Are the 650L's that bad????

33 replies to this topic
  • captb

Posted August 30, 2005 - 09:08 AM

For is "older guys" that remember when - 10-12" inches of travel was not even conceivable and a 300 lb bike was acceptable. The 650L is a marvel and would of been thought of as a trick factory works bike (about 30 years ago). As it has been so accurately stated I am sure many times before, depending on the riding that you do = the bike you need...

my 05, 650L is way fun feels light off road, is zippy on trails and has a ton of power and low end grunt. Mishandled it and it WILL mishandle you (as stated before) It is hard to get used to the very tall feel off road in the woods. On the road it is a blast and has power everywhere and effortlessly crusies at 60MPH. Handling is nimble and better than expected for a BIG DS, weight seems not a factor at all on the road. For what it is intended for it is the perfect DS bike IMHO. Proven reliability and engine design makes it a bulletproof ride. The water cooled DR is a nice bike but I have heard that on the road it is buzzy..hard to make up for the extra 250cc that the 650L possess.

When I ride my old 1974 XL350 it is way fun and has good power for an old vintage DS, handling is poor off road and the suspension is horrible with 6" in the front and 2-3" in the rear. We have come a long ways technologically. I admire my 650L, hell I love it! yet ya know there are similarities between the old Honda XL's of yesteryear and the 650L, engine design (SOHC 4-valve head)- anti back pop back valve the carb etc..why mess with a good thing and the 650L since it's inception has sold like aspirins at income tax time. Nuff said.

:D Hey your XL350 was like a works bike compared to the CL350 I rode off road, the trails got wider on each pass just from me fishtailing, and with those state of the art trials tires you didn't follow the trail you made new ones.

• Motosprtman

Posted August 30, 2005 - 12:14 PM

yup I remember the Honda "Scramblers" well and the XL's were way better off road, although not as comfy on road. Now we are indeed "spoiled" with the bikes nowdays, suspension, power and reliability (two words that never used to go together) I think the 650L is awesome, however I also admire and would like ot have some of the new high zoot rides like a CRF450X, just to be easier on the old bones in the woods...

• vfourmax

Posted August 30, 2005 - 04:35 PM

I am a new member, been lurking in the shadows for quite a while, picked up alot of good info off the site. One thing I have noticed when people have asked about the "L" is that one of the strongest attributes is never mentioned. How many other Enduro or dirtbikes have a run that has already lasted for 13 years virtually unchanged, making parts availibility both OEM and aftermarket so readily abundant. In my mind, this is just one of the great things that the 650L has going for it. You can own a 12 yr old bike, and still go to Honda and buy every part that you need.... try that with any of the others. Yes, it may not be the greatest offroad, but by far, it's not the worst, and it does the job that Honda designed it for. So, overall, the "L" is not a bad choice. It's not a racer, but it was never meant to be.

Bill

• wr450fyamaha

Posted August 30, 2005 - 06:22 PM

ok, stock the xr650l is a piece of shit!!!!!!!!!!!! get over it!!!!!!!!!! with about 1500 in upgrades its perfectly fine. stock it comes with a muffeler bigger than the one on my car! it looks gay! and the engine needs a few power ups.....and new tank....here, look at my bike and thats about everything u will need/want http://www.thumperta...ehicle&vid=2215

a stock xr650l is like i lion that has 200 pound lead weights on its feet

• wr450fyamaha

Posted August 30, 2005 - 06:23 PM

I am a new member, been lurking in the shadows for quite a while, picked up alot of good info off the site. One thing I have noticed when people have asked about the "L" is that one of the strongest attributes is never mentioned. How many other Enduro or dirtbikes have a run that has already lasted for 13 years virtually unchanged, making parts availibility both OEM and aftermarket so readily abundant. In my mind, this is just one of the great things that the 650L has going for it. You can own a 12 yr old bike, and still go to Honda and buy every part that you need.... try that with any of the others. Yes, it may not be the greatest offroad, but by far, it's not the worst, and it does the job that Honda designed it for. So, overall, the "L" is not a bad choice. It's not a racer, but it was never meant to be.

Bill

very well spoken

• Steve Pace

Posted August 30, 2005 - 07:50 PM

Hye I just bought one too I think if your a big rider it's a great bike I'm 6'3 205 and have no problems. with the right mods It has worked great in the mountains.

• GIANTac1

Posted August 30, 2005 - 11:07 PM

Yes, a 650L is the worst bike you can get! They suck! :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BrettJ

Posted August 31, 2005 - 04:44 AM

Wouldn't go that far but they are nothing compared to a xr650r

• Motosprtman

Posted August 31, 2005 - 05:07 AM

and that says it all.

• Motosprtman

Posted August 31, 2005 - 05:18 AM

everyone has an opinion and likes / dislikes / expectations for a bike. The 650L works for me perfectly for the riding I do. Yes it can be "uncorked" and heavily modified and if that is your thing then go for it. Or you can ride a 650R or like bike, the are so many good rides now all with attractive technological advances to fit the individual rider and or use of the bike, everything from KTM's to the highly sucessful japanese bike line up of Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha. Truly for the off road or on /off road biker of today the choices are numerous. Far better than the days when the only good bikes were the european ones, Husky etc..the the Honda Elsinore came along in 1973 and changed the entire motocross world by making a bike that not only handled good but had great power and reliability. Then came the Yamaha DT's, Honda XL's, Suzuki TS's etc.

The Honda XR650L is not the perfect bike for all venues of riding, it was never meant to be, but it is probably the best dual sport bike ever made.

• khelton

Posted August 31, 2005 - 01:36 PM

It's a very dependable plonker, Sports Fans...but a plonker. Great for low speeds, ride all day, nothing fast, nothng difficult, riding. Great dependable fun if that is what you do. It will never leave you stranded.

• Motosprtman

Posted September 01, 2005 - 06:12 AM

It's a very dependable plonker, Sports Fans...but a plonker. Great for low speeds, ride all day, nothing fast, nothng difficult, riding. Great dependable fun if that is what you do. It will never leave you stranded.

Nuff said.

• oldturtle

Posted September 01, 2005 - 06:47 AM

How many other Enduro or dirtbikes have a run that has already lasted for 13 years virtually unchanged, making parts availibility both OEM and aftermarket so readily abundant.

Kawi KLR650, Honda XR600, Kawi KLR250. I agree that not changing um every few years sure is nice in many respects. It helps keep your bike from being instantly obsolete. It just gradualy morphs into a great bike for a slightly different riding situation.
The risk is that many 650L owners decide they really prefer riding in more challenging situations and then make mistake of trying to convert the L into a bike to keep up with an XR650R or XR400. This is big mistake. Sell the L while it is still a valuable stock bike and buy what you need.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted September 01, 2005 - 08:36 AM

Great for low speeds, ride all day, nothing fast, nothng difficult, riding. Great dependable fun if that is what you do.

Bull. B pace is easy, the harder the terrain the more the fun.
Its a slightly-heavier XR600R. Not as much power as an XR600R, but its got a dead-flat torque curve that makes everything almost easy.

D

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.