Just bought my Xr650r, but got shut down trying to plate it...now what?

53 replies to this topic
  • don87xr600

Posted September 02, 2005 - 01:53 PM

Did this "Federal regulation" just pass seconds ago? I can think of alot of brand new bikes that come with plastic tanks.

It's an old law, the engineers are way ahead of the lawmakers.

• qadsan

Posted September 02, 2005 - 04:31 PM

Yep... but none of them are street legal from the manufacturer...

The Harley Davidson V-Rod is sold from the showroom floor with a plastic fuel tank and so are other bikes such as various street versions of Aprillas, Huskey's, KTM's, etc.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted September 02, 2005 - 06:42 PM

no no, talk to a different person thats all u gotta do.....that guy just didnt know his ass from a hole in the ground!!!!

• Old_Man_Time

Posted September 02, 2005 - 06:51 PM

In the state of Washington the Evil Empire is in control. They do not enforce the laws that are on the books which allow dual sporting. They don't need to obey the law they just do it their way (The Green Party's way). The rebel forces have done little to overthrow the dark side. Vadar rules. :D

• BobbySands

Posted September 02, 2005 - 06:58 PM

i know i rode a Buell that came with a plastic gas tank. but in '96 the DR dirt came with plastic and the DR-s (which is what i have) came with the super heavy steel tank. there has to be some basis in this, even if it's no longer true.

• thumpasaurus

Posted September 02, 2005 - 07:04 PM

Keep trying. just go to different DMV's and try again. Get your story straight. It took me a couple tries here in Va, but finally panned out. I showed the MSO and told the lady I wanted a title, but not street tags or registration, so I could have a title to transfer someday when I sold it.

- Step 1 complete, got the title.

A few days later, different DMV, I just walked in w/ the title and said I wanted to register it and get plates.. Success on the first try! I had a buddy w/ a WR250F do it first try (he's very suave and better looking than me :D ) and another pull it off w/ a KTM 300ex/c 2smoke!!

The first couple clerks gave me the runaround they didn't really know, just kneejerk reacted negative. Just remember: be extremely nice and smile a lot. "Good morning, yes ma'am" that sort of thing. Also go in the morning first thing before they've had a chance to get in a bad mood..
:D

• khelton

Posted September 02, 2005 - 07:31 PM

Don't give up, Man ..it's worth the effort :D

• ImpalaR1

Posted September 02, 2005 - 09:27 PM

Keep trying. just go to different DMV's and try again. Get your story straight. It took me a couple tries here in Va, but finally panned out. I showed the MSO and told the lady I wanted a title, but not street tags or registration, so I could have a title to transfer someday when I sold it.

- Step 1 complete, got the title.

But wouldn't they say the same thing, "let me call the state patrol and see if this bike needs an inspection" before they switch the title to a street title? By the way, what did you say when u asked to get a new title, did u say somthing like, "Hi, i need to transfer this title for street use."?

I want to be prepared for the next trip to the liscense office.

• ImpalaR1

Posted September 02, 2005 - 09:31 PM

Don't give up, Man ..it's worth the effort :D

I took the bike out for a nice 'cruise' around the local streets here (watching carefully for cops), and i can't see myself selling it and getting a smaller street legal bike like a drz-400s, because the 650 has SO MUCH power! I was amazed, it was doing 3rd gear power wheelie's with ease. I think i'd just be dissapointed if i sold it to get a smaller factory street legal bike...... So, keep giving tips on how i should atempt my next trip to the liscense office...

• Supplicate

Posted September 03, 2005 - 06:34 AM

But wouldn't they say the same thing, "let me call the state patrol and see if this bike needs an inspection" before they switch the title to a street title? By the way, what did you say when u asked to get a new title, did u say somthing like, "Hi, i need to transfer this title for street use."?

I did similar with my R, and the police came over and did a VIN check on it. And then, right before he left he stopped and took a good look at the bike and said "I'm going to sign off on the VIN check, but before you get a liscence for this thing you better put a mirror and some blinkers on it."

And the crap deal is, in my state it isn't required to have blinkers for a street bike to be street legal, so why do I have to put them on a dirt bike to make it street legal

Oh well, its to the point now where I doubt I can get it titled and plated, but I'm going to try while the snow flys so I can have more fun next summer :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Toolmaker

Posted September 03, 2005 - 07:16 AM

Impala, don't you have any of your buddies that are cops ? or one of your buddies friends a cop , if not warm up to one , at the coffee shop, gun shop tell them your dilemma , its amazing what someone that likes you can overlook . They can defiantly help you out if they want to .

• thumpasaurus

Posted September 03, 2005 - 07:42 AM

I want to be prepared for the next trip to the liscense office.

It's kind of an odd case for most of the DMV clerks, and they are not likely to know the rules regarding it..

In Va a title is a title, there is no offroad version. Offroad vehicles only have MSO's.

So the first step is converting MSO to title, but don't ask to register or plate it.. This is where a story about wanting the title so you can eventually sell it out of state, or some such might be handy. That's believable since MSO's don't have a place to transfer ownership.

Getting the MSO coverted to a title is the tricky part. Once you have the title, getting registration and plates is a snap.

Dunno how much of this is applicable to Washington, but I'd give it a whirly anyway. Good luck.

• ImpalaR1

Posted September 03, 2005 - 07:54 AM

I have a title with the ORV brand on it...so i'm not sure that would work for my state...which sucks

What form can i have a cop fill out as an inspection so the liscense office plate's it without a state patrol inspection?

• wr450fyamaha

Posted September 03, 2005 - 11:06 AM

see, im usualy finding the guy who dont know the laws so i can get around the law hehehehehehehe :D :D :D

• HC

Posted September 03, 2005 - 10:08 PM

nylon/plastic is OK like my guzzi quota or a BMW GS,

That would be cool to watch :D Then they jump into their cruiser and pull you over :D and take your license for a year, but at least your bike will be plated :eek:

The reason they "tapped" your gas tank is LEGALLY your gas tank must be steel to be street legal :D

• HC

Posted September 03, 2005 - 10:31 PM

re plastic, any LC4 including current adv models, the wa NMA has at one time posted on this. If I was to get a ticket regarding this, I would fight it, in fact NMA is looking for people that have been harassed re plastic tanks.

Sorry to say this but ORV on a title is the kiss of death in WA, i looked at your photo, dont think you could get lucky and slide it by an inspection as its lacking even the basics of DOT stuff. best of luck, this state sucks re licenses.

• ImpalaR1

Posted September 04, 2005 - 08:35 AM

Well i just haven't even wasted any money on DOT stuff because when i took it first to get inspected, the guy said since it didn't have the factory sticker on it saying it meets road requierments he wouldn't inspect it at all....So it's not worth spending any money on DOT stuff right now.

• xr500_89

Posted September 04, 2005 - 11:59 AM

i dont know if anyone said this didnt feel like reading it but you could go to www.dmv.wa.gov and they always have a section on how to legally convert it.

• xr500_89

Posted September 04, 2005 - 12:00 PM

like in california they say that after 04 or something you cant do it anymore but they tell you how to get around that law as long as it passes a smog test

• HC

Posted September 04, 2005 - 07:16 PM

the NMA in washington has heard of this abuse of power ( your brothers plastic tank incident), they have requested that people who have been ticketed/harrased to contact them.

If I should get one ( plastic tank ticket) I'll take it to court and call every mfr that akes a bike with a plastic tank ( KTM, Guzzi, BMW, ATK, Buell) and see if they'll hire a suit.

have your brother contact me, I'll get ahold of the NMA, lets see if we can end this abuse of power.

The Washington State Patrol are often super ignorant a-- holes when it comes to street legal enforcement. My bro and nephew were pulled over together while riding their XR650Ls. One bike had IMS tank and DOT knobby tires and other bike was stock. Then instead of issuing ticket, the State Patrol required that the bike with IMS tank and DOT knobby tires be removed from highway and be hauled back home because "tank and tires were not legal". So they had to ride double from near Yakima all the way to Seattle and then drive truck to Yakima to get the bike. You just never know what these ingorant, self indulgent, little Hitlers, are going to pull on you. :eek: :D :D :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.