XR650L in the mud...

33 replies to this topic
  • ghoti

Posted September 01, 2005 - 04:46 AM

Jayzonk,
Don't listen to any of these guys.. Your bike will run better if you plug it up MORE that it is stock. Spraypaint your stock paper air filter with heavy chrome paint. Stuff carrots into the end of the muffler, and fill the airbox with dogfood. :D :D

And keep those stock tires too :D

• roadcam

Posted September 01, 2005 - 07:23 AM

And keep those stock tires too :D

any particular brand of dog food better than the others
:D

• Dual_Dog

Posted September 01, 2005 - 07:42 AM

Jayzonk,
Don't listen to any of these guys.. Your bike will run better if you plug it up MORE that it is stock. Spraypaint your stock paper air filter with heavy chrome paint. Stuff carrots into the end of the muffler, and fill the airbox with dogfood. :D :D

This forum would be pretty dull if Honda never made the 'L'. Good thing they did so we can keep bashing the BFP (Big Fat Pig)!

My poor XRL, it'll never be the same. All those rides in Mex, at Corral Canyon, Proctor Valley, Otay Mountain & McCain Valley, not to mention to and from work. Might as well put it out to pasture...NOT! :D

• GIANTac1

Posted September 01, 2005 - 10:12 AM

This forum would be pretty dull Honda never made the 'L'. Good thing they did so we can keep bashing the BFP (Big Fat Pig)!

My poor XRL, it'll never be the same. All those rides in Mex, at Corral Canyon, Proctor Valley, Otay Mountain & McCain Valley, not to mention to and from work. Might as well put it out to pasture...NOT! :D

Proctor Valley and Corral Canyon are fun spots to ride. I am going to proctor valley/ H.street for my last So. cal ride tomorrow. I am going to miss the dust and hard pack....a little. :D

• Jayzonk

Posted September 01, 2005 - 10:45 AM

Jayzonk,

Okay, I've got the carrots. Hey LoserBikes, can you tell me how to stuff these carrots up my tailpipe? I figure, if anyone knows how to shove a carrot up a rear end, it's you! :D

• Jayzonk

Posted September 03, 2005 - 08:37 PM

Okay, do these mods REALLY make my L run better? There's been a couple of guys post who say that there is no improvement in performance after doing them. How do I make sure that there will be an improvement? I bet all I need to really do is get a good K&N filter, and leave the rest....no?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted September 04, 2005 - 04:56 AM

Point me to one guy who's done the mods that hasn't loved the improvement.

You won't get a lot more power, but the delivery is much improved.

D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • goblin127

Posted September 04, 2005 - 05:38 AM

The bike will breath and feed the way it should have from the start. And the larger jets are nesasary.

• Dual_Dog

Posted September 04, 2005 - 06:19 AM

Okay, do these mods REALLY make my L run better? There's been a couple of guys post who say that there is no improvement in performance after doing them. How do I make sure that there will be an improvement? I bet all I need to really do is get a good K&N filter, and leave the rest....no?

Right in the Honda FSM it states the carb is set (too) lean. :eek: How much can a single cylinder pollute? I guess more than we'd think. :D Just remember this is for "closed course competition." :D

Anyhow, here's the test.

Does your bike hesitate or bog at all throughout the rpm & throttle range, especially if you whack it wide open?
Does it pop or stall during decelleration?
Have you checked your spark plug to verify the combustion condition? This is more for correct jetting. White = lean, Black = rich.
Are you planning to do any intake or exhaust mods?

If you answered yes to any of these then the carb mods will provide major improvement in overall performance & driveability. I've done them. :eek: In fact, I just rejetted my '98 (again) which is also part of the "standard" mods, and the bike is running like a champ. :D It used to lean out (not good) around 85 mph. :eek: Yesterday I got it up to 95 mph on the road with DOT knobs and that was plenty fast enough. :D :D

I've finally got this BFP dialed in. For an uncorked L, and remember I said "L," this bike flat out rips! :D

• Jayzonk

Posted September 04, 2005 - 07:06 AM

Yes, it pops a bit on decel. It also bogs down, and occasionally stalls when I whack it open, but that's just during my warm up. Once it's warm, it seems pretty good. I'll go out and really push the throttle, then I'll get back to you. Can you get an HRC kit for it?

• oldturtle

Posted September 04, 2005 - 08:00 AM

Its all in the tires and the riding technique. Many times as I am pus-- footing through some muddy curves I have thrill of watching good riders come sliding around me wide open with both feet up on the pegs. I think best way to learn this is to go racing. You will see better riders doing things you never even thought of. After awhile if you have the balls and some ability you can be doing the same while I am still watching.

• Jayzonk

Posted September 04, 2005 - 08:12 AM

Yep, I'm a little cautious, but that's changing too. But the mud and the mess I leave is crazy! I could spend all afternoon washing this thing!

• BigBoreRacing

Posted September 08, 2005 - 08:01 PM

If mud's affecting you :banghead: ............you're too light on the throttle..........PIN IT! :applause:

• Jayzonk

Posted September 08, 2005 - 08:29 PM

Yep, this time I went through, and I just nutted on the gas. Rear wheel slid out, but I kept my feet on the pegs. I ran onto dry ground, so I was okay, but I think if it had've continued, I would have just slid myself right into the mud.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.