XR650R - Too Much for a Novice?

• Please sign in to reply

43 replies to this topic
  • Texas Andre

TT Newbie

9 posts

Posted September 06, 2005 - 06:14 AM

go with the L model

if i remember right it 1 lead of 100 watts.. that can eaisly be upgraded to like 2 leads of 120 watts each.

Thanks for your thoughts. But...

- Why "go with the L?"

- Can you help me a little with the "leads?" What does that mean? I think that the Baja kit comes with an alternator. What are leads?

- You're saying 240 watts total? That should power loads of stuff, right? The headlight would be 55ish watts, signals 12 watts each. What else is there?

Thanks again.

• Texas Andre

TT Newbie

9 posts

Posted September 06, 2005 - 06:15 AM

if u want cheep and street legal, get an l.....dirt...get an r. simple as that.....l's get like 55 mpg highway and close to the same for city.

What's the R get in terms of mileage?

• Texas Andre

TT Newbie

9 posts

Posted September 06, 2005 - 06:18 AM

if youre looking for a dual sport 'adventure' bike, you dont want the Honda ... they suck on the highway ... go with the Kawasaki KLR650 ... thats not easy for me to say, Im a Honda man

Strong feelings - what's wrong with it on the highway - vibrations?

• Texas Andre

TT Newbie

9 posts

Posted September 06, 2005 - 06:19 AM

Thanks for all of the good info, everybody!

• my98mugen

TT Bronze Member

121 posts

Posted September 06, 2005 - 07:07 AM

Thanks for your thoughts. But...

- Can you help me a little with the "leads?" What does that mean? I think that the Baja kit comes with an alternator. What are leads?

- You're saying 240 watts total? That should power loads of stuff, right? The headlight would be 55ish watts, signals 12 watts each. What else is there?

Thanks again.

i just looked in my baja designs book, the stock stator is 80 watts. their upgraded stator is 2 leads of 125 watts. 250 watts total ($120). when i say lead i mean, its like having 2 seperate power wires. so then your not pulling 200watts off of one wire. also good if you have dual off-road head lights and one lead burns out one head light will still work, that is if you wired it right. its not a alternator, its a stator. take a look here. or you could look here to learn more but i wouldnt trust this rewind procedure.

• Old_Man_Time

TT Addict

3,750 posts

Posted September 06, 2005 - 04:00 PM

i just looked in my baja designs book, the stock stator is 80 watts. their upgraded stator is 2 leads of 125 watts. 250 watts total ($120). when i say lead i mean, its like having 2 seperate power wires. so then your not pulling 200watts off of one wire. also good if you have dual off-road head lights and one lead burns out one head light will still work, that is if you wired it right. its not a alternator, its a stator. take a look here. or you could look here to learn more but i wouldnt trust this rewind procedure.

Another plus for the Baja Designs stator rewind is they guarrantee it for as long as you own the bike. You can't beat that.

• flynn_

TT Bronze Member

178 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 15, 2016 - 11:50 AM

If you have had powerful street bikes...even the most powerful single cylinder won't hold a candle to say a 600 naked.

• JoeRC51
1,557 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 02:02 PM

If you have had powerful street bikes...even the most powerful single cylinder won't hold a candle to say a 600 naked.

Did you happen to notice that this is an eleven year old thread ? lol The OP also hasn't owned anything that could power wheelie in every gear. Since he hasn't been here for eleven years , I'd say he got the 650R and killed himself with all of his ''experience''. 

• Brent_D

TT Newbie

5 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 03:37 PM

As long as you are at least 6'4" and 250 lbs you will be OK!
You are... right? ;)

Haha. I AM 6'4", 254 and I absolutely love my BRP.  Buy it.  You won't regret it.

• ejam

TT Member

48 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 01:36 PM

What's the R get in terms of mileage?

Hi, I have a near new 2002 xr650r and it is stock, just uncorked and she is getting 44mpg on road. That is with dirt tires.

• hodakaharold

TT Bronze Member

196 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 07:21 PM

I get around 45 mpg riding my R as a dual sport. It has never gotten the mileage that an L gets. Mine is also uncorked.

Edited by hodakaharold, September 21, 2016 - 07:22 PM.

• ejam

TT Member

48 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 09:22 PM

I have not checked the mpg off road yet, but I'm sure it's probably in the high 20s to low 30s. My xr400r seemed to get close to the same, 49 off road and 52 on road. Probably due to gearing. BRP has stock gearing, 14/48. I have a new 15 sprocket on its way.

• hodakaharold

TT Bronze Member

196 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 06:36 PM

I get around 45 mpg with 15/48 gearing, the R brings a big grin to me every time I ride it, the past year, I have been riding mine as a dual sport with 80% street and 20% gravel, been using Shinko 705 tires and they are a lot of fun on the twisties. I sold my Buell 4 years ago and the R scratches that itch I still have sometimes.

• HeavyRotation

TT Silver Member

748 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 10, 2016 - 07:47 PM

Wow this thread is freaking dusty.

• hodakaharold

TT Bronze Member

196 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 04:12 AM

Not really, this bike is timeless, awesome bike in 2005, still the same if you keep freshening up the bike, keeping it sharp, I still love my BRP even more now than ever!

• Honda addict

TT Member

68 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 09:24 AM

Xr650l is a great bike I've owned 2 my first was a 2001 I bought used that was my first brp love it take it easy till u get use to it.very good beginner bike.last Nov I bought a brand new 2015 xr650l couldn't bring my self to sell old pig 33,000 miles on the old one 3,300 on new one. Can't go wrong with brp

• HeavyRotation

TT Silver Member

748 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 12, 2016 - 11:03 AM

Xr650l is a great bike I've owned 2 my first was a 2001 I bought used that was my first brp love it take it easy till u get use to it.very good beginner bike.last Nov I bought a brand new 2015 xr650l couldn't bring my self to sell old pig 33,000 miles on the old one 3,300 on new one. Can't go wrong with brp

The OP was asking about an R, not an L. One is an OK beginner bike, the other is certainly not.

• flynn_

TT Bronze Member

178 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 13, 2016 - 08:18 AM

Have 

I don't understand the logic and lack of imagination of people that do this. At least get something different!  

If the old one is still working why buy a new one of exactly the same? They haven't improved it in all these years.

• Honda addict

TT Member

68 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 10:26 AM

U don't have to understand. and don't need a imagination. I like hondas as my name implies I wanted a new machine and have the ability to do so.wouldnt buy any thing else .maybe I might go get a Africa twin just so I have one:)

Sent from my SM-S902L using ThumperTalk mobile app

• HeavyRotation

TT Silver Member

748 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 13, 2016 - 02:48 PM

Have

I don't understand the logic and lack of imagination of people that do this. At least get something different!

If the old one is still working why buy a new one of exactly the same? They haven't improved it in all these years.

Some people tune their radio to the classic rock station and rip off the knob, buy 25 of the same shirt and eat the same sandwich at lunch for 35 years. They know what they like and they like what they know. Most of them ride an XR650L.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.