Just bought my Xr650r, but got shut down trying to plate it...now what?

53 replies to this topic
  • HC

Posted September 04, 2005 - 07:20 PM

its kind of a chicken & egg thing, your right even if you made so friggin legal john ashcroft would ride it to church, if it has an ORV label and the guy didnt get laid that day, your out. game over, this is THE likely result.

go the colorado route, hey lifes an adventure. if you do plate it, its freakin' gold in washington state :D

Well i just haven't even wasted any money on DOT stuff because when i took it first to get inspected, the guy said since it didn't have the factory sticker on it saying it meets road requierments he wouldn't inspect it at all....So it's not worth spending any money on DOT stuff right now.

• HC

Posted September 04, 2005 - 07:23 PM

here is the link to the NMA, re licensing, it says it all. odd thing is you can license a pimp chopper thats safe as nitro in a fun house, but not a properly converted bike. this has nothing to do with safety, power play, to lock up lands.

http://www.nmaoffroa...g/licensing.htm

• Lake Cle Elum

Posted September 06, 2005 - 08:28 PM

I'm in WA state and been down this road. I don't think they'll even let you transfer an out of state plated bike. The VIN is in the DOL computers as an "ORV" only bike.

If you sell it, how much you want? Does the "R" have Elect Start?

• ImpalaR1

Posted September 07, 2005 - 12:58 PM

i'd want the same i paid for it, because i really haven't riddin it at all. I'm still trying to get it plated, but i'll sell it if someone wants it.

• HondaRules

Posted September 07, 2005 - 02:13 PM

I went to the State patrol yesterday, and they won't even inspect it with or w/o a dual sport kit because the bike doesn't have a Factory sticker on it saying it meets the federal requirments for road use. So that leave's me with selling the bike. :lol: :banghead:

Dude, "sell" it to your Uncle in CO and have him get it plated...then once it's plated he "sells" it back to you :applause: Maybe wait almost a year before you "buy" it back so that you don't have to worry about being charged double for licensing that year....play the game man :lol:

• ImpalaR1

Posted September 07, 2005 - 08:58 PM

I would man, but everyone's said that the bike has to be there to get a VIN inspection. Otherwise i'd just send the title in the mail to him, and have him tranfer it and get a plate that way. But i can't get the bike to Denver.

• Sierra Smokey

Posted September 08, 2005 - 11:54 AM

here in CA, I have heard several stories about the plastic gas tanks being illegal for road use, but I have had CHP tell me that is a fallacy, that it was never a law ... I am curious who's right :banghead:

They're right. CHP's BMW R1150RT-P motorcycles all have plastic fuel tanks. In fact, so do a lot of the newer BMW motorcycles. So the statement of plastic tanks being illegal is complete B.S.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sierra Smokey

Posted September 08, 2005 - 11:54 AM

here in CA, I have heard several stories about the plastic gas tanks being illegal for road use, but I have had CHP tell me that is a fallacy, that it was never a law ... I am curious who's right :banghead:

They're right. CHP's BMW R1150RT-P motorcycles all have plastic fuel tanks. In fact, so do a lot of the newer BMW motorcycles. So the statement of plastic tanks being illegal is complete B.S.

• Thumpmeister

Posted September 08, 2005 - 08:11 PM

Okay, I just read all 5 pages of this post, and no mentioned the way to get around the whole DMV thing. Instead of trying to get a 'street lega' licence, you have to ask for a "Dual Use" permit or licence. You have to tell the stater or the DMV person that you want a Dual Use licence, which essentially allows you to ride your bike on the road, with the stuff needed (ie. Baja Designs kit). They don't tell you this cause these people are on serious power trips, but the loophole through the legalization crap is to tell them you want a Dual Use Permit.

• ImpalaR1

Posted September 08, 2005 - 08:20 PM

I'll try that tomorrow morning at my liscense office and see what the say. Should i ask for a dual use liscese, or Dual use permit?

• Thumpmeister

Posted September 08, 2005 - 08:26 PM

You have to tell them you want a dual use licence for your bike. And make sure to talk to the people at the DMV, and not just the stater.

• woodsrat

Posted September 09, 2005 - 08:10 AM

bp fire: If plastic tanks were illegal BMW wouldn't be using them. This is a myth. There may be some legitimate concerns by the manufacturers concerning potential liability in a crash with a plastic tank but so far there are no regulations regarding their use, to my knowledge.

• sgtmadmax

Posted September 09, 2005 - 08:35 AM

Take a look under some of the cars and trucks on the road right now they have plastic tanks.

• ImpalaR1

Posted September 09, 2005 - 09:54 AM

You have to tell them you want a dual use licence for your bike. And make sure to talk to the people at the DMV, and not just the stater.

Man, it was either ur advice that worked, or the fact that i talked to the head Lady at the liscense office this morning, But IT WORKED!!!! I left with a plate, tabs, And Street and ORV registrations both seperate so i can renew each seperatly. She said the guy i talked to last week didn't know what he was talking about, and that i didn't even need to go see the state patrol. Anyway, it made my day and i now have a street legal Xr650r! :banghead: :applause:

I think ur idea worked to say Dual use liscense, because she gave me both street and ORV registrations for the same bike. And she explained that i should just treat it as two different cars, The street one has CYC written on it, and the ORV one has ORV on it, and to carry which ever one suits my riding that day, or carry both in case the ORV parks need to see the ORV registration/tabs above and beyond the liscense plate for the street, because she said some ORV parks and trails require ORV tabs, and that a street plate doesn't work in those off road area's.....

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.