oring chain question?

4 replies to this topic
  • panaceabeachbum

Posted August 28, 2005 - 04:27 AM

Just curious if 520 oring chain can be cut, shortened , and reattached with a master link. Changed to 13t front on 650l, ordered a new chain and master links but the chain is an endless loop and the masterlinks I ordered are not going to be long enough to extend far enough thru the side plate far enough to get the clip on, the chain didnt come with a masterlink either and I am just not sure how to proceed. Whats the proper link count for 13/45 combonation? would 14/50 be a better choice? Thanks

• Old_Man_Time

Posted August 28, 2005 - 07:45 AM

Yes it can be shortened. You need to purchase a chain link breaker tool. Rather inexpensive and you will use it many times if you are a avid rider. If you bought the correct master links for your chain you will need a link compressor tool, also inexpensive. It is the rubber 0-rings that make the link shafts appear too short. A link compressor tool presses the side plates with enough pressure to compress the 0-rings giving you the required space to slip the clip on the link shafts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • panaceabeachbum

Posted August 29, 2005 - 06:19 AM

Thanks, the orings are the problem, I have the chain breaker just need to find a compressor, glad to hear such exists.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted August 30, 2005 - 06:41 PM

i needed no compressor tool.....put vise grips on to squish it togeter and took em off and cliped the clip on......no compressor

• Mark_Bear

Posted August 30, 2005 - 06:52 PM

I use a "G" clamp with a nut over the pin, bit fiddly but and you have to do both pins separately but it works for me.

Related Content

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  41 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.