Baja?

36 replies to this topic
  • Supplicate

Posted August 30, 2005 - 09:29 PM

Heres the most important advice for a newbie to those kinds of races:
When the 800 hp trophy trucks pass you doing 50-120mph--pull completely off the racecourse--into the desert--and come to a complete stop for 3-5 minutes-until the dust completely settles...look back for other trucks...wipe yourself, pray to your god, mutter "i will fear no evil as i walk thru the valley of death, for i am the baddest mofo in the valley", steady your shaking hands, and hope you dont get run over like a lil wabbit.

:D :D :D

• DelTronXR

Posted August 30, 2005 - 09:34 PM

How many entree's would you guess there to be total.

Anticipate at least 350 entries this year :D

• DelTronXR

Posted August 30, 2005 - 09:43 PM

Hey all, i am new here but have been riding 4-strks for years. I have been doing some research on the Baja 1K and noticed that Wardo had a great story about his experience in his first 1000. I am really interested and seriously talking about doing the 1000 in 2006, and am just looking for some tips that might help me on my way. I have already begun to build a team and we are looking at probably 4 riders. Once again, any tips would be greatly appreciated. Talk to y'all soon.

And like everyone else has kind of said, you have to start somewhere. Try out some D37 AMA races, heck, even the Elsinore GP coming up this November. You need to get VERY comfortable on your bike in a SUPER competitive environment. 1000 miles is VERY VERY long, and if you get pooped from prerunning a 50 mile loop somewhere in the Mojave Desert, you know you've got a whole lot of work to do. :D

• DRZ_Motorsports_119

Posted August 30, 2005 - 10:13 PM

Want to try something fun and cheap in Baja, try CODE Off-road these guys put some fun off-road races in Baja mostly mexicali. These races are fun and safe they have 2 classes OPEN PRO and OPEN Sportman for MC. In October CODE is gonna race Mexicana Logistics 300 in mexicali, baja and in december the Race Ready 275 from Ensenada - Mexicali - San Felipe.

for more info try: www.codeoffroad.com.mx

And next year CODE is gonna run the Mexicali 500 , the course is gonna be something similar to the 1994 Baja 1000 course (rumor), that is a great way to get familiar with Baja before racing the Granddaddy of them all The Baja 1000.

Next year im gonna race CODE in the MC division....

Good Luck

DRZ Motorsports 119

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 31, 2005 - 10:33 PM

Why not give the 500+ mile "Vegas to Reno" a try? Theres still time to get in on it. Its Oct. 7-9...bitd.com for info. If you guys can do that--and its a VERY easy route and VERY easy to self chase/pit

Holy crap!! That's the funniest thing I've read all year.... Vegas to Reno, VERY easy route an VERY easy to self chase/pit
:D

My first Vegas to Reno race was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life period.... And... I think pitting the race was even harder, VERY difficult to pit with one crew, VERY difficult to make it to the finish line.. MANY riders/teams DNF Vegas to Reno.... MANY....

• Supplicate

Posted September 01, 2005 - 05:34 AM

My first Vegas to Reno race was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life period.... And... I think pitting the race was even harder, VERY difficult to pit with one crew, VERY difficult to make it to the finish line.. MANY riders/teams DNF Vegas to Reno.... MANY....

I would guess less DNF's then Baja, and that is, after all, what is being discussed in this thread.

Easy is a relative term :D

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 01, 2005 - 06:16 AM

I would guess less DNF's then Baja, and that is, after all, what is being discussed in this thread.

Easy is a relative term :D

What do you mean? :D

• Supplicate

Posted September 01, 2005 - 06:23 AM

What do you mean? :D

I mean that Vegas to Reno is probably considered "easy" compaired to the Baja 1000, which was the original topic of this thread.

And that there are probably less DNF's in the Vegas to Reno then there are in the 1,000. I don't know this for sure since I don't really study them that much, just guessing, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Moredesert

Posted September 01, 2005 - 02:45 PM

Baja is great but you should take a tour group like Trailboss Tours or Baja Bound before you plan on racing the 1000. This way you can fly out and ride one of there bikes make contacts and see what it's all about. Baja is not like anyother race. Watch Dust To Glory and listen to what the people say about Baja. :D

• Cosmo

Posted September 01, 2005 - 08:15 PM

Baja is great but you should take a tour group like Trailboss Tours or Baja Bound before you plan on racing the 1000. This way you can fly out and ride one of there bikes make contacts and see what it's all about. Baja is not like anyother race. Watch Dust To Glory and listen to what the people say about Baja. :D

Like "Fonzie" used to say......Exactamundo!!! Here's a sceneraio for ya,you are "racing' along at nite in Baja,(middle of the nite,cold, 50 miles from anywhere)and you get launched off your bike.You get up,dazed,you can't find the bike because it shut off.You hope you still have those Motel match's in your pack.You hope they light,you hope the bike starts,etc..............................................................................."It's easy"?

• Husky_Forever

Posted September 01, 2005 - 10:16 PM

I'd hook up with some buddies and ride down there :D . Day trips, weekend trips, etc. Hook up with the tour groups and take a 3 or 4 day ride. Bajabound is running them in September thru next June. Pick a time and call them. Then come November, wait until 10 days to 1 week before the 1000 (loop race this year and next) and go pre run the course once with your buddies giving gas and drinks along the way. The course is the rougherst just a week before each race from all the pre running.

You will see what your up against before you pay one dime for race fee :D , pit service, fuel, bike prep, motels, food, gas, insurance, etc. If you can get around the course once averaging 25 mph (needed to run Honda pits, Mag 7 Pits or Baja Pits USA pit services so they don't close down on you somewhere down the course) then enter the 2006 year with confidence.

Tim was right, the Baja 500 is by far the most fun(with the exception of the long 1000 to La Paz held every 3 years) race and held in June when the weather is nice to race in. Whew, a lot to digest here. Steny :D

• bp_fire

Posted September 02, 2005 - 12:57 AM

I did the Baja 1000 last year, anybody that says its easy has NEVER done it :D I rode from Ensenada to peurta citas (sp) it was the most intense arse kicking ride of my life, it literally kicked my a$$ :eek:

To train, find a nice hooper trail and ride it WOT for 50 miles, 3 and 4 feet deep SOFT sand, dirt, rock and plenty of obstacles to throw you off balance when you get a good rhythm going. Do lots of squats, you'll be on your pegs for over an hour, your legs will burn, your arms will pump and your bike will buck like it doesn't want you on it anymore. I rode my DRZ400S :eek: I went in thinking "how hard could it be?" :D I hit a cow at 40mph, it knocked me out, bruised ribs...a rancher woke me up pointing to my bike, it was broken (broke the front caliper, lost my tool bag and spare tube) a truggy stopped and helped me remove the caliper and zip ty it to the handguard, and off I went :D (I have pics)

Rob Barnum set my bike up, Edelbrock Carb, Yosh pipe, steering stab, GPS, BIG tank and setup my suspension. This guy KNOWS baja www.barnumspro.com

I did it just to say I did it, 150 miles of it anyway :eek:

http://img.photobuck...re/DSC00785.jpg

http://img.photobuck...re/DSC00827.jpg

http://img.photobuck...re/DSC00847.jpg

http://img.photobuck...re/DSC00920.jpg

http://img.photobuck...re/DSC00914.jpg

• Moredesert

Posted September 02, 2005 - 11:47 AM

I did the Baja 1000 last year, anybody that says its easy has NEVER done it :D I rode from Ensenada to peurta citas (sp) it was the most intense arse kicking ride of my life, it literally kicked my a$$ :D

I did the 2002 Baja 1000 to La Paz. I ran the lower section at night with 1 broken head light. I preran almost 1000 miles in 3 days and it was as if I just showed for the first time come race day. I ran along the coast in the dense fog and couldn't see 10' in front of me. Those mile markers started getting farther and farther apart as I slowed down. 110 miles of sand whoops at night in the fog with 1 light, :D kicked my butt as well so I here what your saying. I ride sweep for Trailboss Tours so I have a far amount of Baja seat time and I still had a tough time. I hated every minute of the race but would do it again in a heart beat.

• Husky_Forever

Posted September 03, 2005 - 12:58 AM

I have raced 3 Baja 1000's on different bikes and love racing at night the most. The lack of moon light, just you, your bike and headlight and the nothingness out there. When I ride Baja for fun, I stand as much as possible. Good control of my bike, plus while racing you will be standing a lot too. Gets those legs in shape for the long hauls. Steny

• Moredesert

Posted September 04, 2005 - 07:19 PM

I really had a good time racing at night too. It's just you and the bike and your head lights. Everything else is just BLACK. After Baja I did a night race in Reno so I bought these light from RickyStator.com They will also fit my XR but with only 35Watt bulbs.

http://moredesert.co.../DRZ_Lights.gif
http://moredesert.co...es/DRZ_Yosh.gif

• miguelitro

Posted September 05, 2005 - 06:15 AM

I get nervous with anticipation just reading this thread...
I know one day here soon I'll be doing it too, cant wait

"I hated every minute of it..." That is a great quote
I'll be prerunning some of it this year and spectating or pitting or both right around the corner.

• hondaracer47

Posted September 13, 2005 - 07:49 PM

Thanks for all the tips, if anyone else comes up with anything, let me know.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.