desert coolant

7 replies to this topic
  • moach1

Posted August 27, 2005 - 09:28 PM

i have been reading about evan npg-r, seems a lot are using it. but they are riding tight muddy trails. i ride mostly desert and was curious to what coolant deserts riders are using and what is best. haven't had any issues yet with 50/50. i want to flush soon and was thinking about putting evans in. any negatives? any info helps

• moach1

Posted August 28, 2005 - 07:11 PM

anyone?

• hotrunnin-05wr450

Posted August 29, 2005 - 07:53 AM

is the evans where u cant add water when u do boilover? so if something happens u cant just add the water outa ur camel back in there? no sure might be another brand im thinking of...

ive herd good things about the VP racing fuels "cool down" not so much in dirt bikes but cars and street bikes.

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 29, 2005 - 09:33 AM

Evans NPG-R is great for bikes without overflow bottles like my KTM525
If you keep the stock overflow bottle then stay with 50/50 unless you race your bike hard and cant afford to stop and let it cool down.
50/50 will run cooler than evans product under normal riding conditions. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WGP

Posted August 29, 2005 - 10:33 AM

I'm using Engine Ice, works great, a liitle more boil over protection then stock coolant.
And it is an anti-freeze, because where I live it freezes, not like others.

• CheYuen

Posted August 29, 2005 - 11:48 AM

I am also looking to flush and refill and from what I have read, Engine Ice comes highly recommended. It is available from the TT store. However, I currently run 50/50 and have never used anything else. This is just what I have heard.

• jerryls

Posted August 29, 2005 - 07:02 PM

I would just run a 50/50 mix. I ride all summer in 100+ temps and I've only overheated a couple times. Usually from riding extremely technical stuff in 1st gear. When I start to hear the overflow tank gurgling, it time to either take a short break or find some open ground and get some air flow going.

Don't really see the need for exotic coolants in the desert for a WR. My buddies' KTM's on the other hand...

Jerry

• ncmountainman

Posted August 30, 2005 - 05:18 AM

is the evans where u cant add water when u do boilover? so if something happens u cant just add the water outa ur camel back in there? no sure might be another brand im thinking of...

ive herd good things about the VP racing fuels "cool down" not so much in dirt bikes but cars and street bikes.

you can add water in an emergency situation,it does no harm to anything but the integrity of your waterless coolant, which then must be flushed again when you get home and refilled :D evans is an awesome product for those with overheating problems. obviously if you can run 50/50 without overheating you don't need it. i on the other hand have to use a combination of fluidyne rads,NPG-R, and 22C to keep mine where it belongs(constant oil temps of 220-240) in any conditions. my 290 lb a$$ requires a little more of the motor,and the rekluse clutch doesn't help matters either;but with a little tweaking i've got the heat under control, it used to spit engine ice like it was milwaukees best :D ( oil temps were checked with a digital gauge and oil drain plug sending unit)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.