Help, just added Hotcams and........

5 replies to this topic
  • Crabtree426

Posted August 27, 2005 - 01:23 PM

I just took my 2000 YZF426 for my first spin since having the HotCams intake and auto decompression cam installed and something is wrong. When holding the throttle at a set position (say 1/3rd of the way pulled back) it sputters and lightly jerks. My initial thought is that it's not getting enough fuel. I also added the Acerbis 3.2 gallon tank at the same time and the hose route is weird. Need opinions, thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted August 27, 2005 - 02:24 PM

At a third throttle the needle is becoming the most influential jetting component, although the slide cutout and the pilot circuit are still affecting it at that point, too. You can experiment with needle position and see if that helps. Raising the needle (by lowering the position of the clip) makes it richer.

• 642MX

Posted August 27, 2005 - 03:14 PM

I just took my 2000 YZF426 for my first spin since having the HotCams intake and auto decompression cam installed and something is wrong. When holding the throttle at a set position (say 1/3rd of the way pulled back) it sputters and lightly jerks. My initial thought is that it's not getting enough fuel. I also added the Acerbis 3.2 gallon tank at the same time and the hose route is weird. Need opinions, thanks.

I think you should try draining the carb and flushing the tank out too. Sometimes new fuel tanks have plastic shavings in them from the factory. You may just have some shavings floating around and getting stuck in the jets.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Crabtree426

Posted August 27, 2005 - 07:31 PM

At a third throttle the needle is becoming the most influential jetting component, although the slide cutout and the pilot circuit are still affecting it at that point, too. You can experiment with needle position and see if that helps. Raising the needle (by lowering the position of the clip) makes it richer.

The bike ran perfectly fine before the install and it's actually sputtering at any throttle position. Any other suggestions.

• Crabtree426

Posted August 27, 2005 - 07:32 PM

I think you should try draining the carb and flushing the tank out too. Sometimes new fuel tanks have plastic shavings in them from the factory. You may just have some shavings floating around and getting stuck in the jets.

Good point except I hosed the tank out and let it dry before installing it.

• yzf450jack

Posted August 27, 2005 - 07:39 PM

You may be a tooth off on the cam timing and or did you put bigger jets in it! It will jerk and sputter when it's rich on the hose's correct way is over the intake so it will siphon the petcock is lower that the carb.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.