'98 YZ400 Timing Chain Problem

14 replies to this topic
  • Tim_Whisnant

Posted August 30, 2005 - 05:21 AM

It seems my timing chain keeps jumping a tooth. I get it fixed but soon after it does it again and runs like crap. (or not at all)
What would cause this to happen all the time ? :D

The valves were adjusted and were fine and the carb has been rebuilt also.
The bike was sitting for a long time before. (9 months)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ! :D

• YZRob

Posted August 30, 2005 - 05:37 AM

Sounds like worn timing chain and possibly gears. I would replace them as a set. also check the chain adjuster.

• Pincushion

Posted August 30, 2005 - 06:21 AM

Check the gear on the crank. If its shot then a new half crank is in your future

• grayracer513

Posted August 30, 2005 - 06:48 AM

Sounds like worn timing chain and possibly gears. I would replace them as a set. also check the chain adjuster.

I always get a chuckle out of it when someone makes this recommendation. It would cost $600 to do that. The cam sprockets are serviced only by replacing the cams, and the crank sprocket is cut directly on the left axle of the crank.

Fortunately, it seems nearly impossible to wear out the cam sprockets. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the one on the crank. This is the single best reason to replace the cam chain on a fairly regular basis; so that it won't prematurely wear the crank gear off.

Yamaha does, however list the two halves of the crank separately, if that turns out to be necessary.

• MotoGoalie

Posted August 30, 2005 - 07:18 AM

Yamaha does, however list the two halves of the crank separately, if that turns out to be necessary.

What's your suggestion on this situation? Replace the WHOLE crank of just the half....doesn't that entail getting it pressed correctly? :D

• grayracer513

Posted August 30, 2005 - 07:51 AM

What's your suggestion on this situation? Replace the WHOLE crank of just the half....doesn't that entail getting it pressed correctly? :D

Yes, it does, and that involves shop labor, so in the end, I'm not sure which would be less costly. Another detail is that to be technically correct, you should not reuse the crank pin (press it out of one crank and into another), and you shouldn't use a used bearing on a new crank pin, and... you see where this is going, don't you?

I would check the TT store for a new crank, is what I would do. Their OEM parts prices can only be beat if you own a dealership or have a sponsorship.

• MotoGoalie

Posted August 30, 2005 - 08:05 AM

I would check the TT store for a new crank, is what I would do. Their OEM parts prices can only be beat if you own a dealership or have a sponsorship.

Good deal. Just trying to prepare to do things correctly if/when the day comes. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PumpkinHumper

Posted August 30, 2005 - 08:14 AM

You might try replacing the chain 1st. Chain is like $35. Crank is major $ and time. If its a 98 the chain is probably stretched out farther than the tensioner can compinsate for. yea the sprockets may be worn. But what do you have to loose by swaping out a new chain. What $35 if the sprockets eat the chain. Still cheep compared to a new crank / splitting the cases.

• grayracer513

Posted August 30, 2005 - 12:53 PM

Well, of course, the thing to do is remove the flywheel and stator to inspect the sprocket's condition, then decide what to do from that point.

• MotoGoalie

Posted August 30, 2005 - 01:06 PM

Well, of course, the thing to do is remove the flywheel and stator to inspect the sprocket's condition, then decide what to do from that point.

Come on now. Let's just speculate on the internet and make him throw all kinds of time and coin at the problem in a haphazard fashion. :D :D

• grayracer513

Posted August 30, 2005 - 01:36 PM

Chain is like $35.

The chain for my '03 was $20 with an ignition over gasket and California sales tax. It's too cheap no to do once in a while.

• Tim_Whisnant

Posted August 30, 2005 - 09:17 PM

Thanks for all that info !! I'm going to try just the chain first and go from there. :D

• SXP

Posted August 31, 2005 - 06:26 AM

The chain for my '03 was $20 with an ignition over gasket and California sales tax. It's too cheap no to do once in a while.

I just picked up a timing chain for my 99 WR400 from my local dealer - $38 OTD. Probably cheaper here on TT, but after you pay shipping and handling (&%$#@! is that :D ), it's more expensive.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted August 31, 2005 - 07:55 AM

Timing chain $35 thru www.powersportspro.com for a 99 yz400.

• grayracer513

Posted August 31, 2005 - 08:01 AM

I just picked up a timing chain for my 99 WR400 from my local dealer - $38 OTD. Probably cheaper here on TT, but after you pay shipping and handling (&%$#@! is that :D ), it's more expensive.

My $20 cost was a no-discount buy at a dealer, too. Like a lot of things, the old stuff costs more than the current product.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.