Xr650r

7 replies to this topic
  • kevin204

Posted August 30, 2005 - 08:14 AM

Well I have been thinking of getting one for my next bike. I was thinking maybe next fall I would get one. I am 6'3 and 250lbs. I currently ride a CRF450 but was thinking of getting something a little easier to work on and with a little more power. A CR500 was in the run, but I am beginning to lean towards the XR because I am a four stroke guy at heart. I ride mainly open fields/fire roads and sand pits, but do the occasional trail ride. Nothing too tight, so the XR shouldnt be a problem. Does it sound like a 650R would be a good bike for me?

• TimBrp

Posted August 30, 2005 - 08:30 AM

Get the 650R. You'll be glad you did.

• captb

Posted August 30, 2005 - 09:23 AM

250 pounds like me you are 650R material, the big grunt is the tits, I think you'll find the upkeep is very minor, except for chewing rear tires in the rocky terrain.

• J_Daniels

Posted August 30, 2005 - 11:21 AM

And an uncorked 650R will run with a CR500 in most conditions. Plus: uses way less fuel, will idle, have power on bottom as well as top, be plateable, hold up better, have better resale; the list goes on...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kevin204

Posted August 30, 2005 - 12:22 PM

Sounds good, thanks for the replies guys. Looks like this time next year I will be looking for one.

• huntmaster

Posted August 30, 2005 - 02:53 PM

Base on your size, maintenance and riding preferences you are on the right track with the 650R, and sounds custom made fore you. In fact for larger or stronger riders they aren't bad even in the technical stuff, as weight is less of an issue and the engine and suspension work great there.

I also road a converted CR500 for a while; with a big tank, gearing and flywheel updates. It will do the job nicely too, but despite being lighter can be a real handful in technical stuff!

Well I have been thinking of getting one for my next bike. I was thinking maybe next fall I would get one. I am 6'3 and 250lbs. I currently ride a CRF450 but was thinking of getting something a little easier to work on and with a little more power. A CR500 was in the run, but I am beginning to lean towards the XR because I am a four stroke guy at heart. I ride mainly open fields/fire roads and sand pits, but do the occasional trail ride. Nothing too tight, so the XR shouldnt be a problem. Does it sound like a 650R would be a good bike for me?

• BWB63

Posted August 30, 2005 - 03:56 PM

Here are some bad points that those that buy the XR650R have to go through! :eek: :eek:

The biggest is the face hurting from the constant grin from pulling the throttle and the bike having instant power.

Getting chased by the police because you can't help but, ride a wheelie down the street at speeds you shouldn't even be riding at.

The constant wining of the guys with XR650L's that it's not fair that our bikes are better and still have the XR name :D

Going through new rear tires every 400 miles :eek: :D

Constantly buying stuff you don't realy need for the bike. Because you feel bad that your KTM friends are spending so much keeping theirs running. :D

Having a comfortable trail bike you can actualy jump! :D

Having the cops always looking at you and then just before they pull you over see that you have a plate! :D

There are the things that should be fixed, Like: The carburetor sucks for racing or waking the throttle, the swingarm, shock linkage and steering stem have no greese in them from the factory. Most riders weight is a lot more then the 170 pounds the suspension was setup for. The fork oil is wale snot and makes the rebound rod in the forks rust. The bike has a right foot peg problem. You should grease the chain adjusters or the get welded to the swing arm. Sub-frame is bent to the left. The intake valves are to soft. The bars are to low and to close to the rider. Front brake could be better.

• Supplicate

Posted August 30, 2005 - 04:27 PM

Here are some bad points that those that buy the XR650R have to go through!

exactly :D

but it was all worth it, even though I'm still going through the whole swingarm/shock linkage debacle with mine.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.