How does this plug look to you

38 replies to this topic
  • 4Takt

Posted August 26, 2005 - 04:38 PM

After 30 hours off road. Is it running too lean or just right?

Posted Image

Thanks for looking,
4Takt

• Max Power

Posted August 26, 2005 - 06:11 PM

That plug looks too hot.

Read THIS

• 4Takt

Posted August 26, 2005 - 06:15 PM

According to your link, almost no discoloration of the porcelain part and no metal particles = just right, no?

Trying to learn here.

4Takt

• Max Power

Posted August 26, 2005 - 06:23 PM

According to your link, almost no discoloration of the porcelain part and no metal particles = just right, no?

Trying to learn here.

4Takt

"If the color of the side electrode changes color near where it's welded to the base ring, then your spark plug is too hot"

This is what I read from the info.

• 4Takt

Posted August 26, 2005 - 06:31 PM

"If the color of the side electrode changes color near where it's welded to the base ring, then your spark plug is too hot"

This is what I read from the info.

Does this refer to the spark plug or the jetting?
It's the stock plug the bike came with. Are you saying I need a different plug or a larger main jet?

4Takt

• Max Power

Posted August 26, 2005 - 06:43 PM

Does this refer to the spark plug or the jetting?
It's the stock plug the bike came with. Are you saying I need a different plug or a larger main jet?

4Takt

What bike are you riding?

• 4Takt

Posted August 26, 2005 - 06:48 PM

What bike are you riding?

An XR650R, 4 months old, uncorked (open intake manifold, drilled out stock exhaust, removed airbox restrictions, 68s pilot jet, 168 main jet, sea level).

4Takt

• ImpalaR1

Posted August 26, 2005 - 07:03 PM

Ur plug looks good. here's a good spark plug quote, "They should look a light chocolate brown in color. If , black and sooty the engine is running too rich in the fuel departement or too cold of spark plug. If black and shiny (oily) they are oil fouled. If they are whitish you are running too lean a fuel mixture and/or wrong ignition timing or too hot of spark plug. When you see this, your engine is about to blow up!!!"

http://www.dansmc.com/sparkplugs1.htm

• old man dan

Posted August 26, 2005 - 07:08 PM

It looks a lttle lean to me, i'd always rather err a little rich, no damage that way

• Max Power

Posted August 26, 2005 - 07:10 PM

An XR650R, 4 months old, uncorked (open intake manifold, drilled out stock exhaust, removed airbox restrictions, 68s pilot jet, 168 main jet, sea level).

4Takt

Needle position?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ImpalaR1

Posted August 26, 2005 - 07:12 PM

yea like he said though, better to be rich than lean......

• Max Power

Posted August 26, 2005 - 07:13 PM

Ur plug looks good. here's a good spark plug quote, "They should look a light chocolate brown in color. If , black and sooty the engine is running too rich in the fuel departement or too cold of spark plug. If black and shiny (oily) they are oil fouled. If they are whitish you are running too lean a fuel mixture and/or wrong ignition timing or too hot of spark plug. When you see this, your engine is about to blow up!!!"

How's mine look?

Posted Image

• 4Takt

Posted August 26, 2005 - 07:20 PM

Needle position?

Right in the middle. Neglected to say it's the "competition needle", not the stock one (forgot the number code).

4Takt

• ImpalaR1

Posted August 26, 2005 - 07:20 PM

"If , black and sooty the engine is running too rich in the fuel departement or too cold of spark plug."

• 4Takt

Posted August 26, 2005 - 07:25 PM

"If , black and sooty the engine is running too rich in the fuel departement or too cold of spark plug."

What are you referring to? My pic?

My plug's black only on the metal thread body, are you saying it's too rich/hot? :D

Is there anybody here who actually understands this matter, or is everybody just guessing along? :D

4Takt

• Max Power

Posted August 26, 2005 - 07:26 PM

Interesting.

• ImpalaR1

Posted August 26, 2005 - 07:29 PM

Whats interesting? Just check out these two links
http://www.dansmc.co...gs_catalog.html

• Max Power

Posted August 26, 2005 - 07:30 PM

Right in the middle. Neglected to say it's the "competition needle", not the stock one (forgot the number code).

4Takt

Cool. We call that the No. 3 position. Sorry to be such a pain in the ass but what is the plug No?

• ImpalaR1

Posted August 26, 2005 - 07:31 PM

What in my pic are you referring to?
4Takt

When u get a new plug, the cap is white, that's what i'm referring to.

• 4Takt

Posted August 26, 2005 - 07:32 PM

Cool. We call that the No. 3 position. Sorry to be such a pain in the ass but what is the plug No?

You're not a pain, I appreciate the help.

It's whatever comes stock, I'll have to check it tomorrow.

4Takt

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.