High Idle Problem

10 replies to this topic
  • cdeseru

Posted August 28, 2005 - 04:40 PM

I'am a new pig owner 2001 xr650r. My ? is where to start on this problem. The bike is getting stuck on a high idle 95% of the time. If I blip the throttel it will usually drop to a normal idle. Please Start with the easys fix first Thank you from Michigan

• cholwerk

Posted August 28, 2005 - 04:49 PM

Check the tension on the throttle cables. The pull cable should have a little bit of slack in it with the throttle closed. The push cable should have enough slack in it to close the carb fully, but not so much as to "bow" the cable when the throttle is fully closed. I would bet on the push being out of adjustment. Hope this helps.

• frankstr

Posted August 28, 2005 - 06:03 PM

You might want lube the throttle cables also and make sure the throttle tube is turning easily........ :D

• qadsan

Posted August 28, 2005 - 06:25 PM

Verify the throttle return is properly working. If it is and you're still having this issue, then you may have an intake leak (between the carb & cylinder) or more likely too lean of pilot jet and or fuel screw adjustment.

• Supplicate

Posted August 28, 2005 - 06:46 PM

I had a similar problem with mine, and for some reason jetting fixed it :D

then again, it could have been one of any number of other things I did at the same time as the major jet job.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mark_Bear

Posted August 28, 2005 - 06:46 PM

I had the same problem when I jammed the cables under the tank. Free play was fine but they were binding, you have to be sure they are routed correclty.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted August 28, 2005 - 06:51 PM

where in michigan?

• Max Power

Posted August 28, 2005 - 06:58 PM

Did you try turning the idle down?

• hondaracer47

Posted August 28, 2005 - 07:00 PM

Throttle cable tension is a big part of it, but there is very likely a jetting problem. If checking the cables doesnt get you any closer to solving the problem, then have the carb checked out. I would have a jet kit put in it anyway, you will get better throttle response and power out of it. Factory Pro Tuning makes one of the best kits out there. Dyno Jet has one but sometimes they require weird mods to the carb to install it. Good luck with getting the problem fixed.

• cdeseru

Posted August 29, 2005 - 04:38 AM

Port Huron I forgot to say the piggy has been uncorked

• J_Daniels

Posted August 29, 2005 - 11:52 AM

Seems I heard something about slighly tight intake valves will cause the hanging idle problem. Anyone know more about this?

Related Content

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.