My new to me 650L is hoggin out

6 replies to this topic
  • pelicano

Posted August 27, 2005 - 01:04 PM

I bought a '97 xr650L last night with 6000 miles. Ran great around San Francisco for about twenty minutes. Put in some more gas and took it off reserve. I was getting a little more comfortable and juiced it. Thing almost died right then and there. Rode a while longer, went to the bar (drank tea and coke okay) and on the way home it hogged out so bad I had to push it up the hill with it idling. Thats all itll do anymore. Any twist of the throttle and it hogs out and stalls. Starts right up and idles fine. Im going to check the tank filter and what then? Could it be all the emissions crap?

bought me a new project,
just want to ride,
erik

• ImpalaR1

Posted August 27, 2005 - 01:21 PM

Shoot...um check the petcock like u were going to. That sounds like what happend to my old 94 Xr600, the reserve switch on mine didn't work and those are the symptoms of not enough gas...but since u put more gas in that's not an issue i guess.

If it's not somthing to do with gas line, petcock/fuel filters, make sure the choke is opening and closing fine. Then if that still doesn't fix it, then ur gonna have to check the carb alittle more in depth. Or u might have a fouled plug, so ur mixture could be off. Just run ur throttle at the speed it bogs down at and then check the plug to see how it's running, rich/lean. hope that helped

• lrutt

Posted August 27, 2005 - 01:25 PM

Make sure the tank is venting properly as well. As in, loosen the gas cap and see if the problem persists.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • captb

Posted August 27, 2005 - 01:25 PM

Remove the fuel line see if it has fuel flow, if it does it sounds like crap or water in the float bowl clogged jet. drain the float bowl into a shot glass see if any water or crap comes out. Drain screew in the bottom of carb float bowl.

• ImpalaR1

Posted August 27, 2005 - 01:30 PM

one time i put the floats in backwards, and it wouldn't start, just imagine how stupid i felt once i figured out that dumb mistake...lol.... It just sounds like u have a fuel flow problem...so clean the carb, fuel line's, petcock....

• pelicano

Posted August 27, 2005 - 02:28 PM

thanks guys.

• klegg

Posted August 27, 2005 - 03:20 PM

Here's what I think...previous owner had it sitting in the garage for a while. Impurities in the fuel settled to the reserve tank...ran low on fuel...carb drank the junk from the bottom. I like checking to see if the petcock is clogged, and the filter, but if that does not pan out, you've probably got a main jet clog. Pretty easy to fix...pull of the bowl and you can get in there with compressed air...even a hand bike pump will work if you don't have a compressor.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.