Just got nitrous for my 450!!

66 replies to this topic
  • Dirty_Sanchez

Posted March 16, 2006 - 09:01 PM

Have been running it on my sled for a long time now with a good boost and have sold a crapload of kits for sleds and 450's and so far everyone loves it so I thought why not my 450. Now if I can just hang on. Will have a Vid and dyno sheets soon will install on Mon or Tues will keep you posted.

I'm looking for a spare wheel set for my YZ.

When you blow your engine, would you sell me your wheels?

Dirty :thumbsup:

• darksun27

Posted March 17, 2006 - 09:21 AM

sounds sweet :thumbsup:

• MotoRick

Posted March 17, 2006 - 10:57 AM

I'm looking for a spare wheel set for my YZ.

When you blow your engine, would you sell me your wheels?

That may be sooner than you think. These high-performance aluminum dirt bike engines are built light and tight, no extra case webbing and cast-in stiffeners that would add weight. They aren't really made to handle the incredible stresses that nitrous can put on them. The clutch and transmission aren't designed to handle such shock loads, either. This engine's days are numbered.

• snow

Posted March 17, 2006 - 01:01 PM

Nitrous is not like you see on fast & the Ferious or what you see on TV. It does not give you that mind blowing power that you are thinking of. Only run a 10-15 HP shot and like on sleds the EGT's stay the same or go down also to the wheel that's only like a 7hp. Also you are only on the button for 9-10 sec at a time and I only use it 10 times a day at the dunes. Maybe your right and the motor will go but I have seen it on sleds for 3 years and most never have a problem.

• MotoRick

Posted March 17, 2006 - 03:59 PM

Nitrous is not like you see on fast & the Ferious or what you see on TV. It does not give you that mind blowing power that you are thinking of. Only run a 10-15 HP shot and like on sleds the EGT's stay the same or go down also to the wheel that's only like a 7hp. Also you are only on the button for 9-10 sec at a time and I only use it 10 times a day at the dunes. Maybe your right and the motor will go but I have seen it on sleds for 3 years and most never have a problem.

I agree, Hollywood has made nitrous out to be somethng it's not, but I've seen fully built drag race engines blow up from a push of The Button. These dirt bike engines are just not built to handle that much boost in hp and their longevity will definitely be shortened by repeated application of it. By comparison, a snowmobile engine is built for durability and can withstand a lot more abuse than a dirt bike.

• 757holeshot

Posted March 18, 2006 - 12:41 AM

i dunno if it would blow up cause there is a guy here in aus wit a WR450 supermoto runnin a turbo-charger setup with 5-9 pound of boost pressure and its runin fine i think i has differant head gasket though to decompres it

• kid on a 426

Posted March 18, 2006 - 07:05 PM

Whats the horsepower?

• snow

Posted March 18, 2006 - 08:05 PM

Also if you figure in the HP lost at my elivation 6000FT+ I'm not running much over what a piped 450 is running at sea level.

• kawirider

Posted March 19, 2006 - 05:35 AM

wheres the vid/dyno sheet?

• MisterMan

Posted March 19, 2006 - 10:17 PM

screw nitrous....i wanna BLOWER!!!... hahaha when is too much, much too much!?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2fastwhitey

Posted March 19, 2006 - 11:41 PM

NOS sounds good to me, if yours doesn't blow!! How are you injecting the nos, and is it a wet, dry or fogger system? And, where do you stick the bottle(under the rear fender)? Better not be there cause with my luck I'll aim a rock right at her!

I'd like to know some more about that blower setup.

Snow, let us know how it fairs so we can test it out too. PM me a price and where are those DYNO results.
Thanks

• 757holeshot

Posted March 20, 2006 - 03:22 PM

I'd like to know some more about that blower setup

well apparentlly it was a joint venture between yam aus and old mate with the WR the work was done by Mr.turbo in qld and thats where i saw it looks awsome tiny little turbo i had a pic sum where when i find it ill post it up

• gulley04

Posted August 20, 2006 - 05:56 PM

i wanna get one for my 50

That would be a funny ass bike. I'd just like to see him loop out when he gunned it, hahahaha :thumbsup:

• bigred455

Posted August 20, 2006 - 07:28 PM

So where are the numbers? almost a year now!

• dwnlowx

Posted January 16, 2007 - 10:12 AM

what ever happened here

• dwnlowx

Posted January 16, 2007 - 10:13 AM

come on did it blow up is it still running what are the numbers

• John407

Posted January 16, 2007 - 10:29 AM

There was a local Vet Pro up in Calgary at the International Oldtimmer's race, that was running Nitros on his CRF450 and he said that he couldn't hit the nitros until 3rd of 4th gear on the MX track. During a moto he came up on a guy on a KX500, the CRF wheelied by the KX going uphill. It was pretty impressive.

• red7

Posted January 16, 2007 - 10:16 PM

I could maybe see it on hillclimbs or dunes but that is pretty crazy!

• cetanefreek

Posted January 17, 2007 - 11:13 AM

I agree, Hollywood has made nitrous out to be somethng it's not, but I've seen fully built drag race engines blow up from a push of The Button. These dirt bike engines are just not built to handle that much boost in hp and their longevity will definitely be shortened by repeated application of it. By comparison, a snowmobile engine is built for durability and can withstand a lot more abuse than a dirt bike.

I don't know if I can agree with that, the generally accepted rule with a sled is that if you manage to go two years without melting it down, rebuild it that summer cuz you have a gauranteed blow up if you try for three. I've never had or heard of a sled that can take near the abuse or last as long as a dirt bike.

• snow

Posted January 24, 2007 - 09:03 PM

Holy cow this thread is huge.

I've never had or heard of a sled that can take near the abuse or last as long as a dirt bike.

Sleds can take lots more aftermarket Hp and last for a long time.

I'm still on the button for 2-3 rides out of the year in the dunes and sometimes I even go without in the dunes also there is no need for it in the mountains not even sure a guy could use it on the roads. No problems yet. Never did get any pics up or even dyno it but it sure does help up Choke.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.