Quick Question - Oil Filters

31 replies to this topic
  • goodluckmonkey

Posted August 27, 2005 - 03:34 PM

Did the search thing, and have spent the last half hour reading about it all, but am not 100% sure on what's what.

I did the first oil change on the WR ('02 426) this evening, and was shocked with all the debris in the filter. Changed after approx 300 miles. (1 mx practise track, and about 200 miles of supermoto on the road)
Reading past threads, i see this is normal for Yammies. - I did 20,000miles on my DRZ and the filter was always spotless.

The real question is what people do with respect to changing filters. I always threw a new paper filter in the DRZ every 600 miles, but the genuine Yammie filter i bought is a metal screen type, which has less filtering capability than a paper one.

I'm using Silkolene Comp 4, which is fully synth. 10w/40.

How often should i change the filter?
Should i just clean it, and re-use it? If so, How?
Can i use paper filters if i can find them, and change them every time i change the oil?

What's the general concensus when it comes to service intervals? I've just changed it as the oil has started to become discoloured.

Attached a pic of my WR for those who are interested.

• dman450f

Posted August 27, 2005 - 03:45 PM

I cant believe you waited so long to do your first oil change.....

• Joe Reitman

Posted August 27, 2005 - 03:52 PM

I have the same oil fiLter questions. Did not change filter at first oiL change [75 mi]

So I guess I need to change it by 175 miles...

• dman450f

Posted August 27, 2005 - 05:22 PM

just to give you guys a little insight , grease and oil are the cheapest , best and most important things you can ever do to any motorized vehicle . the first oil change is by far the most important you can do in my book . my ride got its first after one hour....filter too...think about it...its brand new with metal fragments from the factory and all the stuff that the motor sheds during its crutial breakin period...my ride got its second oil change after three hours...filter too...it is going to LAST !!!! you know what I mean???? the valves will be done shortly just to ease my mind... :D

• goodluckmonkey

Posted August 27, 2005 - 05:45 PM

Nooooo, the bike's not new, just the first oil change since i bought it. :D

• CheYuen

Posted August 27, 2005 - 05:46 PM

Just did my first oil and filter change at 43 miles, which was about two hours. I had bought paper element filters to replace the metal screen type that I expected to find but the filter I removed looked like the one I was putting in . . . is this a re-usable filter? If so, how should I clean it? By the way, I found no metal fragments in the strainer, filter, or oil ? ? ?

• Joe Reitman

Posted August 27, 2005 - 05:57 PM

No metaL fragments in my oil either.

ps- my 147 miles thus far are all street, mostly easy until last ride. :D

• dman450f

Posted August 27, 2005 - 06:13 PM

paper filters are not reusable...but important to replace often on these beasty four strokes... :D :D

• clark4131

Posted August 27, 2005 - 07:31 PM

I use my odometer as a maintenance meter. I change the oil and filter after every third ride or when I roll 100 miles, whichever comes first. Another thing is that I use a high quality synthetic (Amsoil) and a Ready Racing filter that gets cleaned and blown out with my compressor every time. That's my regimen in a nutshell...SC

• dman450f

Posted August 27, 2005 - 07:58 PM

While we are on the subject , I use golden spectro synthetic blend....my mech has worries about full synthetics as they can run off vital parts and not protect during startup...I still havent given up on a full synthetic until I get all the facts...ride on :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TeamScream

Posted August 27, 2005 - 09:22 PM

lol good one.

• David37

Posted August 27, 2005 - 09:50 PM

I change my oil and filter every three rides. Oil and filters are cheap insurance to insure engine longevity.

• Joe Reitman

Posted August 28, 2005 - 04:44 AM

Ready Racing filter- where did you get it? Are you able to get it completely clean?

• clark4131

Posted August 28, 2005 - 06:09 AM

Here is where I got mine. To clean it, I drop it into a mason jar half filled with white gas which dissolves all the oil out of it. I then take my compressor and blow everything from the inside out. It doesn't get absolutely everything out, but I'd say it does about a 99% job. Since the RR filter is supposed to separate out smaller particles than the paper ones, I figure I'm still ahead of the game at 99%...SC

• farkawi

Posted August 28, 2005 - 10:25 AM

The brass screen Yamaha filters are OK. The aftermarket stainless filters do a better job of filtering, as do the paper filters. The paper filters don't flow as well in cold temps as the others. It's your choice really. When changing oil every 100-200 miles I just prefer a re-usable filter.

• Joe Reitman

Posted August 28, 2005 - 12:08 PM

Thanks.

Found it: http://store.readyra...m/cf1050bc.html

Noticed it also works for Yamaha Wolverine. Mine is way overdue for filter. Guess I will order 2...

• dman450f

Posted August 28, 2005 - 12:34 PM

thanks alot clark, I just ordered the filter and cover from ready racing .soon my bike will have as much money in it as my truck ! :D

• clark4131

Posted August 28, 2005 - 12:47 PM

One thing on the Ready Racing cover...I didn't use mine because the little tab that centers the filter in the chamber isn't there. A rep from the company got on the forum after I reported this and said it wasn't necessary for filtration. I thought about it and decided it may not be necessary for his bike, but is was for mine, so I stuck with the stock filter cover and put the new one in my sparts parts bin. Maybe I'll take up smoking and use it for an ashtray in the garage ...SC

• Vibeguy

Posted August 28, 2005 - 04:07 PM

While we are on the subject , I use golden spectro synthetic blend....my mech has worries about full synthetics as they can run off vital parts and not protect during startup...I still havent given up on a full synthetic until I get all the facts...ride on :D

Not true,

The advantages of full synthetic oils over straight or synthetic blends in modern engines (car and bike) are well documented. The only place they fall short of mineral or blended oils is price. Synthetics are the "designer drugs" of the lubrication world.

At the rpm and temps we run these modern four stroke bikes at if you are not using synthetics you are not using the best protection for your engine. Granted, changing the oil and cleaning the filter regularly is the MOST important aspect of maintaining your engine.

Oil is always cheaper than steel!

• dman450f

Posted August 28, 2005 - 04:28 PM

my worry is the runoff factor,when the bike sits the oil completely runs off vital engine parts,therefore not protecting the engine during startup..this is just what I was told by a mech at the yamy shop...I well know what a full synthetic does when the engine is warm.... :D :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.