Baja?

36 replies to this topic
  • hondaracer47

Posted August 27, 2005 - 10:34 PM

Hey all, i am new here but have been riding 4-strks for years. I have been doing some research on the Baja 1K and noticed that Wardo had a great story about his experience in his first 1000. I am really interested and seriously talking about doing the 1000 in 2006, and am just looking for some tips that might help me on my way. I have already begun to build a team and we are looking at probably 4 riders. Once again, any tips would be greatly appreciated. Talk to y'all soon.

• bork

Posted August 28, 2005 - 05:52 AM

rob barnum has experience , maybe he'll pm you.

• don87xr600

Posted August 28, 2005 - 08:13 AM

start exercising now.

• steveh

Posted August 28, 2005 - 09:20 AM

it's expensive!!!!!

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted August 28, 2005 - 01:45 PM

Do the Baja 500 before you do a Baja 1000.
The guy you mentioned, "wardo" first did the '04 SF.250 with another TTer. Then he did the '04 B.500 on a bike thru me with a couple other guys from Calif. Then he did the '04 B.1000 with the same guys.

• Jayzonk

Posted August 28, 2005 - 08:32 PM

start exercising now.

Exercising how? I figured maybe some day I'd be able to do it, but even if I couldn't, I thought it'd be neat to prepare. Did you mean practicing on the bike, or exercising? What type of exercises? Weights and cycling?

• hondaracer47

Posted August 28, 2005 - 09:08 PM

Exercising how? I figured maybe some day I'd be able to do it, but even if I couldn't, I thought it'd be neat to prepare. Did you mean practicing on the bike, or exercising? What type of exercises? Weights and cycling?

lots of riding, eating right, going to the gym. Prepare yourself to ride for many hours with only very short breaks for tire changes, and fuel. At least, that is my plan and why we are shooting for the 2006 Baja 1000, and not the 2005.

• hondasaretheshit

Posted August 28, 2005 - 09:14 PM

We need an extra guy for this 1000. Do you want to ride this years 1000. We had two guys from our team back out. Call me if you are interested
Nick Angel (949) 285-8232

• crfdude86

Posted August 28, 2005 - 09:25 PM

o man the baja is so much fun. u have to do it at least once.

• XR_Dude

Posted August 29, 2005 - 07:23 AM

Watch the new DVD from Dust to Glory from Dana Brown. It will give a lot of info!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Docmarkw

Posted August 29, 2005 - 07:59 AM

Watch the new DVD from Dust to Glory from Dana Brown. It will give a lot of info!

I watched the movie over the weekend. Did I hear the narrator correctly regarding the winnings, only $4000? How much are the entree fees.

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted August 29, 2005 - 08:32 AM

Did I hear the narrator correctly regarding the winnings, only $4000? How much are the entree fees.

Really, they won that much? Sounds good for a Baja race!
Entries are about $1100-$1400, plus pit services, hotels for at least a week, meals, pre-running, quality prep job on a race bike, etc... It adds up fast.
If you skim by and cut corners for a 1000 you'll end up spending around $4000 not counting a bike to race. A bike to race is gonna cost you another $7000-$12,000 ready to race.

• qadsan

Posted August 29, 2005 - 08:48 AM

Fees depend on what class you're running and the more classes you enter, the more fees you pay. Racing is for fun, and self worth, and the spirit of competition, etc, and not to make money unless you're really at the top of your game because it can be expensive to some folks. Even if you're at the top of your game, the money from winning / placing in your race is miniscule compared to your expenses in many of the classes, especially where vehicles are concerned.

I don't have the exact numbers for the 1,000, but here's what racing the 500 costs and expect to pay more for the 1000. In the 500 Pro class you should expect to pay ~$500 entry fee just for that class and you've also got insurance fees of ~$450, land user fees of $70, a $50 radio fee, a $50 SCORE points fund fee, a $50 SCORE membership fee, etc. So you're looking at a minimum of ~$1,170 just to race the pro class in the 500. If you're racing the sportsman class, your total race fees will be ~$750. And if you're entry fee is considered late (past their deadline), then you're looking at a $150 late entry fee.

For some people these fees are quite manageable and to others they're very expensive, but those are the types of fees you can expect. If you ever get the inclination to race the Dakar, then you'd better be getting at least a minimum of $30K together to make that happen and even at that you'll be running on a shoe-string budget :D

Edit: Tim (BajaBoundMoto) posted while I was typing. Listen to him on the fees as he does this all the time :D

• Baja Rudy

Posted August 29, 2005 - 09:35 AM

If anyone is interested we ride Baja all the time...we ride 200-300 miles per day. Mainly the Baja courses and we are planning on a trip in September. If anyone would like to come and ride with us that is fine. No beginners, no 2-strokes and no quads. It's very simple, come and ride, expect to spend $150-200 per day...bla bla bla. Chase vehicle, camping in San Quintin and plenty of riding, September 3-5, departing Friday september 2 in the evening. This will give you a good indication about racing the Baja. Please don't bother if you are the type that needs a ton of details...this is for the guys that simply are ready to ride.
depart Friday from San Diego around 4pm for Ensenada
Begin riding to San Quintin on the coast on Saturday (250 mile day)
Sunday ride to El Rosario and back to San Quintin (150 mile day)
Monday ride back to Ensenada (200 miles)

Rudy

• Docmarkw

Posted August 29, 2005 - 09:37 AM

How many entree's would you guess there to be total.

• XR/CRDave

Posted August 29, 2005 - 10:31 AM

If anyone is interested we ride Baja all the time...we ride 200-300 miles per day. Mainly the Baja courses and we are planning on a trip in September. If anyone would like to come and ride with us that is fine. No beginners, no 2-strokes and no quads. It's very simple, come and ride, expect to spend $150-200 per day...bla bla bla. Chase vehicle, camping in San Quintin and plenty of riding, September 3-5, departing Friday september 2 in the evening. This will give you a good indication about racing the Baja. Please don't bother if you are the type that needs a ton of details...this is for the guys that simply are ready to ride.
depart Friday from San Diego around 4pm for Ensenada
Begin riding to San Quintin on the coast on Saturday (250 mile day)
Sunday ride to El Rosario and back to San Quintin (150 mile day)
Monday ride back to Ensenada (200 miles)

Rudy

Just did that ride last weekend, started friday at Santo Tomas to San Quitin- 120 miles, saturday day ride - 40 miles and relaxed on the beach while some guys went fishing, sunday back to Santo Tomas loaded up and then home to SD.

I recommend to anyone that is planning to race the 1000 that they get down there and ride. Thats really the only way you are going to be competitive. If you are unfamiliar with the terrain take a tour or go with someone who knows what they are doing. I have done 10 rides in Baja but it was more of scenic rides on a slower pace. This time I went with a fast group, some racers and guys who do this stuff all the time, and let me tell you its totally different than just cruising along. You've got to be in good shape to run at high speeds for this kinda mileage over ruff terrain, we only stopped 2 times in 120 miles to get gas and eat/drink. I made it fine and was only a couple of minutes behind the fast guys so I felt I did good for not knowing the route too well. I am seriously thinking about starting to work out, eat better so I can enjoy the ride even more without being tired. What ever you decide, just be safe and prepared.

• Cosmo

Posted August 29, 2005 - 06:32 PM

I had to jump in,hey where's Irondude or the other names he go's by? Anyhow,Rudy is right.Go ride,get the "feeling" for the terrain.I DO agree with Tim though,start with the 500.No lights needed,it's warmer,cheaper.Next year the 1000 will go to La Paz.You need to take more time off from work(ugh!),more costs etc.It's something you NEED to do,that's a for sure!!

• wr450fyamaha

Posted August 29, 2005 - 06:34 PM

here is my advise:

get doin them push ups
win the lottery
begin a cult like folowing of supporters

• Blue Man

Posted August 30, 2005 - 08:49 PM

Use Honda pits, take a week off work for vacation and prerun, ask a few of your closest friends to come down the Baja on themselves, and have a truck that could possibly get crashed. Make sure they dont mind jail,........in Mexico. Buy them all a Margi and say thanks, be ready to spend money and not make it. It is the adventure.

What class are you riding?

• irondude

Posted August 30, 2005 - 09:20 PM

The Baja 1000 is fun and easy. You are just riding a motorcycle in a great place with folks waiving you on for a day and a night. Its a hoot!

Just get your buds together and go for it. Put a big tank on the bike, buy a Tecate Light from BD, get the stator wound, and put a stabilizer on the bike.

Every race there are 4-5 teams on bikes who are just racing to finish and have a great adventure. Nothing wrong with that at all. In fact its probably better than joining a group of established racers with their own 'system'.

Contact a pit service for fuel. Sign up early so you can get your name on the T-shirts, and try to pre-run your section at least once.

Why not give the 500+ mile "Vegas to Reno" a try? Theres still time to get in on it. Its Oct. 7-9...bitd.com for info. If you guys can do that--and its a VERY easy route and VERY easy to self chase/pit -- then you guys are well on your way to doing the 1000.

Heres the most important advice for a newbie to those kinds of races:
When the 800 hp trophy trucks pass you doing 50-120mph--pull completely off the racecourse--into the desert--and come to a complete stop for 3-5 minutes-until the dust completely settles...look back for other trucks...wipe yourself, pray to your god, mutter "i will fear no evil as i walk thru the valley of death, for i am the baddest mofo in the valley", steady your shaking hands, and hope you dont get run over like a lil wabbit.

:D

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.