XR650R - Too Much for a Novice?

• Please sign in to reply

43 replies to this topic
  • Texas Andre

TT Newbie

9 posts

Posted September 03, 2005 - 10:55 AM

Howdy all,

I'm an experienced street rider - ACE750 with 45,000 miles, ST1300 with 30,000 miles, SV650 street track bike with many, many trackdays.

Only dirt experience, however, is the Top of the World from Tok to Chicken on the ACE750 - 100 mile gravel road.

I want a good dual sport/adventure touring bike:

- Is the XR650R too much for a novice adventure tourer? Is this like buying a porsche as your first car?

- Alternately, if you aren't experienced, isn't a lighter bike like the XR650R better than a heavier DS like a XR650L or a KLR?

- Is the Acerbis 6 gallon tank available for the XR650L? I think it's available for the R, but the L also?

- What is the alternator capacity for both of these bikes? Can they power an electric vest and gloves while maintaining the static loads of likes, signals, etc.?

- Is there a hard luggage/rack system available to purchase? I see a lot of talk of people fabricating luggage, but I'm lazy and inept and just want to buy.

Thanks.

• my98mugen

TT Bronze Member

121 posts

Posted September 03, 2005 - 11:35 AM

- Is the XR650R too much for a novice adventure tourer? Is this like buying a porsche as your first car?

The Xr650R is very forgiving. With Cadillac suspention and a awesome bottom end torque you cant go wrong. Its only a advanced bike after all those "race mods" we do.

I want a good dual sport/adventure touring bike:

- Alternately, if you aren't experienced, isn't a lighter bike like the XR650R better than a heavier DS like a XR650L or a KLR?

go with the L model

- Is the Acerbis 6 gallon tank available for the XR650L? I think it's available for the R, but the L also?

i dont know im a R guy

- What is the alternator capacity for both of these bikes? Can they power an electric vest and gloves while maintaining the static loads of likes, signals, etc.?

if i remember right it 1 lead of 100 watts.. that can eaisly be upgraded to like 2 leads of 120 watts each.

Is there a hard luggage/rack system available to purchase? I see a lot of talk of people fabricating luggage, but I'm lazy and inept and just want to buy.

check this out for racks

• ImpalaR1

TT Bronze Member

155 posts

Posted September 03, 2005 - 01:00 PM

a 650r uncorked will be alittle jerky for a novice. The bike has an agressive power band, but u can use it however u need to, so a begginner could very easily take it slow and grow into the bike.

• my98mugen

TT Bronze Member

121 posts

Posted September 03, 2005 - 01:06 PM

a 650r uncorked will be alittle jerky for a novice. The bike has an agressive power band, but u can use it however u need to, so a begginner could very easily take it slow and grow into the bike.

Dont uncork it

• frankstr

TT Titanium Member

2,125 posts

Posted September 04, 2005 - 06:52 AM

Throttle Control......... :D :D

• oldturtle

TT Silver Member

630 posts

Posted September 04, 2005 - 07:41 AM

There are all types of excellent dual sport/ adventure touring bikes. The best choice for you should be based on the type of terrain that you wish to address. If you want to extend your riding from just dirt roads to include some rougher trails, sand, rocks, and hills then a better choice for you would be a Baja Designs equipped XR400. The XR650R has such a mellow and easy to control power band that it should not be any problem on easier terrain and certainly no problem for a novice on dirt roads. The 650R would be a handfull in very rough conditions for a novice. If more of your riding is going to be on paved roads getting to the dirt roads with limited off road excursions then you could look at XR650L. An even better choice for many riders who are inclined toward the adventure touring side of equation would be the Kawi KLR650.
So look at terrain and type of riding as first criteria in choice of bikes. I did Tok to Chicken and also Dawson City to Inuvik on 7.0 gal XR650R but for that ride the KLR650 would have been a little more appropriate. But I did tow one KLR650 in our group to get started because they have no kick starter and he left lights on overnight. In fact my 650R was the only bike in our group that did the whole trip from Watson Lake north with no problems.

• BrettJ

TT Bronze Member

402 posts

Posted September 04, 2005 - 02:58 PM

"go with the L model"
NO NO NO don't go with the L model

• Blue Man

TT Member

41 posts

Posted September 04, 2005 - 03:02 PM

Get the R and uncork it, you will fall asleep if you dont. It is all it the twist of the wrist.

• HC

TT Bronze Member

148 posts

Posted September 04, 2005 - 07:42 PM

old turtle what kind of mileage were/are you getting on the highway?

• wr450fyamaha

TT Gold Member

1,487 posts

Posted September 05, 2005 - 11:24 AM

if u want cheep and street legal, get an l.....dirt...get an r. simple as that.....l's get like 55 mpg highway and close to the same for city.

• Ramcc4x4

TT Bronze Member

233 posts

Posted September 05, 2005 - 03:48 PM

My first bike was a YZ490. Three months later I bought an XR650R. I have absolutely no regrets. It is an easy bike to ride, especially if you are in the 6' height range.

• oldturtle

TT Silver Member

630 posts

Posted September 05, 2005 - 04:51 PM

old turtle what kind of mileage were/are you getting on the highway?

I ran 16/48 gearing and got from 35 to 40 mpg. You could go smaller in rear but no larger up front.You need to file the stock case guard down slightly to get the 16 CS to fit. We hauled our bikes all the way to Watson Lake, Yukon Terr, and took mainly dirt roads from there north. The jetting and de-corking were just exactly per Honda power up rec'm, with no other mod's. The maximum distance between gas stops was about 240 miles. Gearing was very good for relaxed all day at 65 mph and still be able to hit 90 plus if needed. I was also carrying heavy fuel load plus about 350 lbs for rider and gear.

• Triumphs

TT Bronze Member

454 posts

Posted September 05, 2005 - 05:33 PM

Is the XR650R too much for a novice adventure tourer? Is this like buying a porsche as your first car?

As long as you are at least 6'4" and 250 lbs you will be OK!
You are... right? :D

• BrettJ

TT Bronze Member

402 posts

Posted September 05, 2005 - 05:58 PM

lol I wouldn't got that far 5'9" at least

• Old_Man_Time

TT Addict

3,750 posts

Posted September 05, 2005 - 08:28 PM

I envy all you guys who's states allow dual sporting the XR650R. If we could do that here in Washington this thread has only one answer. The XR650R is a great bike for anyone. If your a beginner it will behave like a kitten and when you need it there is a lion lurking in there.

Same argument we used when I was a kid for our big V-8's over a 6 banger. When you need it it's there. :D

• roadcam

TT Gold Member

1,073 posts

Posted September 06, 2005 - 02:07 AM

if youre looking for a dual sport 'adventure' bike, you dont want the Honda ... they suck on the highway ... go with the Kawasaki KLR650 ... thats not easy for me to say, Im a Honda man

• raven-9

TT Platinum Member

1,534 posts

Posted September 06, 2005 - 02:41 AM

THE 650R is a good bike and it woudln't be to much for you if your used to road rideing
you would be used to power, it's more of a weight issue, but sounds like you havn't been on to much else in the dirt so you probebly won't notice the weight to much, compared to someone comeing off a 2 stroke 250 or something.

id go for it, just grow into the power, youl love it.
i just got off an older xr 600 for my new bike, i do miss her in some ways but my KTM is a real weapon.

here's a piccy of my old XR for old times sake...good luck
http://i14.photobuck...myxr600_002.jpg

• Texas Andre

TT Newbie

9 posts

Posted September 06, 2005 - 05:48 AM

Dont uncork it

What's "uncorking?"

• Texas Andre

TT Newbie

9 posts

Posted September 06, 2005 - 05:59 AM

There are all types of excellent dual sport/ adventure touring bikes. The best choice for you should be based on the type of terrain that you wish to address.

I guess that I should clarify.

My riding would be a lot of road miles getting to dirt - Texas to Colorado, plan on South America at some point, dirt roads around north Texas.

The plan is mostly gravel/dirt/fire roads and stuff like the Alpine Loop in Lake City (which to me looked pretty techical with large rock beds, boulders at the switchbacks, etc.

I just always pass these great gravel roads heading off into nowhere that I would never take my 750 pound ST1300 onto.

I don't know what I'll find once I head off road, though. And knowing myself, I'll climb deeper into the outback once I start doing this.

I do, however, need a good bike for getting TO these places. I don't live near dirt roads; I'm in Dallas and will need to spend signficant time getting to the off road areas. I'm not really a trailering guy, although I've got one for the race bike...

• Texas Andre

TT Newbie

9 posts

Posted September 06, 2005 - 06:01 AM

Why don't go with the "L" model?

I'm still trying to decide if more power and less weight is better than less power and heavier?

I guess as some say, you can control the power but you can't lighten the bike...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.