426-Yoshi Pipe -Quiet Insert Trouble

4 replies to this topic
  • BergRyder

Posted August 27, 2005 - 09:08 PM

I have a 01 426 Supermoto with a full titanium Yoshimura pipe. For supermoto racing I have the pipe wide open and the bike runs great. For an upcoming race there is a 96dBA limit for the class I want to run in. I tried the two quiet inserts that I have for the pipe and the bike ran really badly. With the most restrictive insert I could only turn the throttle about 1/4 turn then the bike would miss, it was slightly better with the less restrictive insert but still ran badly - unrideable let alone raceable. Any ideas for how I can fix this? This method of making the bike quieter by making the exhaust opening smaller seems to rob a ton of power. There is nothing that can be done with exhaust packing?
Does the stock muffler fit the Yoshi head pipe (doubtful).
I don't want to do any thing too radical to the bike as this is a "one off" race and the bike runs great with the current set up.

• BergRyder

Posted August 28, 2005 - 07:57 PM

Update: I've been given a complete stock exhaust from an (03) YZF450, I've put it on and the bike is much quieter and it seems way less restrictive than the Yosh pipe with the inserts. Not sure how it will be on the track with the jetting I have.
Does anyone know the decibel level for a stock 03 YZF 450? From other posts that I've read seems like it's way over 96 dBA...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BergRyder

Posted August 28, 2005 - 09:13 PM

The following thread connects to a large list of different Yamaha model's and shows their decibel levels with different aftermarket exhaust systems.
http://www.4strokes....maha/yamaha.pdf
From the list it appears a stock 2003 YZF450 makes 98.9 dBA.

• Scotty426

Posted August 29, 2005 - 05:25 PM

I run the DR. D 3 and 1/2 pipe and had something similar. It ran great before the quiet core insert but had a bad stumble low in the RPM range with the quiet core. I jetted most of it out. It was the opposite end of the RPM range as you though. Just a guess on the face of it, you are rich on the main. The insert bleeds off a little air in the mid-high range and you get a rich sputter. Your call, but I would try going one leaner on the main. I have heard people same older Yammers run best with loud pipes but have never had anyone explain why. Curious.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted August 29, 2005 - 08:00 PM

Update: I've been given a complete stock exhaust from an (03) YZF450, I've put it on and the bike is much quieter and it seems way less restrictive than the Yosh pipe with the inserts. Not sure how it will be on the track with the jetting I have.
Does anyone know the decibel level for a stock 03 YZF 450? From other posts that I've read seems like it's way over 96 dBA...

99db...and thats according to the man himself, Doug Dubach.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.