WR 450 Maintenance

46 replies to this topic
  • gdm

Posted August 26, 2005 - 06:17 PM

I'm considering trading up from my trusty XR to a WR 450. I was wondering what the maintenance was like and how hard the bike is to work on? Also, how much oil does it hold? The CRF 450X kind of scares me with its low volume of oil and valve stories I have heard. Has anybody out there gone from an XR400 to a WR? Any info. greatly appreciated.

• clark4131

Posted August 26, 2005 - 06:34 PM

My last bike was an XR600 so I'm familiar with the term "bullet-proof." In comparison, the WR is a dream with regard to performance. The WR is essentially a race bike out of the box, so it has high-performance requirements. Maintenance-wise, it's a little more work, requiring more frequent oil changes and valve adjustments. Aside from that, no worries whatsoever. I believe a complete oil & filter change requires just shy of 1.2 quarts. The valves need to be adjusted after break-in around the 100-125 mile mark, but it really isn't a big deal. After the first valve adjustment, you can usually go a very long time before they get out of spec again. Besides, it gave me an opportunity to learn a lot about dirt bikes that I took for granted when I had the XR, even though I really shouldn't have. Bullet-proof is good, but I got complacent and felt I could let things go longer. I was a long time devotee of Honda, but I rank the WR right up there now, especially compared with the CRF's. I hear now that the X trannies are going south on people left and right. Coupled with the valve issues the Hondas have, I'm extremely glad I went with blue :D ...SC

• dman450f

Posted August 26, 2005 - 07:16 PM

Amen brother....

• Joe Reitman

Posted August 27, 2005 - 05:18 AM

The difference is CRF has separate trans and engine oil, apparently a good thing for the Honda. So change WR oil every couple rides, or every ride if a full day of riding.

I did not adjust my valves yet, now at 147 miles, did not plan to until over 1000 miles. Anyone find valves out of spec earlier than 1000 miles? thanks. :D

• farkawi

Posted August 27, 2005 - 06:54 AM

The Honda XRs are/were among the finest trail machines ever made. The simplicity of maintenance on bikes like the XRs is sadly a thing of the past. All of the new generation of thumpers are more difficult to service and seem to require more attention. Valve clearance adjustment is the most complex thing you will have to learn with the WR. Fortunately, it was easy for me since learning the shim and bucket routine came to me over 20 years ago with my Kawasaki street bike. The "fun" factor of riding the WR will soon overcome any misgivings you may have about a little added maintenance. It is truly a remarkable ride!

• crfdude86

Posted August 27, 2005 - 09:16 AM

man i wish my crf was as reliable as an xr.

• clark4131

Posted August 27, 2005 - 10:04 AM

I did not adjust my valves yet, now at 147 miles, did not plan to until over 1000 miles. Anyone find valves out of spec earlier than 1000 miles? thanks. :D

At around 150 miles I inspected my clearances and had 3 tight valves, 1 intake, 2 exhaust. I believe the manual recommends a break-in valve inspection. If I were you, I'd check it...better safe than sorry...SC

• crfdude86

Posted August 27, 2005 - 10:05 AM

i need to check mine soon. im a little afraid.

• bob333

Posted August 27, 2005 - 10:23 AM

my dads wr426 was out of adjustment at bout 300 miles and was ridden very easily

• mjslim

Posted August 27, 2005 - 10:35 AM

If it were me, I'd get the WR but keep the XR for technical trail riding. I love my WR for high speed desert, but if I ride mountain goat style trails it tends to overheat from lack of airflow through the radiators. The radiators are also a liabilty if you poke a hole in one when you're down in a canyon, 15 miles from the nearest road - there's something to be said for simplicity of design.
If you don't do technical stuff, buy the WR and you'll never look back. It's still a 4 stroke but you can wring it out like a 2 stroke and the reliability is great as long as you do the normal maintenance.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Joe Reitman

Posted August 27, 2005 - 10:37 AM

Looks like I will need to adjust them.....

• griffithds

Posted August 27, 2005 - 09:53 PM

Just had mine checked at 541 miles. Dead center of spec. reqm'ts.

• Joe Reitman

Posted August 28, 2005 - 04:42 AM

541 and good? GLad to hear that.

Clark- any symptoms with yours when out of spec? Hard starting or power loss?

• backinthedirt

Posted August 28, 2005 - 05:25 AM

My last bike was an XR600 so I'm familiar with the term "bullet-proof." In comparison, the WR is a dream with regard to performance. The WR is essentially a race bike out of the box, so it has high-performance requirements. Maintenance-wise, it's a little more work, requiring more frequent oil changes and valve adjustments. Aside from that, no worries whatsoever. I believe a complete oil & filter change requires just shy of 1.2 quarts. The valves need to be adjusted after break-in around the 100-125 mile mark, but it really isn't a big deal. After the first valve adjustment, you can usually go a very long time before they get out of spec again. Besides, it gave me an opportunity to learn a lot about dirt bikes that I took for granted when I had the XR, even though I really shouldn't have. Bullet-proof is good, but I got complacent and felt I could let things go longer. I was a long time devotee of Honda, but I rank the WR right up there now, especially compared with the CRF's. I hear now that the X trannies are going south on people left and right. Coupled with the valve issues the Hondas have, I'm extremely glad I went with blue :D ...SC

It's a shame you don't know what you are talking about. Tranny's going South right and left? Show me a post that substantiates that! We (CRF/X forum) can't find the two people that claimed this happened. No one will post that this really has happened by giving the serial number of the bike and the dealer that is doing the work. I've never understood the "brand loyalty" thing where you have to bash the other brand to sway someone else to buy the same thing you have. It's best for everyone on this forum to present facts and only facts.

Now I heard that all the WR's out there were leaking oil out of the cases because of poor castings. I know it's true 'cause I read it somewhere on the internet!

• clark4131

Posted August 28, 2005 - 06:23 AM

It's a shame you don't know what you are talking about. Tranny's going South right and left? Show me a post that substantiates that!

I'm not "bashing" Honda so you don't need to react like an overly sensitive little girl. :D A non-member friend of mine has two X's that grenaded their trannies within the same week, plus I read it on the CRF forum the other day. I didn't realize you needed VIN's and dealer records for empirical verification. Hello! this is a forum for the free exchange of information. Check your ego at the door please. Do you CRF guys lurk the other forums just looking for someone to say something even remotely disparaging about your bike? That's just what my wife does when she's OTR. BTW, I own 1 car, 2 other bikes, a PWC, a lawnmower, a generator and a pressure washer...guess what, all Hondas!!! :D

Clark- any symptoms with yours when out of spec? Hard starting or power loss?

No symptoms Joe, they were just barely out of spec. You're not going to yell at me too are you? I'm might just have to go outside and shoot myself :D ...SC

• backinthedirt

Posted August 28, 2005 - 11:16 AM

I still won't lower myself to your level with name calling or snide remarks. We all have our opinions and an open forum is a great place to express them. Now to reply to your last post:
We don't NEED Vin numbers for "empirical" verification. We would like to see where in the production run the bikes supposedly were built. It would be great to have a real location, dealer name for example, to find out what really is going on. Did the guy really have a problem or just run it too low on oil. Not many people will admit to a fault. Honda's are machines and anything is prone to a bad part especially a new production run. If there is a problem out there it would be nice to have some real facts. You stated that a friend has TWO X's, that seems unseal but it could be true, that had the tranny's go bad on both bikes in the same week. The odds would be incredibly high for that to be true but I'll take your word for it. I'd sure like your friend to post on this forum and describe what happened.
As far as lurking on a forum, not me. I like Yamaha's and have had several of the two strokes years ago, I would have got the WR450 if we had a dealer in our town. I think the Honda is every bit a good as the WR and I would encourage someone to get the real facts before buying either.
Flame me again if you want, doesn't matter to me. Please encourage your friend to post in the CRF forum and give some more finite information on his two X's.

• dman450f

Posted August 28, 2005 - 11:35 AM

about 2 months ago I was invited to ride dirt bikes with a good friend of mine . when I arrived at camp he walked me over to 2004 CRF 250 R and said , here ya go ! the bike was mine for the weekend . It had been 15 or 20 years since I had ridden real dirt bikes . I was so impressed with the bike that I decided it was time to get some for the whole family . understand that I could afford to buy any bike that I wanted . after 3 weeks of intense research , most of it on this web site , I decided to go with the wr450f and I think I made the right choice . also understand that I have always been a honda fan , I own 5 others, I REALLY wanted the 450x and came pretty close to buying one . the wr won the first shootout that I saw and that said a bunch . I wish the honda was every bit the bike that the wr is , but it isnt.... :D It may be faster ,MAYBE , but the wr is a more dependable machine from what I have read . and I think it handles better too... the valve thing really scared me ,in 06 it may change , but not the 05..sorry...see ya...DC... :D

• dman450f

Posted August 28, 2005 - 11:42 AM

by the way clark, you are a cool cat.. :D

• clark4131

Posted August 28, 2005 - 12:25 PM

Apologies for the flaming, but I didn't launch the first salvo. In any event, my friend is a 20+ year ex-pro racer and bought two new X's from a dealer in the Sacramento area, one for himself and one for his brother. He said they are both the California version with no aftermarket products other than handguards. He has vast amounts of dirt bike knowledge and religiously performs all the maintenance himself with oil/filter changes every other ride at the longest of intervals. He is primarily a recreational woods rider, no longer competing. In his words, the bikes were ridden, but not raced and should not have grenaded like they did. He is going to cart them back to the dealer to have them repaired as he bought an extended warranty on both. He says the dealer told him his situation was not the first they dealt with and they are looking into it with Honda corporate and the word "recall" has been used liberally.

If I get any more information, I'll pass it on to you, but this is what I've gotten firsthand from an experienced owner of two identical bikes with identical problems, there is no inferrence nor implication. The simple fact is both bikes will not shift properly if at all, end of story. Again, if this situation offends you, I'm sorry, but this is what I know and I'm not one to play grade school wee-wee games of "my bike is better than yours, nyaa, nyaa, nyaa." It's what lead me to buy my WR, which is my first Yamaha dirt bike. The 5-Valve system has been proven over the course of 8 years to be the most durable when compared to the CRF valve-train. That is undeniable, and has been demonstrated in all of the mainstream dirt bike literature time and again.

Now please, can we leave the whole Red vs. Blue thing alone? Kerry lost, Bush won, let's get over it, we've got a war to win :D ...SC

• rineholio

Posted August 28, 2005 - 01:18 PM

What was this thread about? I can't remember anymore.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.