Quick Question - Oil Filters

31 replies to this topic
  • clark4131

Posted August 28, 2005 - 06:28 PM

From what I understand about high quality synthetics is they are composed of smaller chain molecules which lubricate at an even smaller atomic level than the larger chain natural hydrocarbons found in conventional oil. Furthermore, the make up of the synthetic molecule is polar, meaning it has a distinct positive and negative charge on opposite ends of its atomic configuration so it acts like a magnet and actually bonds itself to the metal it is lubricating and, in fact, does not run off like a conventional oil. This is the reason why you don't want to use it to break-in a new engine because it reduces the friction too much and the parts cannot mate properly. I'm just a fireman not a chemist so don't quote me, but I've researched the topic to some degree 'cuz I like to give my engines the good stuff so they'll treat me right...SC

• Joe Reitman

Posted August 28, 2005 - 07:29 PM

I went to full synth in my KX on advice of my local guru Mark Klein aka MXTUNER. Better shifting was one of the pleasant byproducts of slicker oil. I run the Shell Rotella T, which by the way is only $13 at Wal Mart. :D Next oil change the WR gets it too.

• Vibeguy

Posted August 28, 2005 - 08:05 PM

Is your mechanic a lube oil analyst for a major oil company? I thought not.

It's the oils viscosity that determines it's ability to "cling" to parts not wether it's a mineral or synthetic base, It's a popular old wives tale. I have even heard professional mechanics tell owners to never use synthetic oil as it will wreak all kinds of havoc on their engine and void their warranty.

Free your mind and your oil will follow, educate yourself like Clark4131, he is correct, the molecules in mineral oils are all different sizes and non uniform. PAO synthetic molecules are all excactly alike, uniform in size and shape hence the term "designer oils".

• e_dogg

Posted August 29, 2005 - 10:28 AM

No reason not to change the filter (or clean your metal one) with every oil change. Oil is the blood of any vehicle and should be kept as clean as possible. There's no such thing as too clean...

• CheYuen

Posted August 29, 2005 - 11:55 AM

I have an '05 wr 450 with 90 miles on it. How long should I wait to switch to a fully synthetic oil? Is there anything I have to do to remove any residual left on the parts in the bike or is that amount of left over oil negligible?

• clark4131

Posted August 29, 2005 - 01:02 PM

I'd wait until you had at least 500 miles before going to synthetic. That's what my interval was...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CheYuen

Posted August 29, 2005 - 03:08 PM

Anyone know anything about these filters? Any good? http://www.hiflofilt...=0&sel_uid=1423

• clark4131

Posted August 29, 2005 - 03:33 PM

Looks like another paper filter to me...SC

• dman450f

Posted August 29, 2005 - 04:12 PM

easy now boyz , I am not arguing with anyone about full synthetic oils . just stating what my mech said , and like I said earlier , I am getting all the facts before putting a full synthetic in my ride..the bike left the shop new with golden spectro synthetic blend and after putting some good miles on it I might :D go to a full synthetic.... :D now have a beer and relax...never said I like my mechanic anyway......

• TwoBobRob

Posted August 29, 2005 - 04:50 PM

Anyone know anything about these filters? Any good? http://www.hiflofilt...=0&sel_uid=1423

Popular over here in the UK, I use them myself. Never heard of any problems... :D

• clark4131

Posted August 29, 2005 - 06:39 PM

Hey DMan, the Yamalube recommended by the manual is also a synthetic blend, but I dumped mine out immediately and went with Honda's conventional oil :D just for the first 500 miles for break-in reasons. I know, flog me but I had a bunch left over from my other bikes.

Here's a little link to a niftly little website that gives some insight into the whole synthetic, semi-synthetic, conventional oil controversy. I think the bottom line is that oil is like gold, Conventional is 10K, Semi is 14K and Full Synthetic is 24K. Due to the fact that the more learned of us are changing out every couple of rides anyway, I really think the whole thing is a moot point. But just in case lightning does strike, I'm still gonna go full synthetic based on my personal experiences :D ...SC

• Vibeguy

Posted August 29, 2005 - 09:48 PM

I have an '05 wr 450 with 90 miles on it. How long should I wait to switch to a fully synthetic oil? Is there anything I have to do to remove any residual left on the parts in the bike or is that amount of left over oil negligible?

Drain as much as you can of the previous oil and don't worry about the rest, after all that is what makes a semi-synthetic is a blend of mineral and synthetic.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.