Bike stalling/hydraulic lock...

14 replies to this topic
  • flatnacker

Posted August 28, 2005 - 05:06 PM

Hi guys I need some help.

On the weekend when attacking hill climbs my bike kept freaking stalling :D What made it even worse though is on at least five occassions when stalled on the hill the bike was like siezed-I would have to put all my weight on the lick starter and slowly wait for it to un lock, after this it would start as per usual, still a little worrying and a real pain not being able to use the e start whilst stuck on the side of a hill in a 2.5 foot rut :D

Help :D

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 28, 2005 - 06:52 PM

Fix your e-start. It should work on a hill and a rut once the engine is warmed up. Check your starter motor and valve clearances. :D

• flatnacker

Posted August 28, 2005 - 07:25 PM

Huh? Whats the e start got to do with the apparent hydraulic lock? I have to put all my weight on the kick starter and just wait for the pressure to slowly disapait, if my body weight cant budge it I doubt an electric start would be able to??

Also it was wierd that it was only stalling on hill...maybe the float is sticking and flooding the cylinder causing some type of lock??? Dammed if I have the faintest as to what or why its happening :D

• flatnacker

Posted August 28, 2005 - 11:18 PM

bumpity bump...

• ovrrdrive

Posted August 29, 2005 - 12:47 AM

You can clear up whether or not it is a hydrostatic lock by pulling the plug next time you feel the kickstarter locked up like that.

I've never heard of an engine getting a lock like that while running though. It's usually after sitting overnight leaking gas into the cylinder or by getting submerged and sucking in water.

Pull the plug next time and kick it. Then you'll know for sure if a stream of gas shoots out.

• sk8ter_kickflip

Posted August 29, 2005 - 02:10 AM

Hi guys I need some help.

On the weekend when attacking hill climbs my bike kept freaking stalling :D What made it even worse though is on at least five occassions when stalled on the hill the bike was like siezed-I would have to put all my weight on the lick starter and slowly wait for it to un lock, after this it would start as per usual, still a little worrying and a real pain not being able to use the e start whilst stuck on the side of a hill in a 2.5 foot rut :D

Help :D

Wats a lick starter? i want one LOL!!!!

• Wacko

Posted August 29, 2005 - 05:33 AM

flatnacker

I've had my bike stall and seem to lock up like that. It's usually happens when I panic and stall the bike over a log or into a corner.

I think when the engine stops it's just before top dead center and the automatic de-compressor doesn't get a chance to operate and open the valve. Kicking it over a bit with the "Lick starter" gets things working properly again.

Don't know if there's a fix for this one or not.

Wayne

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flatnacker

Posted August 30, 2005 - 03:03 PM

Hmmm interesting.....I would have thought more people would have experienced this though if that was the case and it wasnt the result of some thing wrong? still seems valid though....might have to got alk to my friendly local bike mechanic :D

• Dodjy

Posted August 30, 2005 - 04:03 PM

It wouldn't be the starter motor engaging when you rolled backwards on the hill after stalling would it? Maybe the starter gear is staying engaged or something meaning you are turning the starter as well when you kick it. Still, this won't explain why you can't start it using the button.

• flatnacker

Posted August 30, 2005 - 04:11 PM

nup, definately not. I still tend to think it has something to do with the carb as it is only stalling on hill climbs-no other time such as tight,technical stuff. The typical scenario with it stalling (now it could be stallingto technique...but) is when attacking a hill climb if the front comes up or I get side ways and back off the throttle it stalls, no every time but at least 7 times during one ride!!

The starter isnt engaged as I can still hit the start button and it tries but just makes the noise you get when the battery is flat.

• PBDBLUE

Posted August 30, 2005 - 04:19 PM

The problem is that the motor stopped in a position in which the decomp mechanism is not engaged. I've had it happen a few times. Just put the bike in gear and rock it back and forth a little. It should fire right up with the e-start after that. It definitely is not hydro-locked.

• flatnacker

Posted August 30, 2005 - 04:35 PM

Excellent mate!! Thanks!!! What about stalling probs?? Yours stall much??

• PBDBLUE

Posted August 30, 2005 - 05:59 PM

Not really. This is my 3rd 4xx so I'm pretty used to them. Try turning the idle up just a bit.

• flatnacker

Posted August 30, 2005 - 06:17 PM

Yeah Ive alread tried that with no joy. I dontthinkits my riding style though-I have ridden all my life and never had this happen before.....might have to get someone else to give it a go nexttime and see if it stalls on them...

• PBDBLUE

Posted August 30, 2005 - 06:43 PM

These bikes are a bit more prone to stalling than your typical 2 smoke. I guess I've gotten used to it. It doesn't happen often and with the decomp at least you can bump start it easily.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.