Need help with throttle!

5 replies to this topic
  • Speed4Rider

Posted August 30, 2005 - 06:54 PM

I have a 2001 xr650r that I have to change the bars on b/c I changed the triple clamps... When I went to remove the throttle I found that the last person (just bought this bike 2 weeks ago) to use a screw driver on the phillips head screw, stripped them out. :D

So now I cant remove the throttle. Not only that, in trying all my options to remove I think I might have damaged it. :D

Okay so please help me figure out what my options are. I need to do something quickly so I can ride this weekend.

• Supplicate

Posted August 30, 2005 - 06:57 PM

just destroy the screws getting them out, use vice grips or screw extractors or whatever.

Then run down to NAPA and get two 6mm x 100 x 20 alen head bolts so you never have to wory about it again.

They cost a whole $0.49 per bolt.

• Mark_Bear

Posted August 30, 2005 - 07:01 PM

I'm not sure if this will work on the throttle cause I don't know if there is room, but I have often used a metal hacksaw blade to cut a groove in the head, then simply use a flat blade screwdriver to undo it. It can be a laborious task but with a bit of patience and persistence you can usually get enough of a groove to get it undone.

Alternatively if you can get one side undone it should be loose enough to slide of the end, may have remove the handlebar bolts or disconnect the cables from the carby first to get enough room to slide it off.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted August 30, 2005 - 07:24 PM

I would drill the heads off using the same diameter drill as the screw shank. Once apart you should be able to turn the threaded shank out with pliers or visegrips.

• Speed4Rider

Posted August 30, 2005 - 07:53 PM

Thanks everyone. I had given up thinking that I was going to have to buy a whole new assembly. I think I may be able to salvage it after all. Thanks.

• LVThumper

Posted August 30, 2005 - 08:39 PM

Try an "easy out". They are basically reverse threaded drill bits. It will ruin the bolt, but as previously posted by Supplicate, they are cheap to replace. You can pick them up at any Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. :D

Related Content

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  40 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

new xr600r rider by spillway_rider

• 19 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.