What's a clear sign an airhead is overheating?

10 replies to this topic
  • ghoti

Posted August 31, 2005 - 08:54 AM

Are there any? I ride in stop and go traffic some days over 100º. I notice a slight decrease in power but that's it. Is there anything that means shut it down NOW?

• TahomaTom

Posted August 31, 2005 - 10:45 AM

Do you have a temp dip stick? I am no expert but that is what I go by. I give her a rest once it hits 290-300.

• TimBrp

Posted August 31, 2005 - 10:47 AM

The bike will ping like it's running on bad gas.

• ghoti

Posted August 31, 2005 - 12:18 PM

So it'll start knocking? Certainly not fatal. A harley (883 I think) passed me while i was waiting for the light yesterday and it sounded like there were a fist full of nuts in each cylinder :D I don't have a temp dipstick...290º is darn hot, what temp would the wrist pin seize. Anyone know what temp dino oil gets all gummy?

• roadcam

Posted September 01, 2005 - 01:48 AM

I read petroleum-based oils start breaking down at 300 degrees, synthetics at 600 - 700 degrees, ... and the split-second the oil film passes over a bearing journal, it hits 900 degrees ... dont know how accurate those figures are, but I found them on some oil maufacturers website a long time ago

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TREADMARKS

Posted September 01, 2005 - 03:01 AM

My Harley will begin limiting the ignition cycles to help keep it cool around 260-270. It has happened once while stuck in traffic. I installed a jag oil cooler with two hi flow fans, and used a hayden solid state thermostat to control them. it has not been over 210 since. And it is hell hot here in Miami. I could always tell it was getting hot by the ticking noise coming from the engine. The hotter it gets, the louder it ticks.

My Honda is getting too hot after a 70-80 mph ride for about 20 minutes. When I got to work this morning, the ticking was pretty noticeable. It was too hot to rest my finger near the oil cap on the frame thats for sure. I know it is running too lean, and if my jets come in from carbparts.com today as scheduled, I will do the Dave carb jet mod tonight. Is it possible to install an oil cooler on these bikes? Where would it connect and mount? :D

• Toolmaker

Posted September 01, 2005 - 04:33 AM

A guy I work with has a XR250 and it has a nice small oil cooler on it from the factory , I bet if you checked one out you could put one of the on your bike without to much trouble.

• ghoti

Posted September 01, 2005 - 04:45 AM

Jags used to make an oil cooler that mounted up by the filler but have been discontinued. So I guess nobody has ever had a air cooled motor fail because of over-heating :D

• Moredesert

Posted September 01, 2005 - 02:50 PM

The bike will ping like it's running on bad gas.

That is what I was going to say. I rode an XR600 for years and pinging or hard to start hot when I fell or shut it down for a minute.

• roadcam

Posted September 01, 2005 - 03:06 PM

A guy I work with has a XR250 and it has a nice small oil cooler on it from the factory , I bet if you checked one out you could put one of the on your bike without to much trouble.

Scott Summers (SRC) sells the 400 oil cooler as a kit for the 600-650s ... a bit pricey, but its the only one left out there as a kit ... I have a streetbike oil cooler I was going to adapt, but haven't tackled it yet, haven't found a good place to hang it ...

• mcd

Posted September 01, 2005 - 07:51 PM

Friends of mine who all worked at a Honda shop rode XR600s with factory XR250 oil coolers on them. If'n I remember right it was a no hassle mountup.
And for the original question - - it'll start pinging.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.