Scotts Damper Bracket Issues

20 replies to this topic
  • clark4131

Posted August 30, 2005 - 12:51 PM

I dunno about anyone else, but I was having an issue with the bolt-on bracket that holds the pin for my Scotts Damper. I did all the weld filing and gasket trimming in a textbook fashion and the bracket sat perfectly on the frame with no problems. However, the thing would still move a couple of degrees in either direction during a ride. I installed set screws in an attempt to compensate, but that didn't work. I tried metal epoxy to no avail. I even cranked the little screws in the back so tight that their allen heads stripped out. I was on my way to ordering the weld on bracket when it dawned on me to just weld the damn bolt-on bracket. To make a long story longer, that's what I ended up doing a few days ago. A spot weld at 3 and 9 o'clock and all is right with the world once again. So if you've got a wandering bracket, just tack that thing to the frame with a little 110v mig welder and you'll be in business. Just a little FYI for y'all...SC

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 30, 2005 - 12:57 PM

Good call just watch the heat on the upper steering head bearing. :D
Can you still remove the bearing with the clamp on welded? It covers the seal somewhat and may make it difficult to pull the bearing out. :D

• byggd

Posted August 30, 2005 - 01:01 PM

I have the same problem with mine unless I really crank the screws down tight. I thought of welding it but the previous owner put the temp gauge in where the dip stick goes so to check the oil I have to loosen the Scott's bracket to get enough clearance to remover the temp gauge and check the oil. What a pain in the butt.....might just do away with the temp gauge :D

• kirkw

Posted August 30, 2005 - 02:20 PM

Instead of a weld, I used JB Weld. No heat on the head tube nor slips after hundreds of miles!!

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 30, 2005 - 02:31 PM

I use green loctite 638 it is welds the clamp on! :D

• clark4131

Posted August 30, 2005 - 03:42 PM

I just did little tack welds, so the heat issue was minimal. Since the collar sits below the seal and to the outside of the head tube, I don't think the bearing will be an issue. Since they're little welds, they can be ground off in a matter of minutes if need be. Thanks for the watchouts though...SC

• aa21830

Posted August 30, 2005 - 07:00 PM

Maybe there are some bikes where the bolt-on tower works. I haven't found one yet. Weld it.

• bhiggins25

Posted March 22, 2007 - 07:57 AM

Did you tack weld the frame bracket on top (adjacent to or on top of the seal) or on the underside?

• Seabass

Posted March 22, 2007 - 08:36 AM

I tack welded mine on after the bracket came loose and the bars locked up on a gnarly downhill. No problem with getting to the steering head bearings.
Can the tower be welded on the new aluminum frame?

• bhiggins25

Posted March 22, 2007 - 09:17 AM

According to Clark (we pm'ed), he tack welded it on the underside of the frame bracket. This makes sense.

Also, I just talked to one of the customer service reps at Scotts and he said he did the same thing on his bike. Sounds like the way to go.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • emtieman

Posted March 23, 2007 - 07:35 PM

Post some pics of your securing jobs.

• Fryboy

Posted March 24, 2007 - 08:30 AM

Yup, this is a pretty common problem. I remember dealing with the bracket always popping loose after a good get off. You truly don't realize how much your damper works until you have to ride without it :eek:

The clamp has come loose maybe 1 more time in the past 4 years. What the trick with them little allen bolts is turn it just a bit, then switch to the other one, repeat, until all the way tight. This has worked great for me.

If it happens to me again, I'll remember this post. :applause:

• bhiggins25

Posted March 24, 2007 - 04:46 PM

Here are my pictures. It's still cooling off. Haven't cleaned it up yet. I'll get out the dremel and the frame paint and make it look a little nicer than this.

I'm also going to get the bar clamp anodized red to match the triple clamp. That will be nice.

Brake side
Posted Image

Clutch side
Posted Image

• bhiggins25

Posted March 27, 2007 - 03:39 PM

No thoughts on my welding job, eh?

• clark4131

Posted March 27, 2007 - 05:14 PM

Nothing like the old "booger weld" technique :bonk:. As long as it holds, who cares what it looks like, though I did grind mine down afterwards because I'm anal about stuff like that...SC

• xrmarty

Posted March 30, 2007 - 10:33 AM

I have the same problem on my xr. it still moves a little on hard settings

Posted March 30, 2007 - 11:00 AM

Anyone here put one on thier 07' yet and experience problems?

Posted March 30, 2007 - 11:11 AM

Anyone here put one on thier 07' yet and experience problems?

Actually I just realized that the 07' kit has a bracket or tab coming off of it that allows it to be held in place by the front gas tank bolt:thumbsup: No problems.....

• mxcowboy

Posted March 30, 2007 - 02:08 PM

Here's my SUB mount on my WR450F.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted March 30, 2007 - 02:20 PM

Here's my SUB mount on my WR450F.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Who's kit is that?

I just got the BRP under bar kit and it looks just a little different than that.

Nice set up:thumbsup:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.