NEW ODOMETER/TRIP METER for '05 WR450

35 replies to this topic
  • rich128

Posted August 29, 2005 - 01:11 PM

Hey guys,

I was just looking at some pics of the '06 WR450. It has a cool :D new DIGITAL odometer! I have an '05 bike (which I love BTW :D ) but I really dis-like the old analog style trip meter on it. It kinda sucks to reset it....it's so sloooooooow. :D

Does anyone know if the new '06 Trip will work on the '05 bike with out much modification? I do some Dual-sport rides where they use roll charts and you are constantly re-setting the OD and as I said on the analog model it takes to long.....

Thanx

• pkcof

Posted August 29, 2005 - 03:14 PM

Yeah, i also just got my 05 WR450F and happened to notice the 06 instrumentation. It sure looks trick and has plenty of options. I asked the Yamaha dealer here in Australia and he said that they won't have the price list until October/November on that part but he did say that it should be an easy mod albeit a slightly expensive one !!

• cardiffdrz

Posted August 29, 2005 - 03:39 PM

Where do you guys see the pics of the 06 model? I am thinking of changing my beloved DRZ and i think it may be the wrf450 that gets the :D

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted August 29, 2005 - 04:16 PM

Go to www.yamahausa.com Then go to competion dirt bikes and there are the pictures of this new overpriced units.
The answer to slow resetting is: Go to your Yamaha dealer and order a knob for a TTR 250. It is about three times the size of the WR knob and goes right on the shaft. DON'T LOSE THAT CANARDLEY SCREW! :D
Jim

• Bamster

Posted August 29, 2005 - 04:22 PM

Is it as nice as the one on the KTM's ?

• rich128

Posted August 30, 2005 - 03:18 AM

Guys,
I'm going to TRY to paste a link here to a pic of the new ODO. I'm not sure if it will work or not. If not, I guess you should be able to paste it in your browser and go to it. good luck....and thanks for the replies so far.

Bamster, I don't know about comparing it to the KTM's. I haven't paid that much attention to them.

Here's a shot at the link:

http://www.yamaha-mo.../4/0/image.aspx

• rich128

Posted August 30, 2005 - 03:23 AM

Where do you guys see the pics of the 06 model? I am thinking of changing my beloved DRZ and i think it may be the wrf450 that gets the :D

Try out this link! I don't know about the '06 but I LOVE my '05. What a schweeeet ride! :D :D That is, after you do the "free mods"

http://www.yamaha-mo.../5/0/image.aspx

and another:

http://www.yamaha-mo.../1/0/image.aspx

• simon@vic

Posted August 30, 2005 - 07:25 AM

it may be digital, but it is still cable driven..............

• 5valve

Posted August 30, 2005 - 12:12 PM

analog rotating cable?
probably electric one, like on other brands with digital speedo

• ddialogue

Posted August 30, 2005 - 02:54 PM

It sure looks that way from the photos but the wire doesn't look as large as the previous years' cable though. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 31, 2005 - 12:53 PM

Nope.... It's not cable driven.. It might look like a cable but it's not. There's a pick up attached to the hub and there's a wire that goes to the computer. The cable that you see in photographs is a sensor wire protected by a thick jacket, it looks bulky but it's soft and light unlike a cable driven odometer system. The right side fork protector is real nice with the protector protecting the wire. They did a great job on the odometer. I looked at the new bikes at my local dealer today. I also saw the new KTMs, Wow.... They're real nice!!! They did a nice job for 06...

• clark4131

Posted August 31, 2005 - 01:02 PM

Hey Dan, how hard does it look to retrofit to the '05's and others? You didn't happen to get some part numbers and prices for the thing did ya'...AC

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 31, 2005 - 01:10 PM

Hey Steve, It looks easy amigo... You'd need the pickup that attaches to the hub (it looks like the hub pickup and wire are all one piece) and you'll need the computer and mount.. As long as the hubs haven't changed for 06 I would say it would be fairly simple. If the hubs are new it would really be expensive to adapt the new computer...

I've been bugging my friend at the shop to get me pricing and availability for the parts.. He has nothing yet..

• rich128

Posted August 31, 2005 - 01:22 PM

Dan,

Thanks for the info buddy! If you find out more please let me know. I am very interested in doing this mod.
It has to work much like a odometer on a mountain bike I would think. I have mounted several of these and they work very well.

Thanks again!

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 31, 2005 - 01:24 PM

:D

• clark4131

Posted August 31, 2005 - 02:43 PM

I've been bugging my friend at the shop to get me pricing and availability for the parts.. He has nothing yet..

I have found bribes often work. Try offering him a night with a nice 20-something who is, shall we say, open to suggestions. You don't have to actually pay up, just offer :D :D ...SC

• simon@vic

Posted August 31, 2005 - 04:59 PM

is the 05 computer wired to the harness and have full time light?

• storm 800

Posted September 04, 2005 - 07:22 PM

Did anyone figure out how to get one of these yet?

• Toby_S

Posted February 11, 2006 - 08:02 AM

I got one. I just have to wire it. I'm looking for advice on the power wiring. It has black, brown and red/white. It looks like it will fit the hub no problem. routing the cable will be interesting. I've got an '02.

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted June 12, 2006 - 01:26 PM

I got one. I just have to wire it. I'm looking for advice on the power wiring. It has black, brown and red/white. It looks like it will fit the hub no problem. routing the cable will be interesting. I've got an '02.

Did you get this installed onto your earlier bike?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.