is the xr650r comfortable?

18 replies to this topic
  • billg

Posted September 03, 2005 - 06:13 AM

Does anyone know the difference in seats between the xr600 and 650r? The old 600 had great seats, very comfortable. Does the 650r feel the same. I am an older rider now. I don't want something that feels like a motocross bike. I want something that feels comfortable. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I know that the new 650r is better at most things and both bikes have plenty of power. I want comfort. Please advise

• frankstr

Posted September 03, 2005 - 06:22 AM

Adjust a few things like, bars,clamps maybe seat,seat height and they are comfortable, I enjoy riding mine and I'm 46 y/o......... :D

• Supplicate

Posted September 03, 2005 - 06:27 AM

The last ride I took was just over 4 hours long, and no signs of monkeybutt by the time it finished :D

and IMO its too... bloated... to feel like a motocross bike.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted September 03, 2005 - 07:39 AM

I enjoy riding mine too and I'm 55.

• captb

Posted September 03, 2005 - 09:35 AM

Fine off road but on long road trips the seat is the only complaint I have, I don't think it's worse than my XR600R was , I am going to do a gel mod.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted September 03, 2005 - 10:43 AM

i love my 650 l seat.....nice and bing and squishey

• huntmaster

Posted September 03, 2005 - 04:42 PM

Same with my GoldWing's seat! How relevent that is to the poster's question is either I'm not sure! :D

i love my 650 l seat.....nice and bing and squishey

• captb

Posted September 03, 2005 - 08:56 PM

My Blackbird seat is nice too, not as comfy as the Goldwing thou.

• smashinz2002

Posted September 03, 2005 - 09:16 PM

The 650R stock seat is not as wide nor as soft as the old 600R. In my opinion it's too hard and uncomfortable for long rides, but it's great for rider movement and probably won't be noticed for off-roading, you'll be so busy twisting the throttle and enjoying the enormous amount of power and how stable the bike is at speed. In my opinion it's the ultimate dirt bike with huge power and torque, you'll love it! Pulls like a rocket ship up to a hundred mph. Work the midrange, that's where the most boost is.

L.L.

'00 XR650R (uncorked/jetted)
'04 KX500
'05 GSF1200S Bandit

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mark_Bear

Posted September 04, 2005 - 12:39 AM

I like my BRP seat, I get a bit sore after an hour in the rough but i'm usually buggered by then anyway.

• BWB63

Posted September 04, 2005 - 04:05 AM

You guys sit on the seet? Wow, what a concept. I need to learn how to do that :D . I don't get to sit on the seet long enough to notice if it is confy or not.

• huntmaster

Posted September 04, 2005 - 06:28 AM

You may be a good candidate for a KTM if you have no requirement for an effective seat! :D

You guys sit on the seet? Wow, what a concept. I need to learn how to do that I don't get to sit on the seet long enough to notice if it is confy or not.

• oldturtle

Posted September 04, 2005 - 06:58 AM

I am 65 years young with lots of years on both XR600 and XR650R. The 650R is so much better in every respect that I never noticed any decrease in comfort. I have experimented with tall Guts Racing seat foam on my 650R for very long trips when using 7.0 gal IMS tank. I have since switched back to stock seat. You can make the 650R into whatever you want it to be. Just don't miss out on the thrill of a fantistic motorcycle because of unfounded concern about comfort.

• HC

Posted September 04, 2005 - 07:40 PM

65 on a 650R, you are the man!

I am 65 years young with lots of years on both XR600 and XR650R. The 650R is so much better in every respect that I never noticed any decrease in comfort. I have experimented with tall Guts Racing seat foam on my 650R for very long trips when using 7.0 gal IMS tank. I have since switched back to stock seat. You can make the 650R into whatever you want it to be. Just don't miss out on the thrill of a fantistic motorcycle because of unfounded concern about comfort.

• miguelitro

Posted September 05, 2005 - 06:26 AM

I dont sit much either but...my old 91 xr600r had a more supple seat than my 650r. I still look back fondly at the way it carressed my buttocks...:D

Aftermarket foam and a gripper seat cover will solve this.
My old yz490 now there was a comfortable seat but your arse could only touch it while the bike wasnt moving, anything over 0 miles an hour and the suspension wasnt the greatest, oh and it vibrated alot too...

The best fix for an uncomfortable seat is to ride a KTM and anything else will feel great.

• Ramcc4x4

Posted September 05, 2005 - 03:51 PM

My stock 650R seat was one of the few complaints I had about the bike. I got a good deal on a Moose tall seat and I find it MUCH more comfortable. Between the tall seat and padded riding shorts I can ride all day in comfort.

• cdeseru

Posted September 05, 2005 - 05:52 PM

If Your Pig is uncorked You won't be on the seat

• huntmaster

Posted September 05, 2005 - 05:53 PM

Everything is relative I guess. Compared to just about any other stock seat on a pure off-road machine the thing is a couch!

My stock 650R seat was one of the few complaints I had about the bike.

• BrettJ

Posted September 05, 2005 - 06:02 PM

"Everything is relative I guess. Compared to just about any other stock seat on a pure off-road machine the thing is a couch!"-- Ture true try riding any motocross bike they mays well just have a metal bar to sit on

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.