Stock chain - taken link out

10 replies to this topic
  • achudasko

Posted August 30, 2005 - 05:20 PM

I have recently taken a link out of my stock chain for my YZF 450 04 model. I could not get anymore adjustment out of it. Is this common practice, and should I get a few more rides out of it before I have to replace? I do 100% bush riding. Or am I cutting it fine and should I replace with an O-ring now. Im trying to watch the $$$ im spending. Was thinking of doing one more ride this weekend which will be 180k's.

Thanks for any advice.

• ripntear

Posted August 30, 2005 - 05:52 PM

It was common for me when I was growing up and had to throw papers and hoe weeds for my cash. I would get every cent worth out of anything I bought for one of my bikes. With that said, I now go buy a new chain before they get to the point yours is at.

In your case you would probably be ok riding this weekend, but @ 180k in the bush, it would definitely be ready to hang up after this one. Check your sprockets too.

Have fun and good luck!

• markvan

Posted August 30, 2005 - 06:55 PM

If your trying to save money, keep riding untill the sprockets are shot. It's always best to change the chain and sprockets all at the same time anyway, that way you'll get the most life out of both. Just be sure to ride with a buddy in case the chain does go on you, if it's near the end of it's life.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted August 30, 2005 - 07:50 PM

If your trying to save money, keep riding untill the sprockets are shot. It's always best to change the chain and sprockets all at the same time anyway, that way you'll get the most life out of both. Just be sure to ride with a buddy in case the chain does go on you, if it's near the end of it's life.

Id say the sprockets are shot along with the chain. If he wanted to get one more big ride out of it, Id take an extra master link and a chain breaker just in case...being stuck 90 Km from tools and parts you can carry sucks bad...

• achudasko

Posted August 30, 2005 - 09:17 PM

Thanks for the reponses.

Ive only done around 8 rides which where around 110k average. Its just that the stock chain like everyone knows is junk and streches each ride. The sprockets are still in brand new condition. Still plenty of life in them. Ive done two rides since taking a link out and still have plenty of adjustment left however was not sure how much further I can use it. Dont want to throw it if there is no need to just yet. However it seems that most think I should be ok for one more ride. I will hang it up after this big ride this weekend I think. I have purchased a spare main link just in case.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • phat_450f

Posted August 30, 2005 - 11:18 PM

I did the same thing for my 05 450 then after the second time i said f this and got a good chain.

• sirthumpalot

Posted August 31, 2005 - 03:47 AM

If the sprockets still look good then get a new chain on there asap. Nothing kills sprockets faster than a stretched out chain. Also sometimes a chain breaks and it's no big deal at all, only a walk back to the truck. Sometimes when it breaks it takes other parts with it, such as your left side case, or it can smack you in the leg. In a wost case it breaks when you're relying on power, such as on a jump takeoff, etc.. So perosnally at that point I would replace it as a matter of safety, but it's entirely up to you. :D

• achudasko

Posted August 31, 2005 - 02:35 PM

I thought I would not take the risk so went out and purchased a new DID X-ring chain. Got sucked into buying the X-ring instead of a O-ring for an extra $30. The guy reckon it will last longer than a O-ring, but from reading on here it looks like that is debatable. Oh well, I'm sure it will be a good chain regardless.

• ripntear

Posted August 31, 2005 - 05:32 PM

Always better safe than sorry!

• sirthumpalot

Posted September 01, 2005 - 03:13 AM

Can't go wrong with the x-ring!

• SCOTTYZF426FLA

Posted September 01, 2005 - 08:41 AM

I went with the RK X/W ring and a Sidewinder Tri Metal sprocket. I have over a year on it at the track with lots of Florida Sand. I have adjusted the chain ONCE!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.