Just got nitrous for my 450!!

66 replies to this topic
  • ONLY4STROKES

Posted August 29, 2005 - 07:55 PM

No I was just saying that a guy could easly switch to a lawnmower or whatever you want in 20 min and if you are set up with mounts in place you can do in in 5-10 min. I have seen pulling lawmowers that run on nitrous and turbos. I got all my stuff together and am going to install tomarrow night and dyno run on wendsday. I am also thinking of a pipe but there are too many choices.

Yeah, believe it or not they show lawnmower racing on ESPN2.

And we couldn't get motocross coverage. I really wonder about those guys.

• Slowmotion426

Posted August 29, 2005 - 08:27 PM

If you can't afford Nitrous, you can get a whole lot of rubber bands cheap. Stretch them from your handlebars to a couple of trees about 40' away. You'll get a killer boost on your start at a fraction of the cost.

• ncmountainman

Posted August 30, 2005 - 05:01 AM

I'd like some tech info on the installation. What is the source for the extra fuel required, and how is it delivered, metered, etc.?

you worry too much grandpa :D (just kidding :D ) the only long term problem might be the high compression :D

• grayracer513

Posted August 30, 2005 - 06:51 AM

That doesn't answer the question, Bob. :D

• ncmountainman

Posted August 30, 2005 - 07:08 AM

i rectum you might have to run an oversize mj and the accelerated air flow might just bring in enough fuel. just conjecture of course :D

• CHEEZE13

Posted August 30, 2005 - 09:57 AM

Jetting would be the upmost concern, NO2 is extremely sucseptable to detonation, thus blowing your cylinder up your ass. I would not recomend doing that!

• grayracer513

Posted August 30, 2005 - 12:50 PM

i rectum you might have to run an oversize mj and the accelerated air flow might just bring in enough fuel. just conjecture of course :D

The reason I asked is because Nitrous Oxide is not flammable. The advantage is that it is something 40% oxygen by volume, as opposed to around 18% for atmospheric air, so what it does is increase the oxygen content of the air part of the fuel air mixture. The problem with that is that adding oxygen by itself makes the engine dangerously lean, so extra gasoline is required to go with the extra oxygen. In a car engine, a line is attached to the pressure side of the fuel system, and the fuel and Nitrous are controlled by a pair of solenoids.

In researching it myself (because no one would answer my question), I found this:

...by injecting nitrous into the airbox, the engine consumed only the nitrous that was needed when it was needed, and by increasing pressure inside the carburetor float bowl at the same time, extra fuel could be delivered simultaneously. This was the only way he could produce consistent and reliable results using nitrous on a snowmobile ....Rejetting is not required, the extra fuel pump and fuel solenoid are eliminated, and the bottle heater can be eliminated (nitrous and fuel delivery both change with bottle pressure)

Apparently, they run bottle pressure into the float bowl to force more fuel out through the main jet than would normally be drawn through it. Functional, I suppose, but it seems a bit haphazard somehow.

• ncmountainman

Posted August 30, 2005 - 01:21 PM

ya a pressurized carb under yer nuts,inches away from what i'm sure would become a glowing red exhaust might even concern me :D

• snow

Posted August 30, 2005 - 07:03 PM

grayracer513
Trying not to sound like a salesman but here is by best answer.
Yes Boondockers runs nitrous to the float bowl but the problem I have found with that is under a long pull over 30 sec with a big hit the nitrous can freeze things up. The problem with the bikes and ATV's is there is no fuel pressure so it is very hard to get fuel to the nitrous manifold. On a sled the Ice nitrous manifolds that I run have a spring and a needle that opens when nitrous pressure hits the manifold thus eliminating the need for a fuel solenoid is simple and you don't have to cut any wires since it runs off a small Battery box. So on the Bikes we run a line off the float bowl so when you hit the nitrous button it creates a very small vacuum that draws fuel to the manifold without starving are pressurizing the float bowl the only downside is that you need a fuel solenoid. Nitrous with any kit these days is safe and actually does not raise your EGT at all and since you only use it when you need it there is very little strain on your motor. That’s just my 2cents but by far nitrous gets you more bang for your buck.

• BergArabia

Posted August 30, 2005 - 07:17 PM

So how much is a kit. How much does it weigh and do you ship international?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • snow

Posted August 30, 2005 - 07:30 PM

BergArabia PM if you are interested I would rather not make anyone mad on the forums. Thanks Justin

• Frostbite

Posted August 31, 2005 - 05:50 AM

2 years ago I borrowed a NOS kit from a sled draggin' friend of mine, to run on my WR in a 320 kilometer cross country race. The other 49 entries were sleds and I needed more top speed on the flat sections.
After reading everything I could on NOS I gave the kit back. There were so many variables including pressure and temperature of the tank, and the danger of puncture when I crash, I realized that it wasn't ideal for steady riding, better for 1/4 mile.
It was an older kit with electric fuel pump and solenoids. Maybe the new ones are better, but I'd still worry about popping the can open when I fall.

• lanham

Posted August 31, 2005 - 11:23 AM

2 years ago I borrowed a NOS kit from a sled draggin' friend of mine, to run on my WR in a 320 kilometer cross country race. The other 49 entries were sleds and I needed more top speed on the flat sections.
After reading everything I could on NOS I gave the kit back. There were so many variables including pressure and temperature of the tank, and the danger of puncture when I crash, I realized that it wasn't ideal for steady riding, better for 1/4 mile.
It was an older kit with electric fuel pump and solenoids. Maybe the new ones are better, but I'd still worry about popping the can open when I fall.

I would like more info about the picture of your bike with a track.

• Frostbite

Posted August 31, 2005 - 12:32 PM

I would like more info about the picture of your bike with a track.

Here's a couple of links, link link.
The 2nd one is old so some of the pics may not work.

• snow

Posted September 01, 2005 - 04:35 AM

Ya the old kits sucked. With the new kits you don't need power to run them they are self sufficient (no cutting into your power system) and no fuel pump. As for bottle pressure you will not notice and difference till you are almost completely empty. It would take a huge rock and a hard hit to open a bottle up and even if you did all it would do is shoot off and hit you opponent. :D I have dropped a few bottles on the cement floor on the valve and it has never cracked yet most likely it would just crack the bottle and leak out.

• bob333

Posted September 02, 2005 - 06:04 PM

it wouldn't do anything when it sprays out nitrous oxide isn't flamable its actually super cold

• Nitrous Guy

Posted March 16, 2006 - 02:22 PM

Boondocker works great. Been running it on my predator for 3 yrs and just installed on my 03 yz450. :thumbsup:

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 16, 2006 - 02:42 PM

Alot of the pro hillclimbers run nitrous. If they arent worried about the bottle, no one should. Those guys beef it hard on a regular basis. :thumbsup: They say it is awesome. I would love to try it sometime, but I would prolly just loop out and bruise my fat ass. :thumbsup:

• Jaycycle

Posted March 16, 2006 - 05:28 PM

i wanna get one for my 50

To be honest I was thinking about it too. They have these little nos systems for mini's. I have a question tho... would I need to get a rev box if I got one due to the revlimiter? Because when I used it wouldnt the limiter just kick in? Thanks :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• snow

Posted March 16, 2006 - 06:36 PM

Someone must have done some searching. Anyways you might be able to get by with a little dry shot on a little 50??? If so you could buy the stuff off ebay for cheap. I Run the nitrous in the dunes ONLY. To be truthfull I don't know of many places other than the sand were you could control the power. Even on Chokecherry I have to lean way forward and I can only hit it when going at a good clip or else it loads the motor with gas and floods or pulls the front end off the ground. I have a BD kit on now and so far no problems but I only use it when I race.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.