Just bought my Xr650r, but got shut down trying to plate it...now what?

53 replies to this topic
  • ImpalaR1

Posted September 01, 2005 - 02:49 PM

Well i just got home with my new 00 XR650r, and let me just say, it's a beast. uncorked and it's got me even scared to do 1st gear wheelie's since the wheel comes up so fast, so i do 2nd and 3rd gear wheelie's with ease. But here's where a huge problem comes in, I had a friend who got his xr plated a few days ago, and i went and tried the exact same thing he did, and got denied. The liscense place said to get the State patrol's ok, so i went to the state patrol, and they said they won't even inspect it once i get a kit on it because it doesn't have a factory sticker saying it meets the road requierments. And i got this bike with the full intention of making it a dual sport, and doing alot of street riding and some trails....So now i don't know what to do. The guy at the inspection place said that if Honda sends a note saying this model can be made street legal with a dual sport kit, then he'll ok it..... :D :D

What can i do? :D Because if i can't get it street legal, i have to sell it right away because i need a bike that i can ride on the road.... This really sucks, and ruined my day because i was almost expecting to get a plate today after talking to the guy at the liscense place a few days ago, and he was like, "so it's a orv and u want it street legal and a plate," and i said, "yes, so are u sure i can just come in with my title that says ORV on it, and u'll just transfer it to a cyc street title and give me a plate and everything", and he said, "yep!!!!!".... :eek: ..

• captb

Posted September 01, 2005 - 03:37 PM

Might call a Honda dealer and see what they say. It's no problem here in Az and Fl.

• ImpalaR1

Posted September 01, 2005 - 05:37 PM

I called al's honda and they said, "Honda would never issue a certificate like that."

I really don't want to sell this thing, i want to get it plated somehow. My uncle live's in Denver CO and i heard i could just "sell him" the bike, and have him just take the title to the liscence office, and they just give you a plate and everything without a hesitation. Is that true? If that's true, i think that's probably my only chance to get it plated. Because the guys at the State patrol were some straight up A$$ hole's about it, One guy came over and tap'd my gas tank, and they were just acting like punks..... So i'd love to get it plated by my uncle and just pull into the state patrol vehicle inspection office here and pull a wheelie all the way through there inspection line.....

• captb

Posted September 01, 2005 - 06:17 PM

Put a post up for Co. riders they should be able to confirm, I know some come here to AZ from Cali. to plate them. There's quads running down the road here with plates on them.

• mcd

Posted September 01, 2005 - 07:39 PM

A friend of mine (I'm in CA) who lives in your state was dealing with the same shat when he was looking to plate an XR650R in your state. He ended up buying a plated 650R out of Oregon cuz if it's already street plated in another state they'd (Washington) accept it. You might want to try the title tapdance with your connection out of state so you can keep your bike. Or sell it and get one like my friend did. Good Luck!
Chris

• bp_fire

Posted September 01, 2005 - 08:15 PM

I called al's honda and they said, "Honda would never issue a certificate like that."

I really don't want to sell this thing, i want to get it plated somehow. My uncle live's in Denver CO and i heard i could just "sell him" the bike, and have him just take the title to the liscence office, and they just give you a plate and everything without a hesitation. Is that true? If that's true, i think that's probably my only chance to get it plated. Because the guys at the State patrol were some straight up A$$ hole's about it, One guy came over and tap'd my gas tank, and they were just acting like punks..... So i'd love to get it plated by my uncle and just pull into the state patrol vehicle inspection office here and pull a wheelie all the way through there inspection line.....

That would be cool to watch :D Then they jump into their cruiser and pull you over :D and take your license for a year, but at least your bike will be plated :eek:

The reason they "tapped" your gas tank is LEGALLY your gas tank must be steel to be street legal :D

• ImpalaR1

Posted September 01, 2005 - 08:33 PM

i'll make a thread for the CO rider's and see what they say. I really don't want to sell this one and find a already street legal one, because this one is POWERFUL! He got it professionally tuned and it's a beats.

• ImpalaR1

Posted September 01, 2005 - 08:50 PM

Posted Image

• danbart

Posted September 01, 2005 - 09:42 PM

Colorado will take it. Hell just last weekend I saw a plated CR500 2 stroke!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Husky_Forever

Posted September 01, 2005 - 10:04 PM

Sell it and look for a plated one from some other state like Ca. Then transfer the registration to Washington. There are a lot of 00-04's that are plated here in So. California. Steny

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • babbs

Posted September 02, 2005 - 05:19 AM

Take it to a different State patrol office, or the same one when those guys aren't there. Just keep getting turned down until you find someone that actually knows the rules and will deem it roadworthy. Most people probably don't know the laws, and it is easier to turn you down than to learn the laws.

• oldturtle

Posted September 02, 2005 - 06:30 AM

The Washington State Patrol are often super ignorant a-- holes when it comes to street legal enforcement. My bro and nephew were pulled over together while riding their XR650Ls. One bike had IMS tank and DOT knobby tires and other bike was stock. Then instead of issuing ticket, the State Patrol required that the bike with IMS tank and DOT knobby tires be removed from highway and be hauled back home because "tank and tires were not legal". So they had to ride double from near Yakima all the way to Seattle and then drive truck to Yakima to get the bike. You just never know what these ingorant, self indulgent, little Hitlers, are going to pull on you. :eek: :D :D :D

• roadcam

Posted September 02, 2005 - 07:22 AM

here in CA, I have heard several stories about the plastic gas tanks being illegal for road use, but I have had CHP tell me that is a fallacy, that it was never a law ... I am curious who's right :D

• don87xr600

Posted September 02, 2005 - 07:34 AM

Metal tanks are a federal regulation required of manufactures. Aftermarket plastic tanks are legal.

• Biff Malibu

Posted September 02, 2005 - 09:56 AM

Metal tanks are a federal regulation required of manufactures. Aftermarket plastic tanks are legal.

Did this "Federal regulation" just pass seconds ago? I can think of alot of brand new bikes that come with plastic tanks.

• PowerCell

Posted September 02, 2005 - 10:06 AM

Did this "Federal regulation" just pass seconds ago? I can think of alot of brand new bikes that come with plastic tanks.

Yep... but none of them are street legal from the manufacturer...

• x400r

Posted September 02, 2005 - 10:38 AM

put a dual sport kit on it? get it inspected and get the title changed and get a plate. :D

• irondude

Posted September 02, 2005 - 11:30 AM

dude-
most cars now have plastic fuel tanks.
Its a fallacy that street bikes must have them.

The Husqvarna TE610 comes with a plastic fuel tank and a license plate...

• Biff Malibu

Posted September 02, 2005 - 11:42 AM

Yep... but none of them are street legal from the manufacturer...

There are a ton of street legal bikes that don't have metal tanks. How about the Bmw HP2?

• ImpalaR1

Posted September 02, 2005 - 12:24 PM

put a dual sport kit on it? get it inspected and get the title changed and get a plate. :D

I went to the State patrol yesterday, and they won't even inspect it with or w/o a dual sport kit because the bike doesn't have a Factory sticker on it saying it meets the federal requirments for road use. So that leave's me with selling the bike. :D :D

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.