Are the 650L's that bad????

33 replies to this topic
  • thumpraptor

Posted August 29, 2005 - 07:24 PM

I am looking at getting a 650L, I like the already street legal everything the electric start etc.

My question is, I hear so much about they are not good trail bikes, blah, blah, I am a experienced rider, I ride pretty hard, I don't jump or nothing, but I love to climb hills, and hit the single track trails pretty good. Are you guys saying that with a set of good dirt tires this bike will not do well. I'm strong so the weight doesn't bother me, I know the suspension is probably a little squishy, but they have a ton of upgrades for this bike right? I mean, to make it faster and more trail worthy?? Thanks

• BWB63

Posted August 29, 2005 - 07:50 PM

Where in California do you live?

To answer your question........

Ok, I won't go there but, it would be great if you could test a DRZ400 and the XR650L and think about finding a plated used XR650R. I have seen this kind of thread get real ugly but, the facts are that a DRZ400s (and it's easy to make it a DRZ400e) will do everything a XR650L will till you upgrade the XR650L.
There are a lot of guys that have the XR650L and are real happy with it. If they would have bought a DRZ400 they would be real happy with it. They bought the bike and it's theres! They are riding, they are happy! You will be happy too, I am sure.

The never ending THREAD:
http://www.thumperta...31&parentpage=7

• flynn

Posted August 29, 2005 - 07:51 PM

dont buy that bike. underpowerd, way to heavy, and not a good bike. if your lookin for a good bike that suites your style of riding the ktm525exc is a very good bike.

• Max Power

Posted August 29, 2005 - 07:52 PM

Have you tried a DR Z 400S?

• Max Power

Posted August 29, 2005 - 07:54 PM

Where in California do you live?

To answer your question........

Ok, I won't go there but, it would be great if you could test a DRZ400 and the XR650L and think about finding a plated used XR650R. I have seen this kind of thread get real ugly but, the facts are that a DRZ400s (and it's easy to make it a DRZ400e) will do everything a XR650L will till you upgrade the XR650L.
There are a lot of guys that have the XR650L and are real happy with it. If they would have bought a DRZ400 they would be real happy with it. They bought the bike and it's theres! They are riding, they are happy! You will be happy too, I am sure.

The never ending THREAD:
http://www.thumperta...31&parentpage=7

Beat me to it.

• rokklym

Posted August 29, 2005 - 07:57 PM

Dual Sport News magazine just did a 2 part test of the XRL and they raved about it. I have a 2002 and put almost 6000 miles on it this year so far. The only thing I have a problem with is sand. Its a big bike to be riding tigh singletrack with but you can do it.
The motors are tough and simple and can make quite a bit of power.

http://rokklym.smugmug.com/Motorcycles

• captb

Posted August 29, 2005 - 08:03 PM

As you can see the XR forum is the best even the Suzuki, KTM and Husky guys spend most of their time here.

• Supplicate

Posted August 29, 2005 - 08:06 PM

Dual Sport News magazine just did a 2 part test of the XRL and they raved about it.

Proves one of the points that has been made endlessly.

For what it is built for, it is one of the betters.

• Max Power

Posted August 29, 2005 - 08:16 PM

As you can see the XR forum is the best even the Suzuki, KTM and Husky guys spend most of their time here.

Hey.....

Posted Image

My dad said his 01 650L was getting too heavy for him but he didn't want to give up e-start or power.

It was simple for me. DRZ 400S. 29lbs lighter and more power.

Out with the old.

Posted Image

In with the new.

Posted Image

He couldn't be happier.

• Dual_Dog

Posted August 29, 2005 - 08:18 PM

Do you want an street legal machine that's capable of being ridden off-road? Or do you want a dirt bike with a license plate? The L is not a dirt bike but it can be ridden off-road with a few "minor" modifications. It'll just beat the crap out of you in the process. 350 lbs.+ is a tough obstacle to overcome...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Zeniac

Posted August 29, 2005 - 09:39 PM

The L is not a dirt bike but it can be ridden off-road with a few "minor" modifications. It'll just beat the crap out of you in the process. 350 lbs. plus is a tough obstacle to overcome...

I agree, Dave and Brian's carb mods, smog block-off kit, 14 tooth front spocket and decent tires make a big difference, but it is still a heavy bike that can beat you badly off road, however, it is a true dual sport and can be run at 65-70mph on-road, with a pretty comfy stock seat. Another advantage of the BRP is that maintenance is easy and the bike is basically bulletproof. If your budget is tight there are lots of XR650Ls in excellent shape available for around the 2K price range.

• captb

Posted August 29, 2005 - 09:48 PM

Hey.....

Posted Image

My dad said his 01 650L was getting too heavy for him but he didn't want to give up e-start or power.

It was simple for me. DRZ 400S. 29lbs lighter and more power.

Out with the old.

Posted Image

In with the new.

Posted Image

He couldn't be happier.

Can you send me some snow, it's 112 deg here. I had a 650L for 3 years it beat me up in the tough stuff, I was used to XR600Rs since 1986, I don't have many choices, I ride a 100 miles of freeway each way to ride up where it's cooler this time of year, the 650R is the best yet for that haul 80 mph at 1/3 throttle geared up cool running and still has passing power. My aircooled Rs and L weren't real happy pushing past 65 mph, they never broke but gave off enough heat to worry me.

• thumpraptor

Posted August 29, 2005 - 09:50 PM

I know this has been beaten up and down guys, thanks for your patience, I did search and see alot of other threads, just wanted to see any new opinions. the thing is, I will be taking over payments, and sliding into this bike, so it's kind of this bike or nothing. I really don't mind the wieght, I'm used to riding heavy bikes. I just wanted to make sure, there's some good aftermarket, and such. to make it a little better. Thanks for the patience, and opinions. I know this isn't the best bike, but it will get me out there with my other two wheel buddies, and that fact that it is already street legal, don't have to, worry about that. The used 650r's, are still a ton of money, I saw a 00 for five grand still, and didn't have much on it.

• Max Power

Posted August 29, 2005 - 09:58 PM

I know this has been beaten up and down guys, thanks for your patience, I did search and see alot of other threads, just wanted to see any new opinions. the thing is, I will be taking over payments, and sliding into this bike, so it's kind of this bike or nothing. I really don't mind the wieght, I'm used to riding heavy bikes. I just wanted to make sure, there's some good aftermarket, and such. to make it a little better. Thanks for the patience, and opinions. I know this isn't the best bike, but it will get me out there with my other two wheel buddies, and that fact that it is already street legal, don't have to, worry about that. The used 650r's, are still a ton of money, I saw a 00 for five grand still, and didn't have much on it.

Ride it like you stole it. :D

• MrShred

Posted August 29, 2005 - 10:12 PM

Go for it! You will have big thumping fun, and if you are a large guy like me (220) you just might be amazed at what it is capable of. No, it's not a race bike, and if you try to manhandle it it might manhandle you. With a little finesse and a few mods though you can go places that you wouldn't expect a mainstream, 350 lb Japanese bike will take you. Happy Trails!!

• captb

Posted August 29, 2005 - 10:14 PM

If the deal is right, do it, I think I'm a better rider now after getting used to a little extra weight riding my 650L 3 years in some narly terrain out here. Watch out for steep rocky mountains that look a easy climb, they will climb untill all traction is gone, but sliding down backwards with both brakes locked isn't much fun, that's where I really noticed a weight difference early on.

• ghoti

Posted August 30, 2005 - 04:48 AM

Welcome Thumpraptor. I have put 12,000 on my 04 without a glitch. If you want a dirt bike buy one, if you want a street bike buy one of those, if you want to have fun, buy the L. It will go anywhere you want it to. It may not be fast or graceful, but it is capable. Good aftermarket, it shares many XR600R parts.

P.S.
Make sure you put on your thick skin coveralls before you come in here :D

• Motosprtman

Posted August 30, 2005 - 05:46 AM

For is "older guys" that remember when - 10-12" inches of travel was not even conceivable and a 300 lb bike was acceptable. The 650L is a marvel and would of been thought of as a trick factory works bike (about 30 years ago). As it has been so accurately stated I am sure many times before, depending on the riding that you do = the bike you need...

my 05, 650L is way fun feels light off road, is zippy on trails and has a ton of power and low end grunt. Mishandled it and it WILL mishandle you (as stated before) It is hard to get used to the very tall feel off road in the woods. On the road it is a blast and has power everywhere and effortlessly crusies at 60MPH. Handling is nimble and better than expected for a BIG DS, weight seems not a factor at all on the road. For what it is intended for it is the perfect DS bike IMHO. Proven reliability and engine design makes it a bulletproof ride. The water cooled DR is a nice bike but I have heard that on the road it is buzzy..hard to make up for the extra 250cc that the 650L possess.

When I ride my old 1974 XL350 it is way fun and has good power for an old vintage DS, handling is poor off road and the suspension is horrible with 6" in the front and 2-3" in the rear. We have come a long ways technologically. I admire my 650L, hell I love it! yet ya know there are similarities between the old Honda XL's of yesteryear and the 650L, engine design (SOHC 4-valve head)- anti back pop back valve the carb etc..why mess with a good thing and the 650L since it's inception has sold like aspirins at income tax time. Nuff said.

• roadcam

Posted August 30, 2005 - 07:09 AM

remember, the man's asking about the 'dual-sport' XR650L ... I love Suzukis, but a jaunt down the highway on a DRZ400 will have him wishing he'd gone for the XR650L ... the 400 has the edge offroad, but forget the long paved sections ... :D

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 30, 2005 - 08:45 AM

Weight is always the enemy, but despite that, the L will...go...ANYWHERE!

If you're pretty good and a little sick, it'll even go pretty quick.

I've done some rocky new-england hillclimbs on it that would challenge any bike, and had a blast riding mine in a trail-trials event.

Its nickname is the All-Terrain Assault Vehicle.

You just have to remember its dang heavy before you try something on it.

I would say (and remember, I'm the only one that'll tell you the unbiased truth :D ) you need to ride a few different makes before you make a decision on what's right for you.

-D

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.