XR650L in the mud...

33 replies to this topic
  • Jayzonk

Posted August 29, 2005 - 07:29 PM

Guys,
I've never really had too much problem in the mud before today. The trail I ride on was a little muddier than usual, and the 650L was really sliding around a lot, which I haven't noticed on previous rides. I'm wondering what the issue is.
My first suspicion is that the L tires don't have enough tread to really grab in the mud, making for a real slippery ride, and no turning capability.
However, I don't think that's the end of the story. Since the mud patches were wider than usual, and seemed to "bend" around trail corners, I was trying to turn through them so I could stay on course, but was getting a lot of front wheel slippage in the process. Of course, if I was on a straight stretch, I'd just juice it, but since I was in a corner, I had to slow down to navigate around. Any advice on making turns in the mud, or navigating through slippery mud in general?
Thanks,
jason

• Max Power

Posted August 29, 2005 - 07:47 PM

I love mud....

Posted Image

What tires are you running?

• BWB63

Posted August 29, 2005 - 07:59 PM

MaxPower that's not MUD! That is a Lake. Your water skiing. :D

That is the kind of mud we get here for an hour or so after the once a year rain. Up in Norcal is mud.

• Dual_Dog

Posted August 29, 2005 - 08:03 PM

Tires. If you haven't upgraded to more aggressive DOT knobs yet, it's time. There's still very little traction available in muddy conditions so don't expect miracles even after switching tires. Loose front ends are a problem for big & heavy DS bikes and the L is no exception.

• Supplicate

Posted August 29, 2005 - 08:08 PM

was really sliding around a lot

I've never been on a bike that didn't slide around a lot in the mud.

edit: unless of course it was stuck/burried.

• J_Daniels

Posted August 29, 2005 - 08:49 PM

Lose the deathwings for an agressive soft terrain tire and you will be a lot happier. In addition, I always go waaay up on air pressure to like 20 lbs. Helps dig those knobs in.

• CAM2R

Posted August 29, 2005 - 08:54 PM

I've never been on a bike that didn't slide around a lot in the mud.

edit: unless of course it was stuck/burried.

Yup - no sliding around this trail...Posted Image
Kinda stopped it it's tracks rather abruptly....Posted Image

A DOT tire that is aggressive the Enduro Comp IV by Michelin - like an S-12 in a harder compound with the appropriate markings for the PO-liceman.

• J_Daniels

Posted August 29, 2005 - 09:08 PM

A DOT tire that is aggressive the Enduro Comp IV by Michelin - like an S-12 in a harder compound with the appropriate markings for the PO-liceman.

MY GAWD! That's a DOT? I gotta get me a set of those when I plate the Pig!

• Zeniac

Posted August 29, 2005 - 09:29 PM

I have been running Pirelli MT-21 130/90-18's that seem to work much better in the mud as long as you keep your speed up.

• ghoti

Posted August 30, 2005 - 04:53 AM

Change your tires! Get up on the front end, chin over the bars, inside foot up by the front tire, weigh the outside peg, steer with the throttle :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TimBrp

Posted August 30, 2005 - 06:39 AM

Another tire suggestions would be the Pirelli MT-83 scorpion. Very aggressive tire and DOT approved. For the rear try a trakmaster II, they're DOT approved and grip pretty well.

• frankstr

Posted August 30, 2005 - 06:56 AM

I'm happy with Dunlops 756 front and rear they stick with about 12 psi... :D
But there not dot approved, but then I don't ride my BRP on pavement... :D

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 30, 2005 - 08:47 AM

Jayzonk, you're on the deathwings, AND you haven't done the mods?

I think I'm gonna faint...

D

• ghoti

Posted August 30, 2005 - 12:22 PM

Jeeze, don't ask him for his credentials :D

• wr450fyamaha

Posted August 30, 2005 - 06:27 PM

MY GAWD! That's a DOT? I gotta get me a set of those when I plate the Pig!

dont expect it to last long on the street

i even have problems with a motox front tire.....its a little on the bald side tho (50% worn)

• Jayzonk

Posted August 30, 2005 - 08:39 PM

Yup, they're the stock Dunlop K850A tires.
And nope, I haven't done any mods either. If I uncork it, is this thing still going to run trouble-free?
Okay, I know we have a summary of this, but let me see if I've got step one:
1. Uncork it by taking out the restrictor in the airbox and the one in the intake manifold. The one if the airbox comes out by hand, but the one in the intake manifold has to be cut out, right? And there's no HRC power-up manifold for the L, right? Seems kind of senseless to make one of those....
But hey, it seems kind of silly to really power this thing up. I'm optimistic that Honda is going to have a new dirt bike that's going to be so much better than the L for offroading that I'll just keep the L for zippin' off to work....

If I do it, though, I want to get a White Bros. pipe that won't burn the fender. Can you get a heavier can that might absorb the heat more? Would the titanium one be better?? What pipe would do that? Why do I care? :D

• Supplicate

Posted August 30, 2005 - 09:26 PM

Why do I care? :D

you care because you've caught the bug. :D

edit: and for needing a can that will cool off faster/run cooler/blah blah

http://www.hpcoatings.com

• GIANTac1

Posted August 30, 2005 - 11:05 PM

Hey Bro,
Do it! Dont do it! "Fudge" it man, uncork it! Burnt fender, big Funking deal!
How bad is 200/350 loonies gonna set you back? Live and learn! Go for it! Take your skirt off and ride naked! :D

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 31, 2005 - 08:32 AM

Jayzonk, the dave mods (really the dave-and-brian-mods, but who am I to argue with fame?) make the manners and power delivery much better.

D

• LotsOfBikes

Posted August 31, 2005 - 11:17 PM

Jayzonk,
Don't listen to any of these guys.. Your bike will run better if you plug it up MORE that it is stock. Spraypaint your stock paper air filter with heavy chrome paint. Stuff carrots into the end of the muffler, and fill the airbox with dogfood. :D :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.