NEUTRAL SWITCH COVER

5 replies to this topic
  • jim-in-so-ore

Posted March 16, 2001 - 02:00 PM

HAS ANY ONE INSTALL THE NEUTRAL SWITCH COVER THAT STROKER HAS IN THEIR CATALOG? IS IT NESSESSARY OR JUST ONE OF THOSE "COOL" THINGS THAT LOOK GOOD BUT DON'T REALLY DO MUCH?

• Hick

Posted March 16, 2001 - 02:30 PM

Without looking at the catalog I can’t be sure but I think what you are referring to is a cover that replaces the sensor. So I guess if you remove the gear pos. sensor then it is necessary. Otherwise it will look cool on your workbench because it won’t be on your bike.

If it fits over the gear pos. sensor to protect it, well, I ain’t heard of that gizmo yet. Unstick your “Caps Lock” key and tell me what it does and how much it is, my credit card ain’t maxed yet.

I’ve never heard of anybody breaking this sensor, but it does seem a bit vulnerable, and if you broke it you could lose a lot of oil in a hurry.

I hope this helps (but I doubt it will).

• MN_Kevin

Posted March 16, 2001 - 03:13 PM

From what I understand, the neutral switch was added to increase weight, and NOTHING ELSE!! It has no purpose, like Captain Duncell (from the original Star Trek series).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bill

Posted March 16, 2001 - 04:09 PM

Per MotocrossAction the peice is refered to as "unnecessary foof". It is the neutral switch cover.

There is an electronic ignition control located behind the shift lever. The switch controls RPM on european sound tests. The switch limits how far the YZF will rev while in neutral to pass an FIM sound test.

This cover will allow you to remove the switch and fill the hole. Also as per MXA, this only applies to 98 & 99 bikes. DO NOT do this mod on the later model bikes.

The cost from Terry cable is $16.95.

Man, I read to much :)

Bill

------------------
86TT225, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC.

• Scott_F

Posted March 17, 2001 - 07:56 AM

jim and Hick, save your money and just cut off the harness. Remove the spring and ball. Clean up the rough edges on the molded plastic insert and reinstall it. It will be lighter and cheaper than the billet aluminum part.

• MotoGreg

Posted March 17, 2001 - 04:49 PM

Ya, the switch doesn't do anything. You can just cut off the wires if you want. I got the aluminum one from Stroker just incase a rock ever got tossed up there and cracked the plastic one and let all the oil come out.... that's the reason they made the aluminum ones.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.