adjusting knob is bigger and it turns freely in both directions -- so if you're at #1, you can go to #6 with one click. Also the GPR is hard-anodized; therefore, limiting the wear and tear on the parts. He said he's taken apart GPR's off of PRO riders with 1000's of miles on them and there was zero wear. He also stated that his servicing price is $20 for anything -- even if something is broken, it's still only $20. He also said that if you see him at the races (mainly western desert races) just take it off your bike and he'll service it for free. Well, that's about it. I hope this helps.

I bought my GPR stabilizer as a package deal from DH1 Racing [ http://www.dh1racing.com ] -- out the door at $525.00. It came with their triple clamp, pro taper bars, and the GPR stabilizer. Their triple clamp has 4 settings but I think only two work when used with the stabilizer. In any case, I really liked the added room that the new triple clamp with the CR High Bend bars gave me.

Like I said before, I rode with it for the first time this last weekend and I was so pleased. Driving out to the desert, I was talking with my father-in-law about my low expectations with the stabilizer. I've had several people tell me that they won't ride desert without one; but, I've been riding desert for 25 years without one and I've been doing just fine. That's all changed now. It was amazing. I was able to relax my grip more because the bars were so steady. The bike tracked straighter through woops, sand and cross-cut drainage patterns. The change was noticed instantly. I easily adjusted the settings while riding as the conditions changed. I had my father-in-law ride my bike -- he was so impressed with it, he bought one when he got home.

As far as the difference in feel from the Scotts to the GPR, I can't tell you that. I can only state what I know. The GPR is cheaper then the Scotts and it worked great for me. I think everyone just buys the Scotts because that's what everyone is using but things may change. Call both Randy and Scotts and ask your own questions. I think you may come to the same conclusion as I did. If you call Scotts and if they talk about the GP stabilizer, that's not the same one. Randy bought the rights to GP, redesigned some aspects of it, and then renamed it GPR. I know this because my dad has the GP and Randy said he would upgrade him for $100.

Well, good luck and if you have any more questions for me just let me know.

Dax

[This message has been edited by Team Towrope (edited 03-21-2001).]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 21, 2001 - 09:25 AM

Towrope,
This may be a crazy question but here I go. I think I would be willing to purchase a stabalizer but $500 is a large price for something that I've never tried. Where do you normally ride? I would love to get the opportunity to ride a bike with a stabalizer and see first hand how it really affects the bike. I ride 75% desert (Ocotillo Wells) and 25% tracks (Elsinore, Comp) How do you think it would handle on the track? Would it have an advantage? I currently live in San Diego but will be moving to Orange county with in a couple of months because I start a new job up there this monday.
Thanks
Khris

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

• Team_Towrope

Posted March 21, 2001 - 03:13 PM

Khris,
You're more than welcome to meet me somewhere to test a bike with a stabilizer. I ride mostly high desert -- Johnson Valley OHV, Stoddard Valley OHV, Spangler Hills OHV, and various places near Jawbone Canyon OHV. Just to clarify the price, the stabilizer package with a triple clamp, pro taper bars, and stabilizer was $500. The stabilizer alone is $350. As far as track performance, I wouldn't be the best to ask -- I ride 99% desert.
My family and I are planning a trip to Spangler Hills in April. If you're in OC then, you can come out and test my bike. Where in OC are you planning on moving? Also, let me know when you're going to Ocotillo Wells next because maybe I'll meet you out there. I would love to see more of that part of the desert.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Unkle_Moose

Posted March 21, 2001 - 03:22 PM

Hello Khris I hope this helps. I have a WR426 no stabalizer, my brother inlaw Mike (Mr Hebo Clutch) has a WR426 with Scotts stabalizer. A weeks ago we went riding together. I rode my bike through a whooped out rocky river bed and up a long whooped out hill. Then rode his bike, what a difference! It will be my next mod to bike (if I can talk my wife into working overtime to pay for it, then the divorce lawyer) :) I can't say which is better,but you can't loose on either one. Good Luck

• robman

Posted March 21, 2001 - 05:30 PM

Great post Towrope,
thank's for the info.
think I'll order one tomorrow!

------------------

• GRC

Posted March 21, 2001 - 10:02 PM

A couple of other things to consider before buying the GPR. One is the sweep controls on the GPR it works from center to bar stops in both directions, away from center and back to center. With the Scotts you can set sweep angles either 34,44,54 or 78 degrees. Also it only works away from center back to center is free. I don't wont to fight the thing both directions when riding tight rocks you know slow first gear stuff. As far as the regular servicing of the unit can be done on your work bench for the cost of the bottle of fluid, now that is turn around time.

I was really lucky and got to try out both systems before I bought one. Both are quality products but I felt that the Scotts was just better. If you do end up getting a GPR buy it from DH1 racing, like Team Towrope said. Dave Hamel, the owner, is a top notch guy who stands behind his products. I race the same series as him and know alot of the guys he sponsors. He is a racer and promotes the sport not just some guy there to make a buck.

George

• AZJeff_99WR400

Posted March 23, 2001 - 12:09 PM

Scotts Dampner Information:

I just put a Scotts steering dampner on my '99 WR400, and I'm using the stock triple clamps with FMF 909 CR-Hi bend bars. My dampner is mounted using the "bolt-on" kit, which clamps around the oil filler bung in the top center of the frame.

A word of advice for those who buy a Scotts and want to use the bolt-on kit: Yamaha did NOT consider the oil filler bung to be a high-tolerance part during assembly! The result? During welding, the oil filler bung gets attached in a less-than-perfectly centered position on most bikes.

Nine times out of ten this will cause you a slight problem when mounting the Scotts, but there are two remedies:

1.) Buy the "specially offset" mounting clamp they sell and use that.

2.) Use those mechanic skills of yours and get creative.

In my case (remedy #2), the stabilizer bottomed out against the mounting clamp before the left-side steering stop was contacted, a big NO-NO according to Scotts. If you ride the bike like this, it will ruin the dampner in short order and void your warranty.

Since the mounting clamp was only off by a 1/4", I decided to carefully "coax" it over just enough with a length of close-fitting pipe. I was freaking out when doing this. What if the mounting clamp bends, breaks or worse yet, what if the oil filler bung snaps off the frame? Luckily, nothing cracked or broke, the bung simply agreed to move over a little. After all, these bikes have mild steel frames on them.

Also, on the stock upper triple clamp you must grind off some of the extra aluminum the factory left on during the casting process. The area to modify is near the steering stem mounting hole and ensures the clamp doesn't contact the mounting clamp. This modification will in no way weaken the stock triple clamp.

Another very interesting note: With my FMF 909 CR-Hi bend bars, I did NOT have to bend the removeable bar center brace to clear the dampner! I did however, notch the foam inside my bar pad to clear the dampner, then put it right back on. I can now easily adjust the low speed knob while riding.

The only time I do find myself wanting to adjust the Scotts though is when I transition from a tight, hardpacked rocky trail into a wider, sandy wash.

So, other than the aforementioned issue with the bolt-on mounting kit, everything else about the Scotts dampner is a dream.

Now I can ride those sandy washes one-handed while eating a tuna salad sandwich or squeezing a lime into my next Tecate brew (just kidding!).

Hope this post helps someone contemplating a Scotts dampner.

• Itsamre

Posted March 23, 2001 - 08:02 PM

I have the GPR on a '00 yz426 w/plates and love it. Never tried the other one! I ride on setting 4 most of the time for fast work. On SLOW and TIGHT stuff down to 2 or 1 and all is good! 8 months and no problems!

------------------
Mark

• robman

Posted March 26, 2001 - 09:15 AM

Thank's guys,
Got a gpr on the way with triple clamp and pro taper bars.
ordered it from www.dh1racing.com

------------------

• PMAUST

Posted March 27, 2001 - 09:09 PM

My 2 cents..I recently installed the Scotts stabilizer. 00WR400. The mounting bracket for mine mounted on the steering post instead of the oil intake post. Works Great! This was the first time I had ever used a stabilizer and will never go back. The instructions for the Scotts clearly show how to maintain it. Scotts claims that the high speed setting is set at the factory and really doesn't need to be changed. I have had a chance to open it up now in a variety of situations and feel that the high speed setting is as advertised fine. It would be nice if folks could try before buying. I don't regret the Scotts purchase one bit though. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.