Stiffening subframe

16 replies to this topic
  • Barro

Posted August 29, 2005 - 02:13 PM

When an XR650R rear subframe breaks :D , WHERE DOES IT BREAK?

I want to stiffen the reportedly weak subframe and want to know what areas to pay attention to :D .

Eduardo
’03 XR650R

• J_Daniels

Posted August 29, 2005 - 03:03 PM

My sub was bent when the original owner picked it up from the dealer; it took him a long time to notice and by then it was out of warranty. I guess it's very common. He used a long 2X4 thru it as a prybar, and it cracked slightly at the left upper mount. I haven't gotten around to welding it up yet, but I will be adding gussets to the upper and lower mountings to spread the load a bit.

• Barro

Posted August 29, 2005 - 07:14 PM

Mine came with the "factory bend" option as well and I made it worse after and endo with a twist and a bad landing (the whole rear twisted 1.5" to the left) a calibrated 2X4 and some :D fixed it.

Now I hear that the frame has been known to crack at some points and I want to stiffen it while I have out. (welding some aluminum along bad spots.

Eduardo.

• x400r

Posted August 30, 2005 - 04:43 AM

go to srcinc.net

• irondude

Posted August 30, 2005 - 08:20 AM

I gussetted mine where the rails met...then i added an extra cross-member.

Its stiff!

Cost me $20 at Welding Works in Orange, Ca.---he does the same for factory desert bikes...

• Barro

Posted August 30, 2005 - 08:23 PM

I gussetted mine where the rails met...then i added an extra cross-member.

Its stiff!

Cost me $20 at Welding Works in Orange, Ca.---he does the same for factory desert bikes...

:D

Where did you put the cross member? Maybe behind the bracket that has the seat mounting threaded holes?

Eduardo
XR650R

• Fingers

Posted August 30, 2005 - 09:06 PM

The SRC kit strengthens the rear fender but adds additional leverage to the subframe which will increase the likelyhood of its eventual breakage, especially if you add a rack/panniers. The DK version of the XR-650R has a fender brace somewhat similar to the SRC unit stock (used to support the taillight/turn signals). It likely can be special ordered and is a good fit and well made. Like the SRC unit it does not add extra support to the subframe itself. Gusseting the stock unit is the only solution for a stronger subframe that I can think of. I am running dirtbagz and a rear cargo bag with BD passenger footpegs, all mounted to the subframe. For street use it has proven strong enough but I would hesitate to go anywhere rough with a passenger or cargo loaded until I eventually mod the subframe to make it stronger.

• irondude

Posted August 30, 2005 - 09:30 PM

I have both the strengthened sub-frame AND the SRC.net subframe extender, with Baja Designs LED license plate holder--AND a custom bracket on top of the fender for my GPS antennae, dual running lights, Sentinal bracket, etc.

Works great!

I put the extra sub-frame cross member right next the the existing one--shaving a bit so it cleared everything.

I can pick up the bike by the rear fender now without issues.

I've tried other set ups--but for me they just couldnt take it. Either the license plate/brake light loosened up, or broke, or the sub-frame would bend.

The SRC.net set up is very sano/beefy. That and a gusseted sub-frame is a nice way to go. Add in the BD LED brake light and things are good. The SRC unit has little holes for mini-turn signals that are also nice.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fingers

Posted August 30, 2005 - 10:22 PM

Irondude, did you do anything to strengthen the mounting locations for the subframe? That seems like it is the area of most concern.

• olinmat

Posted December 10, 2005 - 02:31 AM

Please post pictures of your subframe solutions. Thanks.

• bork

Posted December 10, 2005 - 06:36 AM

Is this for xr650 s only or as well a problem for xr600r ?

• AzMtnThumper

Posted December 13, 2005 - 05:14 PM

Any pics....fellas? Irondude can we see that rear shot of your 650R again??

• HawkGT

Posted December 15, 2005 - 11:56 AM

we need pics, please

• bork

Posted December 15, 2005 - 05:57 PM

Is this for xr650 s only or as well a problem for xr600r ?

Well ??? does the xr 600r have a week spot for cracking too ?

• AzMtnThumper

Posted December 15, 2005 - 09:57 PM

Well ??? does the xr 600r have a week spot for cracking too ?

I've heard of a few guys having problems around the steering stem area but I never had any with my 600. I'm not much of a jumper.

• bork

Posted December 16, 2005 - 07:15 AM

I'm 300lbs ish & I'll keep my eye on sterring head. Thanks !!!

• chicago650r

Posted August 21, 2007 - 06:59 PM

Hi. I am wanting to stiffen my subframe to be able to mount panniers and less

importantly carry a passenger. I would like to know what type of welding rod

to use for tig welding. I have 4043 and 5356 filler rod. Any suggestions? MM

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.