Advice on Stabilizers, Bars and Top Clamps

22 replies to this topic
  • bg10459

Posted August 31, 2005 - 06:09 AM

A recent crash tweaked the stock bars on my WR (and rung my bell pretty good :D ), so I’m looking to replace them. I’d also like to add a steering stabilizer, but the cost is prohibitive at the current time, so I’ll probably get the 1 1/8 adapter for the stock clamp for the time being. My questions are:
1. When I do add the stabilizer, I have to change the top clamp, correct?
2. If I wanted offset clamps, would I have to get both top and bottom?
3. I want 1 1/8 bars and I’m leaning toward the Renthal twinwalls. Will they fit with the stabilizer (even high bars?), or do I have to get the Fatbars (without the cross bar)? (I realize the sub mount kit would work, but I think that would raise the bars too much compared to the stock clamp with the adapter, plus maybe cost more).
4. Is there anything else I should know?
5. Does anyone have any recommendations for bars, triple clamps, stabilizers, etc.?

Thanks in advance all. :D

• bfly

Posted August 31, 2005 - 06:29 AM

I wound up getting the RTT stabalizer. If you want to run fat bars the RTT is a great choice since it is a new tripple clamp as well as a stabalizer. The RTT also allows you to run more handlebar positions.

• bg10459

Posted August 31, 2005 - 06:55 AM

Thanks.
BTW, that is the funniest damn avatar I have ever seen. :D

• bfly

Posted August 31, 2005 - 07:11 AM

Thanks.
BTW, that is the funniest damn avatar I have ever seen. :D

Thanks.

I actually know nothing about bikes. I just post so I can see my avatar. :D

• JTWR450

Posted August 31, 2005 - 07:27 AM

Check into the BRP S.U.B. Mount system as well. I run this and it is a sweet deal. I dont think I will ride withput my Scotts again.

• BNutZ

Posted August 31, 2005 - 10:49 AM

I considered doing the same thing you're considering.. going with the universal adapters and bars.... I knew I really wanted a stabliizer though. If you can swing it, get the BRP SUB Mount as JTWR450 suggested. Here's my recent thread with pics of my newly installed SUB mount. http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=287071

• clark4131

Posted August 31, 2005 - 12:34 PM

After seeing that SUB mount, I'm going to have to retrofit my bike. I've already got the Scotts Damper, so I just need the kit from BRP which runs about $120 from Scotts. That is truly a nice setup and I wish I knew about it 6 months ago. Oh well, something to save for...SC

• byggd

Posted August 31, 2005 - 01:14 PM

After seeing that SUB mount, I'm going to have to retrofit my bike. I've already got the Scotts Damper, so I just need the kit from BRP which runs about $120 from Scotts. That is truly a nice setup and I wish I knew about it 6 months ago. Oh well, something to save for...SC

So if I have a scotts stab I can convert it to this style?? http://www.bnutz.com..._SUB_Mount2.jpg It looks almost upside down
:D

• clark4131

Posted August 31, 2005 - 02:47 PM

Yep. You need to buy the little arm puller tool from Scotts ($13) that removes the thing without destroying the seal so you can turn it around. I looked at the procedure and it's a no-brainer. You may need to buy a new bracket as well, but they said the original may work as well. Mine's bolt-on is now welded on so I'm gonna try using it. It needs to be shorted a bit but that doesn't seem too difficult. It'll be a winter project for me...SC

• byggd

Posted August 31, 2005 - 03:37 PM

Yep. You need to buy the little arm puller tool from Scotts ($13) that removes the thing without destroying the seal so you can turn it around. I looked at the procedure and it's a no-brainer. You may need to buy a new bracket as well, but they said the original may work as well. Mine's bolt-on is now welded on so I'm gonna try using it. It needs to be shorted a bit but that doesn't seem too difficult. It'll be a winter project for me...SC

Cool! I'll have to check it out and see if I have enough clearance under the bars. Besides the tool, is there some other mounting kit needed?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted August 31, 2005 - 05:53 PM

Only if you already have a Scotts or BRP upper triple clamp. You still have to buy the SUB mount which includes the higher bar risers and the mounting hardware for the damper. If you can get away with using the old bracket you can do it for relatively cheap...SC

• ISBB

Posted August 31, 2005 - 06:35 PM

im leaning towards the RTT one.. :D

• bg10459

Posted September 01, 2005 - 05:21 AM

OK, before this thread gets away from me, someone please conform or correct my conclusions.
First, a stabilizer kit is not in my budget at this time. Therefore, I will get new bars with the 1 1/8 bar clamp adapter.
I assume (unless I use the RTT damper) that standard damper mounts go above the bars, attached to special bar clamps, with a longer tower. This would require bars without a crossbar. Bar height is not changed by this type of mount. Can this system be used with the stock WR upper triple clamp? Or will it be too high for the tower with the 1 1/8 bar adapters?
If I go with the SUB mount, the damper mounts directly to a new upper triple clamp and uses a shorter tower. The bars are above the damper, which would allow the use of bars with a crossbar. The SUB mount raises the bars 25 mm over stock, verses about 17.5 mm with the adapter. Therefore, the bars will be between 1/4” and 5/16” higher with the SUB mount than with the adapter.
Like I said, I’d like to get the Renthal Twinwalls, and I’m leaning toward the Scotts (BRP) damper because I've heard lots of good things about them. If I go with the SUB mount I should be able to get the bend I want without having to worry too much about bar height difference after installing the Damper.

• bg10459

Posted September 06, 2005 - 12:10 PM

Upon further review, I think you can go with any aftermarket top clamp and mount the BRP SUB Mount kit to it.

The big question now is, which, if any, top clamps will provide mounting points for the headlight, odometer and brake cable guide?

• clark4131

Posted September 06, 2005 - 02:19 PM

My Scotts clamp had all the necessary doodads to mount it up...SC

• flatnacker

Posted September 06, 2005 - 02:23 PM

I have the scotss damper/triple clamp combo. Is there ANY way I can raise the bars?????????????? :D

• skidxr

Posted September 06, 2005 - 02:48 PM

Sorry to but in your thread but I have a question about the Scoots as well.. I have a chance to pick up a Scoots that is about 3 years old but has never been used. The setup the guy has is for an xr and I want to use it on my 05 WR450.. Does anyone know if I can get just the mounting hardware and if so can I keep my stock bars and triple clamp?

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 06, 2005 - 03:40 PM

Sorry to but in your thread but I have a question about the Scoots as well.. I have a chance to pick up a Scoots that is about 3 years old but has never been used. The setup the guy has is for an xr and I want to use it on my 05 WR450.. Does anyone know if I can get just the mounting hardware and if so can I keep my stock bars and triple clamp?

Skid, just buy the dampener from him and none of the accesories.. None of that stuff will fit your bike. You can go to WWW.Scottsperformance.com and buy the kit to mount it to your WR. The kits are 129.99 they include everything to mount the stabilizer to your bike. You can use all your stock stuff.

Dan :D

• G'nK-ville

Posted September 06, 2005 - 05:02 PM

Upon further review, I think you can go with any aftermarket top clamp and mount the BRP SUB Mount kit to it.

The big question now is, which, if any, top clamps will provide mounting points for the headlight, odometer and brake cable guide?

You can not go with just any upper clamp. They do not make a sub mount for the Applied clamps I have. If I were you, I would call and ask scotts before ordering a set of clamps for a future damper. :D

• flatnacker

Posted September 06, 2005 - 05:06 PM

I have the scotss damper/triple clamp combo. Is there ANY way I can raise the bars?????????????? :D

Anyone????

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.