Indy 450 and Maxxis tires

30 replies to this topic
  • 450 Hurricane

Posted August 29, 2005 - 08:18 AM

Indy:

You responded to a thread on June 28th, 2005 titled "Speaking of tires" where you said you use Maxxis SI on both front and rear.

I was curious if you have an opinion on the Maxxis IT, or why you don't use them (terrain, etc). I am considering them and would appreciate your thoughts.

I am posting this publically since I think others may benefit from your response.

Thanks.

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 29, 2005 - 09:22 AM

The new Maxxis SI front is the best front tire I have ever run period! :D Works well in every condition! The new rear has incredible traction but wears to nothing (no knobs in the center) in 4 weekends! :eek: The Michelin S12 will last longer but not grip as well in the rocks. I dont like the Maxxis IT models. :D The guys out west love the ITs. :D

• 450 Hurricane

Posted August 29, 2005 - 09:48 AM

Thanks.

Is it that you don't like the IT's for the same reasons the guys out west do like them--terrain you ride on. They seem to like them, and guess its due to the terrain in their geographic location.

So I guess you like the SI's because they work better in the terrain you normally ride in, but I've noticed you also ride in other states that may have some of the same terrrain as the guys that seem to like the IT's. Does that mean in the same terrain as the guys out west who prefer the IT's, you would still choose the SI?

Thanks again!

• 450 Hurricane

Posted August 29, 2005 - 11:21 AM

By the way, I noticed your reply on a September 24, 2004 thread called "Maxxis disguised Chen Shin" where you said you were sticking with Michelins since you get what you pay for.

Based on your analytical approach to jetting, I suspect you had good reasons to begin favoring Maxxis, so I am wondering what changed your mind since then and just out of curiosity, what Michelins were you running back then on both the front and rear?

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 29, 2005 - 12:23 PM

If you check the date on that post you will note that it was before the Maxxis SI came out. They were introduced this spring!
I currently run the following tires (on 4 sets of wheels that I have for my 2 dirt bikes) since I go through so many:

Michelin Desert front
Maxxis SI front
Michelin S12 front
Pirelli MT18 front

Bridgestone M402 - 110 rear
Maxxis SI - 120 rear
Michelin S12 - 140/80 rear
Teraflex 140/80 rear ( no longer manufactured in the US :D :D :D )

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted August 29, 2005 - 02:56 PM

I have a U.S. made 140/80 with about 5 rides on it if anyone wants it. It is worn much worse than I would suspect a tire with 5 rides should be. It is the absolute worst tire I have run. The single biggest dissapointment I have put on my bike. Last weekend I ran a Maxxis IT front with an IRC M5B rear and WOW, that was so awesome. I have never had so much confindence in a front tire, and the handleing/steering was so much better without that huge Terra Flex on the back. For what its worth, my buddy got a new terraflex, china made, and I have never seen a tire chunk like that. It is unbelievable. There must be a trail of rubber chunks everywhere we rode saturday. what a piece of :D :D

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 29, 2005 - 03:27 PM

I have a U.S. made 140/80 with about 5 rides on it if anyone wants it. It is worn much worse than I would suspect a tire with 5 rides should be. It is the absolute worst tire I have run. The single biggest dissapointment I have put on my bike. Last weekend I ran a Maxxis IT front with an IRC M5B rear and WOW, that was so awesome. I have never had so much confindence in a front tire, and the handleing/steering was so much better without that huge Terra Flex on the back. For what its worth, my buddy got a new terraflex, china made, and I have never seen a tire chunk like that. It is unbelievable. There must be a trail of rubber chunks everywhere we rode saturday. what a piece of :D :D

The old US TeraFlex lasted very well and did cut up but did not chunk like the new Cheng Shin version! My riding buddies out west bought some on my recommendation and they were destroyed in just a few rides! :eek: :eek:

I would like to try the IRC 5MB as a replacement. Are you running the 140 size rear? :D

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted August 29, 2005 - 08:30 PM

No, we are running the 130/80. They have worked out very well for us. Lots of guys said they would chunk out and not last, but we have found just the opposite. I really like the combination of traction and handleing with the M5B, although there are still some others I would like to try for myself. At least now I know for myself that the Terra Flex, although a great tire, is just not for me. :D

• SPDFRK450

Posted August 29, 2005 - 08:41 PM

Indy in your opinion do you like the Maxxis SI, or the MT 18 for a front tire. I only ask because you happen to have both. Thanks

• simon@vic

Posted August 29, 2005 - 08:59 PM

where ride, the IT is the best choice for the rear. the front is rider preference.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted August 30, 2005 - 04:06 AM

Indy in your opinion do you like the Maxxis SI, or the MT 18 for a front tire. I only ask because you happen to have both. Thanks

For Indiana it is a no Brainer - Maxxis SI front and you will be very happy!

The Pirelli MT18 front works well in rocks, hard pack, loose soil and sand but its weakness is mud but it does OK. This tire lasts well without chunking or cutting up.

The Maxxis SI front is awesome in all conditions. It does start to chunk and crack in rocks after a few hundred miles but it does continue to grip and work for about 500 miles if you use it in rocks only. Sharp rocks will wear out this tire quickly but the grip is worth it if you need an all around tire to do washes and rocky trails.

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 30, 2005 - 04:11 AM

No, we are running the 130/80. They have worked out very well for us. Lots of guys said they would chunk out and not last, but we have found just the opposite. I really like the combination of traction and handleing with the M5B, although there are still some others I would like to try for myself. At least now I know for myself that the Terra Flex, although a great tire, is just not for me. :D

How is the IRC M5B 130 sized? does it just clear the swing arm like the TeraFlex? :D
Is there room for the bigger 140 tire? :D
I like the bigger tire in rocky terrain and run about 8 psi with HD tubes. You cant do that with a 120 which handles better so I use them on normal riding conditions.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted August 30, 2005 - 06:05 AM

There is tons of room left with the 130, it is no where near as big as the TFlex(140). I would probably stay with the TFlex for mainly rocky terrain. That happens to be one place I thought it shined. It still didnt wear real well, but it does grip like a mother in the big flat rock stuff.

• SPDFRK450

Posted August 30, 2005 - 06:55 AM

Thanks for the input on the Maxxis. Indy your like the Wiseman on this forum. Where are you an engineer at?

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted August 30, 2005 - 08:51 AM

He's not a wiseman or an engineer........he's Fiddy Cent. (gangster rapper & off road rider)
Respect his authoritaahhh. :D :D :D

• SPDFRK450

Posted August 30, 2005 - 09:05 AM

I dont think its respecting his authoritaahhh by calling him a half wit rapper like fiddy cent. Indy is probably the most knowledgeable guy on here. His advice is always cut and dry to the point.

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 30, 2005 - 10:33 AM

Jesse (Digital Soldier) my buddy calls me fiddy cents! :D He is not dishing me. :D
I design packaging machinery for food and beverage industry so I can ride every weekend. :D :eek: :eek:

• jwriott

Posted August 30, 2005 - 11:08 AM

I think the Maxxis IT rear is a fantastic, long lasting tire. On the front, I think it rivals the Dunlop 739 and will never buy one again because it skates all over the place.

The Maxxis SI is going to be the next tire I try up front.

• ncmountainman

Posted August 30, 2005 - 01:35 PM

Thanks for the input on the Maxxis. Indy your like the Wiseman on this forum. Where are you an engineer at?

i'm the new technology pioneer,dan just copies me and steals my limelight:busted: :D :D

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 30, 2005 - 02:28 PM

i'm the new technology pioneer,dan just copies me and steals my limelight:busted: :D :D

:D :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D :p :D :eek: :D :D :D :D :D :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.