650R, 650L, or 450x??

45 replies to this topic
  • huntmaster

Posted September 03, 2005 - 04:36 PM

I've held onto the 650R for another year after briefly considering the 450X.
Think I'll wait and see what the CRF600X will be all about. When it comes to blending power AND reliability there's simply no replacement for displacement!

The 650R is light years ahead of the "L" and if you can get it dual sported and can still kick a pig over I would go with the "R". ......As far as the 450X it looks sweet at 250 lbs but I haven't had a chance to ride one yet.

• gggjr

Posted September 30, 2005 - 11:25 AM

Roadcam

Dude, you have the spirit in you and you have a good bike that will keep you young no matter how old you feel. :banghead: You had my eyes watering after I read your reply. Its funny how when your young your body can take the abuse but we dont realize later it comes back to haunt you with pain. I think if you ride often enough either trail or street you have to be conditioned to go past your limits without having a pain hangover the next day.Remember women suck and your better off boxing your clown.If your single, kiss the ground like the pope use.To. the guy you replied , GET THE "L" DUDE , BE DONE WITH IT :applause:

• HC

Posted September 30, 2005 - 11:37 AM

for those recommending the 450, what is the power like compared to the 650's? is it a higher reving engine? w/ the power on top? this might not be all bad as too much grunt low down can wear you down. just askin' never rode a 450X

• pwrpapa

Posted September 30, 2005 - 03:59 PM

Roadcam , is your nickname Lucky ?

I had a cat named Lucky.
He got run over by a car.

• Misfit

Posted September 30, 2005 - 08:56 PM

Yes it is a high revving machine has lots more on the top and mid range than my 650 but I think the 650 still beats it in low end. :banghead: I love flicking the throttle open in 2nd and 3rd and the front end comes up :applause: The 650 would never do that.

• BWB63

Posted September 30, 2005 - 09:16 PM

KTM 525 MX will be duel sport legal next year. :banghead:

• jamesinzinna

Posted October 20, 2007 - 08:29 AM

I'm the newbie to this site but will confirm 100% satisfaction with my road legal 650R. I am pushing forty and weigh 155. I'm yet to come across someone with a more radical machine or ridding techniques. Note my bike is uncorked, but pretty much stock. The 650R is engineered to be service friendly, unlike many motor vehicles now a days. Pirelli tires rule as far as I am concerned (90/10). They are awesome on the road and as good as any knobby off road. I could go on and on, but I will leave it at this for now.

Looking for some radical riders to join a few adventurous trips over the next few years. We ride the mountains in NY and PA. Soon Big J and I will head west for some desert ridding and maybe enter the Baja (over 40 class) when we turn an early forty.

We'll be showing everyone audio/video footage next season, and if you can hang...you are more than welcome to try and lead the pack. Or just follow in my dust like most others. It's all fun! :crazy:

• martinfan30

Posted October 21, 2007 - 07:11 AM

at least you dont lack confidence!:crazy:

• gearloos

Posted October 21, 2007 - 10:16 AM

at least you dont lack confidence!:crazy:

LOL Martinfan:worthy:

• Billahjack

Posted October 21, 2007 - 02:32 PM

Dagwood55,

I have a 650R. I love it. I used to have 2 of them but I got tired of maintenancing a bike for my friends.

What kind of riding do you do? Are there mountain trails that you want to hit in the national forest? Are you just doing smooth open roads? How tall are you? What do you want for maintenance requirements?

Here are my opinions:

XR650R - great bike, low maintenance (600-mile oil change interval in manual), a little heavy in the slow stuff, pain to pick up when I crash on hill climbs. Stock form is restricted with soft supsension. Uncorked with suspension mods makes it a great bike. Seat is more comfortable than all the bikes except a 650L. Best bike for going fast over relatively smooth terrain. Very impressive power sliding capabilities. Like all XR's, this bike has an overbuilt motor that is not highly stressed. It will last a long time. The smaller 450's and 525's have high-revving, light motors that put out tremendous power for their size/weight but pay for it in longevity when ridden hard. The kick start is very friendly on this bike. I can start it cold with flip-flops on. Just kick through a few times with the decompression, get slightly past the compression part of the stroke, and give a smooth kick to the bottom of the kick-starter travel (no jabs like 2-strokes).

DRZ400 - Factory Street Legal!! Great bike, low maintenance (but a little more than XR650R), slightly lighter than XR650R, E-start, Requires uncorking tuning and probably suspension work to make it a great bike. I rode with a buddy who had one (suspension and uncorked/stock carb mods). I was impressed with it. Handled tighter trails better than the 650R yet had good street manners.

KTM 525 EXC - I have 2 buddies with these. 2007 and up are Factory Street Legal!! They need uncorking. Similar top end power to uncorked 650R. WAY lighter (about 35 lbs) than the 650R. A little squirrely on the road and high speed trails. I guess its slightly twitchy like an MX bike, but not as bad. E-start. Shorter oil change interval, factory recommended synthetic oil. Good trail suspension. Killer bike for tight trails and pretty good for fire roads. Lacks XR650R stability, but gains flickability. Super strong brakes. You need to get used to them. The stock seat is most UNCOMFORTABLE. If you are tall, you can get an enduro engineering tall seat. I wouldn't get an older KTM. It seems that they do minor updates every year or two and are finally getting a good bike that doesn't break.

CRF450X - Great suspension for stock. Still needs uncorking to get full power. Make sure to buy a newer one that doesn't have the 3rd gear siezing problem. I think its 2006 or newer. About same weight as KTM 525exc. Frequent oil changes required. Good all-around bike, probably equal to the KTM 525 EXC in tight stuff. Not sure abuot high-speed manners.

WR450F - In my opinion, I think this bike is similar to the CRF450X but better. Like the 450x, you have to change the oil frequently. I test rode one (WR426F) and seized the motor. I don't think the owner put oil in it ever. Glad I didn't buy that one. I hear these are great trails bikes with decent high-speed manners. They require uncorking also, but have pretty good suspension like the 450x. I wouldn't expect this bike to last more than 5 years (15-20,000 miles). Like the 450X and 525 EXC, it is a high strung motor. The 450's are e-start. The 426's are kick start with a bigger gas tank. The kick-start was pretty stiff and I would recommend using boots.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • COAL RUN

Posted October 22, 2007 - 11:23 AM

I suggest you also take a look at the Husky. All the TE's are streel leagal. I have had Honda's most all my life & currently have a XR650L & an old XL600R my next bike will be A TE510 as it's dirt bike with a plate. The TE610 is more road worthy but still good in dirt. as for the bikes you asked about The 450X is a great bike But the problems I have seen my riding buddies have will keep one out of my garage.

• scalejockey

Posted October 22, 2007 - 07:18 PM

If the possiblity of a $2000. motor job dosn't scare you I'd get a 450 they are great to ride. (I own a 650r with major suspension mods dual sport etc).
I really like the grunt of my 650,But hitting the top end of a 450 is a rush!!

• Billahjack

Posted October 24, 2007 - 08:39 PM

I suggest you also take a look at the Husky. All the TE's are streel leagal. I have had Honda's most all my life & currently have a XR650L & an old XL600R my next bike will be A TE510 as it's dirt bike with a plate. The TE610 is more road worthy but still good in dirt. as for the bikes you asked about The 450X is a great bike But the problems I have seen my riding buddies have will keep one out of my garage.

I haven't heard good things about the TE510. A guy at work bought one. He says the suspension is as stiff as a CRF450R track bike as well as the seat. The brakets, bars, levers, fasteners and small details are cheap junk. The motor screams!! Its more of a ride for a couple hours hell fast through some nasties, then load back up in the truck and enjoy the ride home. He only rides it about 1 time a month on average. The rest of the time, he is on one of his japanese bikes.

Two other friends checked them out and said no way. They both bought 2007 KTM 525 EXC bikes. Same price out the door (about $9k), way better for trails.

Basically, its not a fire road, casual national park cruiser. Its more of a street license motocross bike. In my opinion, its more of a younger crowd bike for those who like the motocross feel with a street legal plate.

• EarlT

Posted October 31, 2007 - 03:33 AM

CRF450X - Make sure to buy a newer one that doesn't have the 3rd gear siezing problem. I think its 2006 or newer.

Who else knows about this?

Is this why I see so many CRF450's for Sale?

I am trying to decide between
XR650R and CRF450.

Maybe I should do a Winter Project?

• Billahjack

Posted October 31, 2007 - 08:56 AM

CRF450X - Make sure to buy a newer one that doesn't have the 3rd gear siezing problem. I think its 2006 or newer.

Who else knows about this?

Is this why I see so many CRF450's for Sale?

I am trying to decide between
XR650R and CRF450.

Maybe I should do a Winter Project?

I believe I mentioned the 3rd gear issue on a previous post in this thread.

My opinion is that you would probably want the 450X for tighter trails and the 650R for more wide open stuff. I'm not sure what terrain you are riding around your place in Oregon. Why not a 525 EXC with the plate? Then you get a dual sport that can do tight trails.

• EarlT

Posted November 01, 2007 - 11:46 AM

Yesterday,
I went to the Honda Dealer in Medford, Oregon,
to look at the XR650R and the CRF450.

they didnt have the XR650R.
they did have the XRL650 and CRF450.
The salesman said they havent carried the XR650R for a few years.

I was Realy looking forward to the XR650R.

The CRF450 Seat was like sitting on top of a Fence.
I wanted to get Off right away!

The XR650L was Also like sitting on top of a Fence.
I sat on each aout 3 minutes each that is all I could Stand/ sit.

I also noticed the XRL650 and the CRF450 are Too Tall.
I am 5'11".

I went home.

This morning i sat on my '83 XL600.
Easy to get a Leg Over,
Seat is Nice and Cushy.
feet sit flat on ground.
Just Right.

I found the Bike I like.

• Bubba281

Posted November 01, 2007 - 02:28 PM

Yesterday,
I went to the Honda Dealer in Medford, Oregon,
to look at the XR650R and the CRF450.

they didnt have the XR650R.
they did have the XRL650 and CRF450.
The salesman said they havent carried the XR650R for a few years.

I was Realy looking forward to the XR650R.

The CRF450 Seat was like sitting on top of a Fence.
I wanted to get Off right away!

The XR650L was Also like sitting on top of a Fence.
I sat on each aout 3 minutes each that is all I could Stand/ sit.

I also noticed the XRL650 and the CRF450 are Too Tall.
I am 5'11".

I went home.

This morning i sat on my '83 XL600.
Easy to get a Leg Over,
Seat is Nice and Cushy.
feet sit flat on ground.
Just Right.

I found the Bike I like.

i am also 5'11" and i own both the crf450x and xr650L; both are 2005. As far as them being too tall....that is a personal issue and maybe a crf150 might suit your needs better because a crf 250 is the same heigth as the 450.
If you go from the 650 to the 450, the 450 does feel like a fence because the bike and seat are more narrow, but how could you say that about the 650? Anyways best of luck finding the right sized bike.

• porterdog

Posted November 02, 2007 - 07:08 AM

i am also 5'11"

...me too. Dirt bikes are tall, especially the bigger ones. You get used to it.

Both my xr400 and 650r were ungainly when I first got them; it's not so bad now.

• JRCam

Posted November 09, 2007 - 04:02 AM

All excellent advice, I just sold my DRZ400 and have a CRF 450X ordered. The DRZ is certainly worth looking at, reliable, easy to trail ride, nimble, mine just started to get tired and I',m ready for a change. I have high hopes for the 450X. I thought about the XR 650R but desire the electric start and lighter weight.

• Billahjack

Posted November 09, 2007 - 10:58 AM

I loosened up my rear spring when I just got my XRR to make it lower. After about a year and a bunch more confidence, I cranked it up to the proper 100mm sag. I'm 5-10 with boots on.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.