XR650L in the mud...

Jayzonk,

Don't listen to any of these guys.. Your bike will run better if you plug it up MORE that it is stock. Spraypaint your stock paper air filter with heavy chrome paint. Stuff carrots into the end of the muffler, and fill the airbox with dogfood. :D :D

And keep those stock tires too :D

Jayzonk,

Don't listen to any of these guys.. Your bike will run better if you plug it up MORE that it is stock. Spraypaint your stock paper air filter with heavy chrome paint. Stuff carrots into the end of the muffler, and fill the airbox with dogfood. :D :D

This forum would be pretty dull if Honda never made the 'L'. Good thing they did so we can keep bashing the BFP (Big Fat Pig)!

My poor XRL, it'll never be the same. All those rides in Mex, at Corral Canyon, Proctor Valley, Otay Mountain & McCain Valley, not to mention to and from work. Might as well put it out to pasture...NOT! :D

This forum would be pretty dull Honda never made the 'L'. Good thing they did so we can keep bashing the BFP (Big Fat Pig)!

My poor XRL, it'll never be the same. All those rides in Mex, at Corral Canyon, Proctor Valley, Otay Mountain & McCain Valley, not to mention to and from work. Might as well put it out to pasture...NOT! :D

Proctor Valley and Corral Canyon are fun spots to ride. I am going to proctor valley/ H.street for my last So. cal ride tomorrow. I am going to miss the dust and hard pack....a little. :D

Jayzonk,

Okay, I've got the carrots. Hey LoserBikes, can you tell me how to stuff these carrots up my tailpipe? I figure, if anyone knows how to shove a carrot up a rear end, it's you! :D

Okay, do these mods REALLY make my L run better? There's been a couple of guys post who say that there is no improvement in performance after doing them. How do I make sure that there will be an improvement? I bet all I need to really do is get a good K&N filter, and leave the rest....no?

Okay, do these mods REALLY make my L run better? There's been a couple of guys post who say that there is no improvement in performance after doing them. How do I make sure that there will be an improvement? I bet all I need to really do is get a good K&N filter, and leave the rest....no?

Right in the Honda FSM it states the carb is set (too) lean. :eek: How much can a single cylinder pollute? I guess more than we'd think. :D Just remember this is for "closed course competition." :D

Anyhow, here's the test.

Does your bike hesitate or bog at all throughout the rpm & throttle range, especially if you whack it wide open?

Does it pop or stall during decelleration?

Have you checked your spark plug to verify the combustion condition? This is more for correct jetting. White = lean, Black = rich.

Are you planning to do any intake or exhaust mods?

If you answered yes to any of these then the carb mods will provide major improvement in overall performance & driveability. I've done them. :eek: In fact, I just rejetted my '98 (again) which is also part of the "standard" mods, and the bike is running like a champ. :D It used to lean out (not good) around 85 mph. :eek: Yesterday I got it up to 95 mph on the road with DOT knobs and that was plenty fast enough. :D:D

I've finally got this BFP dialed in. For an uncorked L, and remember I said "L," this bike flat out rips! :D

Yes, it pops a bit on decel. It also bogs down, and occasionally stalls when I whack it open, but that's just during my warm up. Once it's warm, it seems pretty good. I'll go out and really push the throttle, then I'll get back to you. Can you get an HRC kit for it?

Its all in the tires and the riding technique. Many times as I am pus-- footing through some muddy curves I have thrill of watching good riders come sliding around me wide open with both feet up on the pegs. I think best way to learn this is to go racing. You will see better riders doing things you never even thought of. After awhile if you have the balls and some ability you can be doing the same while I am still watching.

Yep, this time I went through, and I just nutted on the gas. Rear wheel slid out, but I kept my feet on the pegs. I ran onto dry ground, so I was okay, but I think if it had've continued, I would have just slid myself right into the mud.